DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I used some OEM looking mesh. That was the grill for the last Volvo project we did. It was a faux center channel grill that went at the top of the shroud I built to cover the HVAC display.

That was a test piece, what grill material did you actually used for that project?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I used that method back in 2001 to implement a cold air intake on my CBR929 front fairing. I used aluminium for my template since I was working with 3/16" tolerance. But it is amazing how similar our minds works when we need to achieve something.
I was thinking about pressing grills when I made the video. I think the first one I made was in 1994. It was a grill for an MB Quart 8" midbass in the door of my buddies Probe GT. We rebuilt the door and made a grill. It is funny back then it seemed crazy to take the time to build the pieces to make the jig, and now it is no big deal at all.. lol

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do you keep all the different jigs then? Would seem handy on some of the more basic small shapes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh yeah! For sure.. I keep a mental inventory of what I have and always try and work in an existing grill into something I am building..

Do you keep all the different jigs then? Would seem handy on some of the more basic small shapes

·
Registered
977 Posts
Oh man. Glad i saw this in the feed to remind me.

Been looking at air jacks. The 12 ton bottle jacks are as much as the 22 ton heavy duty ones on amazon but i could invert the bottle jack! Lol.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Before I had a press available, a decent bench vise would usually do the trick for softer/finer mesh grills that aren't too big, like the one you showed in the video. Or even a "dead-blow" hammer or sledge hammer has worked when away from the shop/garage, LOL.

I've also seen people place the jig under their vehicle tire and just drive over the jig, LOL. Use whatcha got I guess, LOL. :p

Nice video, Joey! Let's see more "master tips"!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts