DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a question for ya'll. These Audiofrog G60's came up from a discussion I was reading and so I looked them up. However I'm not quite grasping how these are wired and their final impedance. So they have 4 crossovers. 2 crossovers that you wire inline with the tweeters and 2 crossovers for the woofers. So they're not like a normal external crossover where you have one input and then two outputs (One for tweet, one for woofer). For these you need two inputs, yet they say that they only need one amp or headunit channel for both tweeter and woofer. Now let's say you were going to wire these to headunit power (Because I have a Sony capable of 45w rms). Now what I would do is twist the two positives (One coming from the tweeter xover and one from the woofer xover) coming out of the x
20210607_153507.jpg
overs and then connect both of those to the positive coming out of my headunit? And then the same for the grounds? So that would mean that there would be 3 wires connected at both crimps. Doesn't this change the impedance? Wouldn't that be a parallel connection and half the impedance or am I over complicating it?
I'm not actually looking to buy these, this is a theoretical question because some day I'd like to wire two speakers to each front channel on my headunit making a 2 ohm load. Sony actually shows this in the headunit manual(the unit is fine on 2 ohms) and says to wire two speakers together on each front for "high output playback". Hopefully I'm explaining things clearly. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It will be 4ohm or whatever the AFs are. Frequencies are split
You could bi amp these..ie tweeters on front ch and mid in rear. In this way, you could balance per your target “curve”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be 4ohm or whatever the AFs are. Frequencies are split
You could bi amp these..ie tweeters on front ch and mid in rear. In this way, you could balance per your target “curve”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see. Then could anyone tell me how to wire 2 four ohm speakers in parallel to the speaker leads of say the front left on a headunit? This is something that has confused me for a little while.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
I see. Then could anyone tell me how to wire 2 four ohm speakers in parallel to the speaker leads of say the front left on a headunit? This is something that has confused me for a little while.
from the picture, take the two speaker leads on the left side of the picture and splice them together so you now only have a single positive wire and a single negative wire and wire those to your HU.

Reactions: LimpCroissaint

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from the picture, take the two speaker leads on the left side of the picture and splice them together so you now only have a single positive wire and a single negative wire and wire those to your HU.
Ok thank you. And does this change the impedance?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. I suppose I should have included this in the manual. Connect the input + from eachj crossover together. Then connect the input - connections together. Then, connect those to the output of the radio or the amp or whatever.
Ok cool thanks for the input. I didnt realize that you were a direct input to Audiofrog itself. That's cool to see manufacturers directly answering questions on forums. Keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh shoot ok, thanks for letting me in on that. Well Andy that's pretty awesome that you're here hanging out with the rest of us!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats what i like about a lot of newer component speakers. Theyre becoming much more installer friendly. With many newer cars its hard to find places to stick stuff but having everthing seperated helps a great deal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what i like about a lot of newer component speakers. Theyre becoming much more installer friendly. With many newer cars its hard to find places to stick stuff but having everthing seperated helps a great deal.
Ya I can see how that would definitely make things a bit simpler.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agreed. At the end of last year I put a set of infinity reference woofers in the doors running on stock power, ending up having to run wires through the grills and putting the x-overs in the door pockets,... was anything but an elegant solution. Especially with them encased in styrofoam (to eliminate rattling) and plastic bags it looked quite bad but functioned well.

I know I could have spliced them into the wires before the doors but there wasn’t enough exposed wire to be able to re-connect (wasn’t sure if I was going to keep the car past this summer) and I only started getting into car audio last October so I’m building my system piecemeal, I made the mistake of thinking I was going to stop after each upgrade.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. At the end of last year I put a set of infinity reference woofers in the doors running on stock power, ending up having to run wires through the grills and putting the x-overs in the door pockets,... was anything but an elegant solution. Especially with them encased in styrofoam (to eliminate rattling) and plastic bags it looked quite bad but functioned well.

I know I could have spliced them into the wires before the doors but there wasn’t enough exposed wire to be able to re-connect (wasn’t sure if I was going to keep the car past this summer) and I only started getting into car audio last October so I’m building my system piecemeal, I made the mistake of thinking I was going to stop after each upgrade.
I always think every upgrade will be my last for a while too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts