DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time, we get requests to return a car to stock as the customer is selling it, however, more frequently, because of our style of work that takes away very little of the car's utility, the customer ends up selling the car with the system in place. Even more rare is when the customer gets a new vehicle and we can directly swap everything from the old car to the new one...as often, they want to upgrade and do something even better for their new ride.

But in this case it made complete sense...the customer has only installed a simple SQ build into his STi a years ago:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/164115-basic-sq-install-14-sti-review-morel-tempo-ultra-arc-mosconi.html

but he has since sold the Sti and picked up a Godzilla. :) And then grabbed a 04 Lexus RX330 as his daily driver, and everything from that build, got switched into the SUV.

The goals:

1. achieve a much higher level of sound quality throughout

2. maintain a totally oem appearance in the interior

3. maintain as much usability, stealthiness and storage space as possible in the cargo area.

Jesse performed all the work on this car.

lets get started.

the JVC double din headunit was installed into the car using a standard dash kit:

at the customer's request, Jesse coverted his cig lighter plug into a USB plug from his headunit:

the backup camera also got transferred from his STi to this car:

the Morel Tempo Ultra system went into the stock location. for the midbass, jesse ran new speaker wires into the doors, and sound proofed the outter door with blackhole tiles, and a combination of GP audio composite damper and STL CLD damper on the inner door panel. a toyota/lexus speaker adapter baffle was used to secure the Morel midbass through oem mounting points:

the door card also received some CLD damper to help with resonance:

the same process was also repeated on the passenger side:

for the tweeters, Jesse created a pair of adapter baffles that perfectly matched the dash speaker and painted them black. the more mounting cups were secured to them, and the tempo ultra tweeters were installed:

the tweeters were then wired up and installed using oem mounting points:

some quick other pics that show the custom welded fuse holder bracket Jesse fabricated, and how the wires were run down the sides of the vehicle, ziptied and organized. since it is jesse after all, we are a bit short on wiring pics :p

Moving onto the main attraction...whcih is the cargo area. the idea, as mentioned, was to be as stealth and space saving as possible. this generation of RX came with a unique spring loaded door configuration above the spare tire, and after a bit of measuring and planning, jesse came up with a pretty good design.

here is the normal view, and as you can see, the only thing visible is a form fitted custom fiberglass enclosure on the driver side housing a single audio mobile GTS2110 10" subwoofer. being that its a suv, a side enclosure is much harder to hide than say a normal car's trunk, where there is a natural indentation for the box to go in, but i think Jesse did a great job in designing the box so that it blends in. With the carpeted grille in place, it is about as stealthy as it can get for a car like this:

pop open the spring loaded trap doors, and here is what you see, on the left hand side, jesse built a simple rack housing the arc audio xdiv2 1100.5 amplifier and the mosconi 4to6dsp. there is a divider in between so the right hand side of the well is still fully usable as storage. its hard to tell from the pics but the drivers side door previously extended all the way under where the subenclosure sat, so jesse peeled off the carpet, and cut the door, and then resecured the carpet after trimming. looks pretty seamless. also, the amp is secured to the factory plastic tray, and all the wires are routed so the tray can be tilted for access to the spare tire. :) but here are the pics:

a few quick build pics of the back...majority of which is on the enclosure. first the area was taped off and 5 layers of glass was laid:

one that cured, jesse trimmed it to the desired shape, and attached the baffle rings with the flush mounting side wall:

then mold cloth was pulled, resin applied, followed by 4 more layers of glass on top. then it was a lot of sanding and shaping until the final product looked like this:

then the enclosure was carpeted, along with the breathable grille, and it was ready to be bolted back into the vehicle:

and here is the simple rack that houses the amp and dsp, it boltes through the bottom of the stock tray and locates everything. it is finished in black carpet. :)

so thats it...a pretty simple project and one of our first where the entire system was swapped wholesale into a second car.

so it is pretty interesting to note the differences in sound between the two cars.

overall, like the sti, its pretty well balanced as the equipment remained the same. the major differences is in the subbass response, which for me, the rx, being an open vehicle, but much larger interior, produced bass that is smoother with more moving air being felt...where as the sti was probably similar volume but you can tell there was zero access between the cabin and the interior.

the change from a pillars to the stock upward firing location on the dash meant that to me, the sti was slightly better on freq response with less issues of reflections. the imaging got deeper, height is lower but still a few inches above the dash, and width is similar. center focus is decent and not unlike the sti, but i think the sti was more focused due to a better interior shape. tonally, midbass is very snappy like the tempo ultras are known for, while the sti i think is slightly smoother and more natural with its A pillars than this car...but for a 100 percent oem looking interior, this car is very nice.

cheers,

Bing

·
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
874 Posts
Clean as always, Bing.
Looks like Jesse has really come up to speed.
It's the small touches that really set the pros apart.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice install! Good job of mentoring! One day soon no one will know who performed the install other than it was done by SiS!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hmm.... Sure looks familiar. ;) Bing, has this guy had any issues with the amp overheating at all? I ask because I think my Mosconi ONE has a bad channel now and I think it might be because of overheating. I still want to check it out fully once again to make sure it is not something stupid I missed on the amp as I still can't believe it. I'm going to send you a PM on this as to not mess this build log up.Very nice as usual too guys.:D

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that floor door really isnt that air tight, and honestly, the class D xdiv2 we have yet to have a thermal issue with them.

i havent seen too many overheating killing amps issue...you could have just had a channel go bad on the ONE imo :)

b

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
that floor door really isnt that air tight, and honestly, the class D xdiv2 we have yet to have a thermal issue with them.

i havent seen too many overheating killing amps issue...you could have just had a channel go bad on the ONE imo :)

b
Thanks Bing, That's both good and bad to hear.:rolleyes: I am just really leery of shutting that door with the new as200.4 in there. That and we are in the midst of one of the nastiest heatwaves I've seen here. Yes, I guess it gets hot even in Canada too occasionally. :laugh:

·
Registered
554 Posts
First very nice job by Jesse. Kudos.

Bing,
I'd like to point out if one were to take off the cloth/cardboard cover that curves around the area where you put the sub there is a cavity there. It measures roughly 6" deep & 7" wide opening allowing a bit more flexibility if one were to go with a bigger sub.
Sorry for the bad pic but off to the right of the towers you can see it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts