DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4ohm DVC sub. I have a 4 channel amp that I can bridge to 2 x 240 @ 4ohm. Can I bridge both channels on the amp and connect them directly to each terminal on the sub? What say yo face?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Yes, but you HAVE to use a multimeter and ensure both sides are level matched exactly!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
That is what I've always read. Both coils have to see the same power to operate properly. Something new?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Never has been new.. since the advent of the DVC sub people have been sending RADICALLY different signals to each coil.

Even to the point of changing the drivers parameters by damping one coil with a resistor or even shorting it and driving the other.

http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/content/resistively-damped-operation-test-25/

Back in the day nearly every passive sub was a DVC driver run in stereo with a LPF filter on it.

Even if you forget to hook up the other channel of the amp, the other coil is being resistively loaded as explained above by the output impedance figure of the amplifier, like a percentage of one ohm. It will be just fine, in fact the back EMF of the coil wil be such that the amp won't even know it's hooked up in terms current.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Never has been new.. since the advent of the DVC sub people have been sending RADICALLY different signals to each coil.

Even to the point of changing the drivers parameters by damping one coil with a resistor or even shorting it and driving the other.

MSS Articles - Resistively Damped Operation Test

Back in the day nearly every passive sub was a DVC driver run in stereo with a LPF filter on it.

Even if you forget to hook up the other channel of the amp, the other coil is being resistively loaded as explained above by the output impedance figure of the amplifier, like a percentage of one ohm. It will be just fine, in fact the back EMF of the coil wil be such that the amp won't even know it's hooked up in terms current.
Now that I think about it, I think it was the subwoofer manufacturers saying they had to be matched perfectly for some reason. Learn something new every day. Thanks Chad!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if Niebur3 was initially wrong, what a great notion to point out and genius of a chad to set us straight. This forum never fails me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts