DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an install in my 08 corvette. Let me start by saying that I am looking for crraaaaazzyy sound quality, annd a very versital system that will play the entire range.

I spoke at legnth with a tech/installer at JL yesterday(i like their products and plan to use them for this) He thought that I should put a JL c5 component set in the doors, along with 8 inch woofers for mid bass and run these channels off of JL HD 600...he also added that I should place a second set of tweets in the dash and run them off the same power source.

I was planning to add a 10" w6 for sub, and the tech says he thinks I would be impressed if I used the new w5 thin...I plan to run the sub(S) with the JL HD 750.

My original plan was to put the best component 2 way I could find in the doors, a ten inch w6 sub out back and power all with the JL HD 600... I am not opposed to spending the extra on the new setup idea, I want the best, I am just not sure if it is "too much" in the small cabin of the c6 Corvette.

sorry for the long post, any help is much appreciated.:D

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would hit up jowens500 on here. The shop he installs at has done a lot of Corvettes using JL products.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Chopshop, from one corvette guy to another. Hold on to your money and read here for a month or 2. This place has all you need to make an informed decision. If you really want sound quality, you gotta do your homework. if you follow this advice, your system will sound better for less money. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The JL "tech/installer/SALESMAN" is trying to sell you what you don't need. Your original idea is an excellent starting point. Hang out here for a while and read up. This site is a great reference if you can get past some of the chaff.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The JL "tech/installer/SALESMAN" is trying to sell you what you don't need. Your original idea is an excellent starting point. Hang out here for a while and read up. This site is a great reference if you can get past some of the chaff.
Thats what I figured, he gave me the ever so classic " I'm about to put the exact same thing in my car". I know about some stuff, but have been out of the loop for a while and need to catch up. I see a lot of guys on here are piecing together 3 way components and that seems to be what they think is best. Thoughts??? This is where I hit my biggest snag.. A lot of the brands, etc. that I see guys listing are ones that I haven't heard and am not familiarized with. Its hard to judge what would be best for me based on not hearing different things, and I am at a shortage locally for cars to hear.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Not that this will help you, but quite some years ago i looked up information...I.E.

where a contest was being held [ city, county, state .... date, time, place ... etc.., ].

Then I would plan to attend it ;)

I found this approach invaluable to me ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that this will help you, but quite some years ago i looked up information...I.E.

where a contest was being held [ city, county, state .... date, time, place ... etc.., ].

Then I would plan to attend it ;)

I found this approach invaluable to me ;)
Thats a great piece of advice!! Thank you very much for bringing it up, I think that will help me out a ton.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
an example of a high end corvette install. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/33471-2008-c6-corvette-install-you-guys.html

I've had some JL components and wasn't that impressed.

One thing you will find is that installation and tuning are paramount to good sound. If you plan on diy then you will need to learn how to get the most out of the install. You can get most of what you need from this site. Be prepared thought, it is addictive! :)
I have done some install before, and I agree, install is the biggest part of the battle once high quality components are selected.

What JL comps have you had and what didn't impress you about them???

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of the reading I have been doing on here has now brought me to anew question...Am I better off just piecing together high quality pieces to create my own set of comps???

·
Registered
455 Posts
depends. What hu are you going to use? how will you process?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
All of the reading I have been doing on here has now brought me to anew question...Am I better off just piecing together high quality pieces to create my own set of comps???
Piecing together your own Drivers usually requires going Active unless you have a Passive Crossover specially built.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what I am having trouble with... I have never pieced my own together before..I have the $$ for the equipment but need some help from a knowledge perspective. I figure, the system will have more versatility and ultimatly be way more tunable. Is it possible to choose the three components and have a custom crossover built and set up, then be able to tune from there???? Thank you very much to all who are giving input, I am anxious to get to the next step in audio quality and need some help!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
It isn't reasonable to buy a bunch of raw drivers then design a passive xover and expect it to be tunable from there. You'll need some kind of processing to handle it. It can be built into a head unit or can be via an add-on unit ..

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Thats what I am having trouble with... I have never pieced my own together before..I have the $$ for the equipment but need some help from a knowledge perspective. I figure, the system will have more versatility and ultimatly be way more tunable. Is it possible to choose the three components and have a custom crossover built and set up, then be able to tune from there???? Thank you very much to all who are giving input, I am anxious to get to the next step in audio quality and need some help!!
Madisound Speaker Components | Assisting speaker builders for more than 25 years.

You can buy raw Drivers from the above link and have them build a Passive Crossover for you. I don't have personal experience with how well they will work because I'm running Active.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It isn't reasonable to buy a bunch of raw drivers then design a passive xover and expect it to be tunable from there. You'll need some kind of processing to handle it. It can be built into a head unit or can be via an add-on unit ..
What can I add for an add on unit??? I appreciate your patience, as I said, I am new to the idea of having an active set up.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts