DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am new to this forum but I usually post on Caraudio.com and sounddomain.com. Anyway, I have a few questions. I have a pair of LCY130 ribbon tweets and a pair of SEAS L18RNX 7" woofers. I'll be putting these in an Acura RSX. I want to run an active setup. Anyway, I am completely lost when it comes to aiming these tweets. I hear some people say put one of them on axis and the other one off axis. What's the proper way? Also, how do I crossover these tweets over? I hear some people say to use a first order butterworth and others use a different method. Here's a list of all my questions:

1.) How do I aim my ribbon tweets? I'm in the process of building kickpanels for them. Driver and passenger side the same? Or different?

2.) What's the crossover frequency that everyone is using? And how do I go about doing it (i.e. what type of capacitors or inductors do I need to use)?

3.) How many watts are people putting on there ribbon tweets? I want enough to allow dynamic headroom.

4.) Also, is there a website or book to simply and better understand all these crossover frequency stuff?

Thanks for everyones input!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wow a lot of LCY-related questions lately. With the L18, crossover at 1900Hz 4th order should work pretty well, maybe 2000Hz. LCY 130's are really big for tweeters. I don't think you can mount them on the deck, but what I have done is mount them vertically at the rear. If you do a good job it might even look good, and slightly blocking the rear view isn't much of a deal. If using 4th order have your tweeter and woofer close to each other, if using really high orders then you can place them anywhere. Ribbon tweeters use very little power but I don't really know how much, I get conflicting data, some say they measured ribbon tweeters to eat up more peak power than a 12" subwoofer. IMHO the headunit is more than enough to power tweeters.

There's a lot of websites for the crossover stuff. Most people on this forum would probably think that drivers are the most important, but IMHO crossovers are equally important. They make a huge impact on the sound, it's just that most crossovers "suck" unless you have drivers that are easy to tune, so they sound equally sucky.

·
Registered
415 Posts
just aim them inbetween both seats..

its kinda hard to tell in the car because theres so much reflections and the disbursement is so wide...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
cotdt said:
I don't think you can mount them on the deck, but what I have done is mount them vertically at the rear. If you do a good job it might even look good, and slightly blocking the rear view isn't much of a deal.
you mounted them in the back?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts