DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. So I finally got my stereo installed in my car this weekend. It was all gear that I pulled out of my old ride that's been sitting for a couple of years, and there was some trouble shooting involved. Long story short, both crossover boxes for my front components are bad. The right side I get no sound out of at all, and the left side I get scratchy/muddy mids and no tweeter. I've bypassed the box to verify, but haven't powered the tweeter cuz I wasn't sure if I would damage it feeding it a signal that my headunit can only crossover at 250hz at the highest.

Anyway, to finally get to the question. The components in question are Polk MOMO mmc5250, I bought them a good 15 years ago and thus I'm having trouble finding replacements. There's a couple in ebay but I worry with their age I might be buying parts that don't work. Would it hurt anything to grab a set of crossovers from a different set components and run them? Maybe from the Polk dB line or something? Those seem newer and more readily available.

The long term fix will eventually to be get a new modern set but for now I'd like to try to rig a fix. Is this a bad idea?

· Registered
2,207 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying random crossovers from other sets. Save yourself the headache and replace the set completely or find the correct crossovers.

$50 each on this ebay listing.

The other option is to go active with a 4 channel amp and some type of DSP or headunit with DSP.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate that link, thank you very much! My setup does have a 4 channel amp in it already, if that matters. I guess to follow up, if I were to bypass the crossover directly into my tweeter, Id be safe to just feed it a high test tone to make sure it's working properly before dropping the money on the crossovers right? What's the lowest those kind of things are designed to play? I've always heard feeding a tweeter low frequency is the quick way to blow them, but i want to make sure they are for sure functional before buying the crossovers.

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Appreciate that link, thank you very much! My setup does have a 4 channel amp in it already, if that matters. I guess to follow up, if I were to bypass the crossover directly into my tweeter, Id be safe to just feed it a high test tone to make sure it's working properly before dropping the money on the crossovers right? What's the lowest those kind of things are designed to play? I've always heard feeding a tweeter low frequency is the quick way to blow them, but i want to make sure they are for sure functional before buying the crossovers.
crossover is 2275hz 2nd order

You could use test tones or bandpassed pink noise (you can create these in REW). Careful with input level with tones.

Tweeters, like any transducer can be damaged by over excursion so you need to high pass them. When running active some folks add a capacitor to protect the driver just in case (an inline capacitor is a 1st order HPF).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.