DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When wiring up an amp....what order to you connect it in? Do you hook up Positive first and or Negative first?

Also when you attach the connections should they be dead and then at the end plug them in positive?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
131 Posts
read your manual most manuals ive read tell u to go power ground remote (kenwood excelon x1200m...and a pice of crud pyle amp i had)

as with any electronical addition you should disconect the negative battery termanal before you do this.......but its up to you ....

your in line fuse SHOULD be discounected while installing and taking out your amp(s)...put a fuse in after you hav it installed...

as for speakers/subs...if you have the subs wired properly (series/paralle) for a certain load then it does not matter what order...just make sure + goes with + and - goes -

MAKE sure you have a GOOD ground...and paint sanded off aroudn the grounding area

·
Registered
100 Posts
disco the neg ative at the battery , hook up positive and negative to amp - then reconnect your ground on the battery -- dont forget your fuse !!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Remove negative battery terminal...

put your **** together...

reconnect your battery.

Or you can just pull the main fuse if this isn't a new install.
technicaly ur supose to pull neg no matter wht....i have not done it (i just pull the fuse like you)...but if **** does go wrong youll feel pretty stupid for not spending the 30 seconds or les to disconect the battery

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks guys...!
^.^ very welcome hope you have fun instaliing..the excietment of a new amp always kills yea....take your time and do it right and you wont be (like me) kicking yourself later

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So In other words I make all my connections on the amps...then hook up the ground back to the battery and then connect the fuses?

Or hook up everything attach the fuses and then hook up that grounds?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought you thanking the board was affirmation that you understood what was to be done.

Doesn't really matter what order. Just don't work with hot wires.
I thought it was I just figured I would confirm that. So I attached everything to the amps, +, -, rem., RCA, Speaker wire

Now do I hook up the + on the battery and the - and then attach the fuses right?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought you thanking the board was affirmation that you understood what was to be done.

Doesn't really matter what order. Just don't work with hot wires.
wht he said...

basicaly find a place for you wires run them to your trunk......BEfore u think about installing the amp make sure u splice the power wire as close to the battery as possible and place an inline fuse (if using 4 gauge around 100-125amps is need to protect the wire..dont go above 125)...now you should disconect the battery when u conect the power wire to the battery....once you wired...who cares take the main fuse out and the wire wont be live (like i said 30 seconds of prevention can help tho)

IMHO it doesnt matter what order u hook up your amp in as long as u do your power and ground cable before you do the remote and other wires (shouldnt matter either since wires arnt hot but i dont make amps and thats wht manuals say)

so if u want a summary.....
run you power wire through your car.....

find a place on the cars frame to attach the ground....sand the paint off around the are so its bare metal...use a self taping screw (or a bolt thats around the area) and secure it in place

disconect the negative terminal on the battery...splice you power cable and put your fuse holder on...make sure fuse is removed...hook to positive side of terminal...(at this point you could hook the battery back up since there is no fuse on the power wire the wire cant be hot because there is a broken conection)

now go back to your trunk...hook it up in the manuals instrution...i have not seen it diffrently than POWER GROUND REMOTE....(if battery is disconected it does not matter in the slightest..if you hooked it back up just make sure you do power and ground before other ****)

once everything is installed properly including subs and speakers hooked up to amp (hook up the battery if u havnt) place the fuse in...start your car...and hopefully enjoy your new sounding tunes

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry guys I just blew up a couples amps and want to double and triple check everything!

So I can have the RCA's and everything hooked up when I attach the fuses then and it doesn't matter

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm sorry guys I just blew up a couples amps and want to double and triple check everything!

So I can have the RCA's and everything hooked up when I attach the fuses then and it doesn't matter

just to be clear when doing anything your car should be off and make sure ur deck is too

when u make the wire HOT EVERYTHING should be conected....technecally you shouldnt conect or disconect rca cables or speakers while the car is on or wire is hot....

when u place the fuse in everything should be hooked up (the in line fuse by battery)

now ihave yet to smoke an amp (well not entirly true but that was a manufacturing problem) but if you turn you car off and need to switch some SPEAKER or SUB wires....or maby change you RCA cables...fine

BUT...................

if you need to MOVE DISCONECT OR ADD A NEW AMP (in other words touch the power cable ground or remote wire in any way shape or form) you should disconect the fuse......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~my $0.02 on amp frying( dont need to read)~~~~~~~~~~~
and although i dont no what set up u have how much power your running etc...you gains on your amps should nvr be cracked more than 80%....75% is a more perfable max (sub amps anyway) if your using bass boost or HU EQ featres make sure your not distorting you bass or speakers...once you start cliping it doesnt take to long to fry your amp or your subs

and IDC what you heard..when ur playing with subs its better to buy subs equal to or less than the power of your amp...if its a good sub it will handel the overdriven system (may need subsonic filter to not have over excursion at lower tones)..using subs rated above you amp say two 750rms subs (1500rms total) on a 1200rms amp..they will run but u have a greater chance of overdrivng your amp than if you used two 500rms subs (1000rms total) with that 1200rms of power..u overdrive the subs a bit but with subsonic filters and low pass filters u can esaly rectify that problem

the whole underpowering your subs is bad means **** man dont listen to audio stores stay here and ask...it is possible but not by what most people think in (rms wattage and such) jusy buy equal to or less than...but make it close...obvioulsy a 300rms subs running with 1200rms may give u some problems

·
Registered
131 Posts
Foolproof method:

Disconnect the neg batt terminal.

Connect everything EXCEPT the negative battery terminal.

Double check connections.

Then put the terminal back on.
umm yea simply put ^ you could never short your amp with stray curent/power that way with the power source gone (and ur car off) u run no risk

like i said tho u can change rca and speaker conects with ur car off (if ur affraid too just discounect the fuse breaking the circut making it safe)

so if in doubt at least disconect the fuse or disconect the battery

1 - 19 of 19 Posts