DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
final quick build log of the morning. running on coffee and fumes here lol

there was a time, over a decade ago, that i worked on quite a few honda s2000s...oddly enough, after i moved to california, wher I expected the place to be run amok with these, this is only the 2nd one i have worked on.

This build on a 05 model was a very basic passive two way setup and sub. the front end work was handled by Jesse, while i did the trunk.

the goals:

1. improve the oem sound quality while maintaining a totally stock appearance in the interior

2. locate the amp and sub in the trunk storage well but take up zero space elsewhere

lets get started.

first, a quick look at the car, as mentioned, even though they are common, this is only the 2nd time i have touched one in cali (the first was back in 06).

for the signal source, jesse installed a pioneer 8700BHS single din unit, which is hidden nicely behind the stock folding door:

the harness was nice and neat:

for the front stage we went pretty basic, a set of morel tempo ultra 6.5" point sources were chosen for the oem location. jesse ran new wires into the doors, sound proofed the door and door card with a combination of foam, cld, and blackhole tiles, fabricated a set of adapter rings coated with truck bedliner, and secured everything:

the wires were bundled up neatly and run into the trunk, where i took over and secured them to oem cables and wiring and leading down into the storage well:

moving to the main trunk build. so here is the normal view with everything covered up. a new enclosure is now located in the storage well, sunken down slightly and wrapped in trunk liner. a single breathable cover hides the components:

pop off the grille and you see a single audiomobile GTS2110 10": subwoofer on the left, and an arc audio xdiv2 600.4 4 channel amp on the right, each trimmed in graphite vinyl. for a little extra cosmetic touch, i added a silver painted plexi bar in the middle to separate the two cosmetically. the amp sends 150 watts x 2 upfront to the morel pointsources, and 300 watts to the sub. nothing too crazy, just clean and functional:

some quick build pics of the enclosure/amp rack.

first, the well was taped off and 6 layers of fiberglass laid down:

when that cured, i trimmed it to the desired shape and topped it with another piece of 3/4" mdf. then i added the top spacer baffle for the sub and spacers for the top floor to go around the amp:

then i fabricated the two trim pieces to go around the sub and amp, with a rounded over edge where the silver painted acrylic bar will go, and wrapped them with graphite vinyl:

this is the silver acrylic bar before and after sanding and painting:

and finally, here is everything in place and wired up:

this is the top floor panel before and after carpet:

and this is the breathable grille before and after carpet:

so thats it, as basic as it gets for us...sonically its worlds better than stock. the tempo ultra point sources, while not quite the same speaker as the tempo ultra components still is a nice budget minded all in one driver. good mibass and good detail. the sub comes through the cabin pretty well for a convertible, as there is a passage way in the trunk that leads into the cabin where the spare tire resides. its not SQ monster by any means, but it achieves the customers desires well which is to have a nicely balanced basic system that he can enjoy even with the top down on the highway...where the stock system would have been completely drowned out :)

so thats it for now, back for more active install logs soon!

Bing

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without any time alignment and other tuning tools beyond a simple 5 band eq...imaging isnt really this cars thing :) the stage is right on the dash tho.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How much do the GTS subs go for? I have a FRS and want to do something simple like this. I was considering the same amp also but will do components instead of the point source drivers.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much do the GTS subs go for? I have a FRS and want to do something simple like this. I was considering the same amp also but will do components instead of the point source drivers.
they retail at 250. normal sale price could be closer to 200ish depending on dealer.

its a good all around sub and shallow, whcih is why we use it a lot.

b

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
nice and clean. Have you tried the new audiomobile evo as of yet? Do you find much of a difference from the gts and elite line subs?

I think just adding a deck with time allignment would help out this system a lot if he plans to upgrade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You guys knock out some serious work!!!!!
I've asked and never got a response on your facebook page but on a BMW trunk install you guys were able to get the trunkliner to a LIGHTER shade , I'm really needing to do this as the colors are too dark or too light, the darker being closer.
Please help me out!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
beautiful work
sorry to bump an old thread, I recently picked up a 1 owner S2000 and am in dire need of upgrading the..everything..lol

I keep entering this thread, mainly because I'm between the thought of going balls out on a front stage, or just toss in a less expensive component set to get adequate sound..it's a difficult car to value the cost/benefit on :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts