DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I was finishing up a design for a ported box, and I was working out the port size/length issue and the port noise issue. Basically my question boils down into this:

If I take my finished port, cut it in half, and then use those two halves effectively as two ports and put them side to side. Would it double the port area and alleviate any port noise issues if you where having them?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Alright so I was finishing up a design for a ported box, and I was working out the port size/length issue and the port noise issue. Basically my question boils down into this:

If I take my finished port, cut it in half, and then use those two halves effectively as two ports and put them side to side. Would it double the port area and alleviate any port noise issues if you where having them?
You are gonna need to model that in some software, it does not work that way.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

If you double your ports normally you will have to double the length and port area.
So you create more of what your trying to tame in a sense.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you have port area X, and create two separate ports in the same enclosure with a combined port area of X, then it should be the same. Port location and phase will change depending on whatever you decide on. But as chad was saying, check out some software like winisd and see what effect ports have on frequency response. If you are mainly looking to minimise chuffing, then I would flare both ends of the ports. It will help, but you still need to have proper port area first.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
If you double your ports normally you will have to double the length and port area.

Nope, we have been over this.

you are guessing, model it.

If you have port area X, and create two separate ports in the same enclosure with a combined port area of X, then it should be the same.
same deal.. I'm searching for the thread......

I REALLY don't wanna do this over again

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
A pic is worth a thousand words......

Notice that neither of those vent length are even CLOSE to X2 for doubling area, but what I did not show is that it's very dependent on volume of the enclosure as to when that ratio closes down... And that's "fukin huge" in size.

Gotta remember, you have an "air spring" and a "resonator" those two products will play the entire part of a vented enclosure, you can't eyeball it.

You are dealing with resonation, you gotta put a little Tesla into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts