DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Quick log of simple CRV build by Julia - Morel, Arc, Mosconi, Audiomobile

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  colled96 
#1 ·
This was a pretty quick and simple SQ build, all the world was performed by Julia. :)

The customer supplied us with all the gear except the DSP, but upon powering up, we realized one of the amps that he had bought online sometime ago was DOA...so as a result, we made the switch to a pair of the arc audio XdiV2 amps.

pardon the lack of pics compared one of my own builds, i am still trying to whip her into shape to take more pics :D

goals:

1. obtain a good level of sq using customer supplied gear

2. maintain full usability of the cargo area and keep everything out of sight.

lets get started:

first up on Julia's agenda is making a metal fuse holder bracket welded to the factory battery tie down:

here are two qucik build pics of the holder:

the signal source starts with a customer supplied pioneer 4000NEX double din headunit. also installed was a backup camera system:

for the front stage he supplied us with a set of Morel Virtus 602 two way components. the midbass went into the stock door location.

first, new speaker wires were run into the door:

the outter door panel received a handful of blackhole tiles:

and then the entire door was sound proofed wtih stinger foam, with a bit of customer supplied dynamat around the sepaker mounting location:

Julia then fabricated two pairs of speaker adapter plates (front and rear door), and coated them with several layers of trunkliner:

the adapters were then bolted to the door using rivetnuts:

while the outter door skin receive some dynamat as well:

the same procedure was repeated on the driver side door, except this time julia remember to take a picture of the virtus midbass installed :D

the customer also gave us a set of focal coaxials to act as rear speakers, the rear doors were sound proofed, baffles installed and the focals wired up and secured...these were simply powered off the headunit:

the tweeters were molded into the front A pillars, aimed relatively off axis and finished in black vinyl:

a few quick build pics of the pillars. first, julia aimed and secured rings to the stock pillar:

then she filled the void with filler and sanded everything smooth to blend it in:

then the pillars were wrapped in black vinyl, the tweeters press fit and installed:

next, she sound proofed some vital sections of the car go area with CLD on the outter door skin and foam on the inner panel:

See less See more
#2 ·
moving onto the cargo area, as mentioned, the idea is to have everything hidden and out of sight, no showiness or flash required. so here is the normal view with the stock cargo mat in place:

lift that off, you see the new floor center section has been built, with a single press fit grille:

remove the grille and here is what you see, two arc audio XDiv2 amps are the front, with a single audiomobile GTS10 10" subwoofer at the back. the 650.1 provides the sub with 650 watts RMS, with a 600.4 sends 150 watts to each mid and tweeter. everything is trimmed in black vinyl:

nothing too fancy, simple and effective.

here are some build pics of the fake floor. first, a combination sub enclosure/amp rack support structure was fabricated and bolted in place:

then the baffle for the amps and the top section of the sub enclosure was secured in place:

initially, the build was designed for the pair of customer supplied amps, but after one of them was found to be DOA, the swtich was made at the last moment for the Arc Audio units. here you see still the focal amps test fitted in place with the top vinyl trim piece fabricated:

and finally, a shot of the wiring for the amps, note the mosconi 4to6DSP on the side of the enclosure. the Xdi v2 amps were the only amps we had that would fit in the space and wiring orientation preset by the focal amps, and they gave the added bonus of being about twice as powerful, so it worked out okay. they are slightly narrower side to side than the focal amps, so julia had to fabricate two spacers to fill the gap on the top floor cutout. Its unfortunate, but it happens. :)

so thats it...i jumped in for a quick, tune session and i have to say, it really sounded quite decent. i have done a lot of morel virtus and this one did really well. imaging and staging were all solid, but tonality wise, it was really really smooth with really good mibass impact. the virtus, out of all the morel speakers, perhaps has the most sizzle uptop and the thinnest midbass (a very relative statement)...but perhaps its becuase of this interior, the door shape, etc, the midbass really did great! and wtih some minor adjustments, the tweeters looked great on the RTA and sounded very natural to me.

pretty cool overall and a good effort for Julias second full install here at SiS. :)

Bing

#10 · (Edited)
I've got to meet this Julia. Works with Bing a couple months and she's already performing all the world! ;)

Those adapter plates look extra slick.

I want to hear one of these properly done single GTS 10 setups to see where I might be able to improve mine. Do they have a 1 Ohm version now? Or is it more like 350W into the 2 Ohm jobbie?
(Just curious because I'm jealous - would love to swap my 4Ohm for a 2Ohm to maximize output from my 500/1D.)

Looks great as always, SiS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.