DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello DIY folks,

I have installed one 12" ADS 312.RS.2 4ohm DVC Sub. in my car. The sub. has the the ability to bi-amp the coil individually (one channel per coil) without any problem. thus, I want to know about the setting on the Amplifier and HU. The Amp. has 3 setting: Stereo, bridge and mono. Which setting should I use?? I don't use the build-in crossover and let it bypass and control the cutting frequency from my HU. My HU also has the option to switch the sub. channel to stereo or mono. which one should I use?? My current setting is: HU-stereo, Amp.-Mono. Should I set HU-stereo, Amp.-bridge; HU-mono, Amp. Stereo or both mono? Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
head unit to mono

bridge the amp and wire the sub coils in series or parallel to get the final load you want to place on the sub...

sounds like you should do a little reading at Basic Car Audio Electronics

sounds like some searching and reading is in order for you. you really ought to understand what you are doing before you go doing stuff like this.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
While you "can" connect the coils seperatly, you wouldn't get any sort of stereo seperation from it... DVC subs are simply meant to give you 2 options of impedance load VS a SVC sub...

So, in my opinion you should wire the approitae load on the sub (weather 2ohm or 8ohm) and run the amp in mono.. What I don't understand is the amp settings of "Stereo, bridged and mono" is the amp a 4ch amp or a 2ch amp? Usually with a 4ch you can only "bridge" 2 stereo channels into mono, leaving you a 2ch amp...

A 2ch amp you simply bridge to mono..

I would use the mono setting in the HU as well... unless you were using a pair of subs and had them amped seperately, then you could use the stereo function.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My ADS amp (PowerPlate) power output is:
4ohm 4 [email protected] or bridge 2 [email protected]
2ohm 4 [email protected]

Quoting from ADS sub manual:
"...Each of the 3-series woofers has dual 4-Ohm voice coils. These may be used individually on separate amplifier channels, or they may be wired in series or parallel. Connecting both voice coils of a single woofer in parallel creates the equivalent of a single 2-Ohm woofer. Connecting the two voice coils in series will create the equivalent of a single 8-Ohm woofer. When using a pair of woofers on a pair of unbridged amplifier channels it is best to parallel the two voice coils of each woofer, and connect each woofer to it’s own dedicated amplifier channel. This will give you a 2-Ohm load for each channel. When using a single woofer per pair of amplifier channels, connect each voice coil to it’s own channel instead of bridging the channels as you would for a single voice coil woofer. This will result in the best damping factor and assure tight, controlled low-frequency performance..."

Also from ADS Amp. manual:
"...Some a/d/s Subwoofer models feature a dual coils in parallel will result in a 2 nominal impedance, which is not recommended for use with bridge channels of your PowerPlate..."

I use channels 1 and 2 from the amp to run my component speaker in front and the rest 2 channels are "bi-amp" to the sub to each voice coil. So, my sub will have 200watts. If I bridge channel 3 and 4, it is 4 [email protected] but I can't connect only one voice coil in my sub. ( I try it before and the amp become hot!!!). If I parallel the Sub, I can only utilize either channel 3 or 4 [email protected] load of 185watts. one channel will be left unused. I have not tried series wiring because the manual does not say bridging 2 channels @ 8ohm load.

Actually the best solution is adding another sub and wire them parallel and connect them individually to each channel so I will have total of 185wattsX2=370 watts. or do series/parallel wiring scheme which still come out 4 ohm and wire them in bridge channel and get 350 watts. Well, my car's space is limited, so...

I know it sound weird to many of you but so far the sub is still running in good shape!! Ok, back to you guys' opinion, I will set from my HU and amp both mono.

Thanks guys...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts