DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm running a 600w amp, will I get better bass if I pushed let's say two 300w subs or two subs that can handle much more power, like 500+w each? What if I hooked up two 1000w subs to that amp? Will I get the same "thump" and sound quality as I would if I were maxing out two subs?

What's better?:
2 1000w subs on a 600w amp
Or
2 500w subs on a 600w amp
Or
2 300w subs on a 600w amp?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If I'm running a 600w amp, will I get better bass if I pushed let's say two 300w subs or two subs that can handle much more power, like 500+w each? What if I hooked up two 1000w subs to that amp? Will I get the same "thump" and sound quality as I would if I were maxing out two subs?

What's better?:
2 1000w subs on a 600w amp
Or
2 500w subs on a 600w amp
Or
2 300w subs on a 600w amp?
It's just really not that simple, but lower rated subs do tend to be more sensitive. So the 300 watt subs would be louder (maybe), but if you wanted more, you would have to upgrade subs and amp. If I were you, I'd go with the higher power subs while planning to upgrade to an appropriately powered amp in the future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that getting a bigger amp with bigger subs would give me better results but I'm asking: without upgrading my amp, what would be louder?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
It's just really not that simple, but lower rated subs do tend to be more sensitive. So the 300 watt subs would be louder (maybe), but if you wanted more, you would have to upgrade subs and amp. If I were you, I'd go with the higher power subs while planning to upgrade to an appropriately powered amp in the future.
OP ^As mentioned^
The ones with a higher sensitivity rating will sound louder.

Do you want SPL or SQ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If every spec imaginable is exactly the same besides RMS...which will be best? Or would there be no difference?

Mainly talking about db but I do care about sound quality...but what would be louder db-wise?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
If every spec imaginable is exactly the same besides RMS...which will be best? Or would there be no difference?
No difference.

Mainly talking about db but I do care about sound quality...but what would be louder db-wise?
Neither... that is where you probably want a ported box, as they are louder than a sealed box.
If the woofer is not great in a ported box, then you got the wrong woofer.
Or you got the wrong amp, if you want it to just be louder...
How loud is it and how loud do you want it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have a 600w amp (tested at 645w) with one 12" Kicker CompQ (850w)...deciding on what to get next...I want two subs because it'll be louder than one because of more cone (air pressure) and the CompQ is a dual 4 ohm so I don't wanna get another CompQ cuz then I wouldn't be pushing my amp at 2ohms, it'd be 4ohms which means my amp would only put out about 300-325w total...so I want two dual 2ohm subs and was wondering if I should get two 300w subs or two subs that could handle more....right now I'm thinking two 10" kicker compVRs (350w each)...trying to upgrade without spending money because I'm selling my CompQ with box...

I'm getting a "weekend car" soon and will be doing some extravagant things with the interior as a whole soon so I'm not worried about doing much to this car...I'm done customizing this one

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Well I have a 600w amp (tested at 645w) with one 12" Kicker CompQ (850w)...deciding on what to get next...I want two subs because it'll be louder than one because of more cone (air pressure) and currently have one 12" kicker CompQ (850w) but it's a dual 4 ohm so I don't wanna get another CompQ cuz then I wouldn't be pushing my amp at 2ohms, it'd be 4ohms which means my amp would only put out about 300-325w total...so I want two dual 2ohm subs and was wondering if I should get two 300w subs or two dual 2ohm subs that could handle more....right now I'm thinking two 10" kicker compVRs (350w each)...trying to upgrade without spending money because I'm selling my CompQ with box...
You maybe should slow down a bit?

I am not sure upgrading from a 12" to 2x 10" is going to be a lot louder.

How much louder than it is now, do you want it to be?
If you know ^that^, then some decision can be made as to how to achieved that goal.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I remember when I wanted to be loud, loud, loud.. it's fine and game untill you hurt your ears and can't play music so loud or can't hear your music properly... Or you have a constant wine in your ear from different pitch of high frequency.

If you want louder, get 2 12 or 15, in 4th order box, get a good amp 2 k w rms. Upgrade your electrical and your inside speakers and power them up with additional amp.

U wanna be loud sure, out some money out and stop playing around with 10". Everything cost, you won't make big boom with 600 w rms. Just saying brother.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying to get the absolute most out of 600w RMS...and I know the more cone size, the louder because it's pushing more air... I'd run 6 15" 100w subs if I could 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I'm trying to get the absolute most out of 600w RMS...and I know the more cone size, the louder because it's pushing more air... I'd run 6 15" 100w subs if I could 🤷🏼‍♂️😂
Is it for a 600w competition?

Why not 18"?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember when I wanted to be loud, loud, loud.. it's fine and game untill you hurt your ears and can't play music so loud or can't hear your music properly... Or you have a constant wine in your ear from different pitch of high frequency.

If you want louder, get 2 12 or 15, in 4th order box, get a good amp 2 k w rms. Upgrade your electrical and your inside speakers and power them up with additional amp.

U wanna be loud sure, out some money out and stop playing around with 10". Everything cost, you won't make big boom with 600 w rms. Just saying brother.

I know, trust me...but like I said, I'm done with this car...focusing on my next car now but if I can do a little upgrade along with looking cooler 😎 while spending no money, then I will 🤷🏼‍♂️😁

For my next car I'm planning on two 15" L7 Q series (1200w each) with the old-school kicker 2500.1 amp from back in the early 2000s...then getting big-time midranges with big-time bullet tweeters running on a big-time 4 channel amp or two 😎 all inside a little early 2000s Corvette 😂

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I don't know buddy... Save your ears...

You can't do much with 600 w rms. You need an upgrade
My current setup
2 Audio Control 1500 per sub in IB configuration
1 Audio Control 1200.6 for my front stage
400 w rms to mids and 120 to wideband Audioble Physics

Now this system rocks !!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Good luck with that. This hobby will drain you. Wish you good luck... Because without spending $ you won't get much... You need power to creat power... :)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Good luck with that. This hobby will drain you. Wish you good luck... Because without spending $ you won't get much... You need power to creat power... :)

I dunno if he used a bandpass and large diameter sub, it would not get quieter...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You could only get so much with 600 w rms. my point is, if he wants more .. he needs to upgrade,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Actually, giving myself more cone will make it louder without adding more power because it's creating more air pressure...was just wondering if there's such thing as going too big on the subs (wattage wise)

I know all about the money and what it takes to make a crazy system...been doing it for 19yrs. and counting...had my first system before my first car lol but I've never heard the answer to my original question after all these years so I figured I'd ask the internet 😁

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
You could only get so much with 600 w rms. my point is, if he wants more .. he needs to upgrade,

Yeah I know your point...
More amp is obvious, but he resists.
If he keeps the amp, then he needs a bigger sub or a different box.

Something has to change as there is no free ride.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Actually, giving myself more cone will make it louder without adding more power because it's creating more air pressure...was just wondering if there's such thing as going too big on the subs (wattage wise)
Why do you think that subs are given ratings?

And are you talking about "too much" in reference to the sub rating or amplifier rating?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts