DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! hopefully i can get a quick answer as my dad is waiting for me to choose my christmas present! ;)

Gfs mum bought me some second hand Alpine spr-17c's for the front.

Now my dad has offered me 200 bucks NZ for my present, the spr-17cs for the back are 300 so I cannot buy them

Now I can get either pioneer ts-d1720c's, for $200 or ts-d1602's for $183 for the back.

I read everyone saying that components in the rear is just wasted money.
What if the difference was only 13 bucks? the RRP for the coaxials is 300 bucks, and the rrp for the components is 450 bucks, so I figured the components are clearly better then the coaxials - at least for the front speakers, but I have already got components in the front.

If price didnt matter, I would be better off with the components right? even though you arent supposed to have them in the back - I could just disconnect the tweeters, and have the woofers for added oomph or something?

What do you guys think? Are there any real CONS to having components in the back, apart from the money is more (because in this case its only 13 bucks!)

I am leaning toward the components, because they would be on par with the fronts, and I hear the pioneers deliver more of a bright sound, and the alpines have a warmer sound, so if I got components I could just swap them around in the future if I ever wanted a change...

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Yes, the con is that they draw the sound backward and muddy it. Think the same sound, but at two different tonalities (due to different speaker enclosures) arriving at different times.

If you want rear speakers because you carry rear passengers, and the speakers are in the doors, then maybe it's okay. If the rear speakers are behind their heads in the rear deck, it's all bad.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sonically I don't see why there is going to be a difference between coaxials or components in the back. It just seems like a waste of _effort_ (besides the money) to try to install components in the rear. Most cars have cut outs for woofers alone, without tweeters in the rear. Besides mounting woofers, you also need to figure out where and how to install the tweeters and also the crossovers.. why so much complexity for speakers that are valued so little by car audiophiles?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Are rear speakers a priority? If I were you i'd invest those 200 bucks on an amp if you don't have one or on some sound deadener such as CLD and CCF to treat the front doors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your help guys

Okay, so maybe its not a good idea to get components in the rear.

I was hoping I might be able to install them with the crossovers, but without the tweeters, so they would be more of a woofer then speaker set, with lower notes coming from the back.

I have instead decided I will get the Alpine SPS 600 coaxials in the back - they arent as high quality as my front components, but it will emphasize my higher end front speakers more, I will amp the fronts and run these sps 600's off of the headunit, so the fronts stand out more, and the coaxials in the rear just add a little fill. I also read that the sps 600 can deliver a bit of bass which would be nice.

So hows this looking, amped (~120w rms) Alpine SPR-17 type r 6.5" components in the front, and running the SPS-600 off the headunit? Then I was thinking about getting a 10" sub, I want to keep some room in the trunk for my mountainbike and I hear that a 10" gives a tightier bass then a 12 or 15"(subjective statement to the quality of the driver, I imagine), which sounds ideal for this as its going to mainly be a drum and bass application, fast paced technical heavy and tunes so a more responsive sub sounds good, I am not going to be listening to any rap and I do not want any of the "you can hear me before you see me because I have king kone in the trunk" crap- I just need some loud and clear drum and bass
(might get an alpine cde123 for the headunit)

what do you guys think? :D

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I was hoping I might be able to install them with the crossovers, but without the tweeters, so they would be more of a woofer then speaker set, with lower notes coming from the back.
Be careful about this. Many crossover boxes are not designed to run only woofer or only tweeter. You could short the circuit, at best blow some fuses, at worst destroy your amplifier. If you want to run just the woofer, it's easier to just wire it directly to the amplifier with a correct type of inductor soldered in line. This should create a 6dB low pass filter at whatever frequency you need. 2KHz should be alright. For rear fill that should be good enough. Actually, this method would not be bad to use with coaxials as well. Some people argue that effective "rear fill" speakers should be time delayed, attenuated, bandpassed, and sent a L-R "difference" signal. It's hard to get these things right without an advanced processor, but bandpass+attenuation is easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for your help guys!

I might look into the 8" - id preferably like to buy second hand though, and that might be hard to find in New Zealand...

Anyway, I got my alpine type R's and I installed them today. They are running off a crap headunit :( a Sony xplod cdx-gt160 or something. So they are getting starved for power, but its just temporary.

Now the thing is - I need to get a headunit and THEN an amp. So its going to be a little while before I can get them amped up properly.

Until then, they are going to be running off a headunit. They dont go loud and they start to distort a little bit if I turn them up loud... is this going to damage the speaker at all?

Will I have to run them quietly until I can get an amplifier?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Be careful about this. Many crossover boxes are not designed to run only woofer or only tweeter. You could short the circuit, at best blow some fuses, at worst destroy your amplifier.
That's unfortunate. I'm not the most knowledgeable about passive crossovers, and I'd like to see some proof of this. I'm doing this exact configuration with passive crossovers to do a pseudo-active setup, with the midbass drivers bandpassed by my head unit and my tweeters handled by passives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts