DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 months of installing, I finally got a chance to listen to my system and it sounds great! My question is where do I measure the RCA voltage (before or after the MS8)?

Since my MS8 is mounted under my passenger seat it was easier to measure it at the amps. According to my Steve Meade CC1+, I was getting distortion when my Kenwood HU was at 27 out of 40. This was done with a max (0db attenuation) 1khz and 40hz test tones.

This headunit is rated at 5v out but, most people say that HUs never achieve the max rating. MS8 max rating is 2.8v but, needs to be set up at 2v.

Also if I am overdriving my inputs MS8 can I just turn down the volume on the MS8 since I am using my Kenwood as the volume control?

My JBL MS8 sounds awesome in full 7.1 surround mode but, I would like to max sure no one clips my equipment so I am trying to make it GF friendly. So she can use the entire HU volume range.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would think volume on the ms8 controls and nevertheless​ tell your gf it can technically get louder. Lol I have the same worry's the struggle is real brother

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KillerBox

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
After 2 months of installing, I finally got a chance to listen to my system and it sounds great! My question is where do I measure the RCA voltage (before or after the MS8)?

Since my MS8 is mounted under my passenger seat it was easier to measure it at the amps. According to my Steve Meade CC1+, I was getting distortion when my Kenwood HU was at 27 out of 40. This was done with a max (0db attenuation) 1khz and 40hz test tones.

This headunit is rated at 5v out but, most people say that HUs never achieve the max rating. MS8 max rating is 2.8v but, needs to be set up at 2v.

Also if I am overdriving my inputs MS8 can I just turn down the volume on the MS8 since I am using my Kenwood as the volume control?

My JBL MS8 sounds awesome in full 7.1 surround mode but, I would like to max sure no one clips my equipment so I am trying to make it GF friendly. So she can use the entire HU volume range.
The distortion that the CC1 is measuring can be coming from either the head unit clipping or the head unit clipping the inputs on the ms-8, or both. Only way to know for sure is to test before the ms-8.

The 2 volt recommendation for the ms-8 is the range where you'd set the amp gains so that the ms-8 doesn't have too loud a volume to calibrate at. The input range has nothing to do with that. Though it probably falls in that range when you are setting up the head unit input level when calibrating the input side.

Lowering the volume on the ms-8 won't remove distortion from the head unit (naturally), not will it remove clipping from the input stage of the ms-8. It will just lower the master volume output through digital attenuation in the DSP. IOW you'll have a lower level distorted sound leaving the MS-8.

If you want to make it a worry free setup, just lower the volume on the ms-8 to a point where the speakers don't sound acoustically strained and don't worry about a clipped input signal from the head unit or a clipped input stage on the MS-8. It won't damage the speakers compared to a clean music signal at that lower power setting. It's not different than listening to a crappy heavily compressed and studio clipped track. One is just clipped by you, the other comes that way. The MS-8 won't know the difference.

Nice setup by the way. :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
IMHO the definitive post by Andy Wehmeyer on MS8 gain setting ..... covers the topic for MS8 including your Q's about what happens in the MS8 when gain is 'wrong':

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1073797-post3690.html

Just FYI

PS this among the valuable info by Andy in the PDF linked in my sig-block ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts