DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had Infinity components in my car for four years now, but the tweeters have gone very quiet. Nothing has changed with the setup, but I do tend to play it very loud at times. What should I be looking at? They're driven by a JBL power amp.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Sounds like you have them blown. Are they ran active or passive ???

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. They run off the crossovers on the big speakers. I would have though if they were blown they just wouldn't work at all?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Cheers. They run off the crossovers on the big speakers. I would have though if they were blown they just wouldn't work at all?
They would but also since you have them on a passive crossover, something might be happening with that as well. Best way to check it is too get another tweeter and see your results by replacing the one that you think might be bad. If that's the case and it's both of them, it might be your crossover's going bad.
If the crossovers are fine and there is no damage if any kind than I would think it's the tweeters. Yes tweeters could be blown/broken and still work just not to full potential.
Or it could be hearing problem which I hope that's not the case here.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers. My hearing is testing fine, much to my surprise lol. I have these in four doors, I think one of them is louder than others so I might swap them around and maybe see what's going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use a meter and test the ohms of the tweeters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers. What reading should I be getting? Somewhere in the range of their stated ohms? Do I need to unsolder both connections? The tweeters are still working, just really quiet, will the meter still reveal the problem?

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Cheers. What reading should I be getting? Somewhere in the range of their stated ohms? Do I need to unsolder both connections? The tweeters are still working, just really quiet, will the meter still reveal the problem?
Just use an SPL meter while playing a 10kHz tone...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi, I've had Infinity components in my car for four years now, but the tweeters have gone very quiet. Nothing has changed with the setup, but I do tend to play it very loud at times. What should I be looking at? They're driven by a JBL power amp.
Let's try to narrow things down a bit... because at this point; we're just throwing shit against a wall, and hoping something sticks.
  1. I understand that you have these setup with passive crossovers. Correct?
  2. Are they installed in 2 doors? Or 4 doors?
  3. Have all the tweeters gone quiet? Or just some (or one) of them?
  4. (if the issue is with multiple tweeters) Did they all go quiet at the same time? Or have they been dropping one at a time?
  5. Did it just happen suddenly? Or has it been gradually dropping?
  6. Please share the model number of your amp, as well as the model number of your component speakers.
My suspicion is that you had a power surge from your amp, and it has cooked one (or more) of your passive crossovers.
By answering the above questions; we can start to narrow things down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's try to narrow things down a bit... because at this point; we're just throwing shit against a wall, and hoping something sticks.
  1. I understand that you have these setup with passive crossovers. Correct?
  2. Are they installed in 2 doors? Or 4 doors?
  3. Have all the tweeters gone quiet? Or just some (or one) of them?
  4. (if the issue is with multiple tweeters) Did they all go quiet at the same time? Or have they been dropping one at a time?
  5. Did it just happen suddenly? Or has it been gradually dropping?
  6. Please share the model number of your amp, as well as the model number of your component speakers.
My suspicion is that you had a power surge from your amp, and it has cooked one (or more) of your passive crossovers.
By answering the above questions; we can start to narrow things down.
Thanks for replying.
1. Yes, there are factory crossovers on the large speakers.
2. Four doors
3. I had a good listen. I put my ear against the tweeter. Two have very little output, i.e. I can just hear them slightly but can fully hear the main speaker, one is a bit louder and one is completely quiet.
4 & 5. I'm pretty sure this has been happening gradually.
6. the amp is a JBL GTO-504EZ. I can't find the speaker models but they're a high-end 6" Infinity component which were suitable for the amp.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Usually a clipping amp creates a lot of high frequency harmonics that a passive cross over sends to the tweeters... and the tweeters get overpowered.

Using a signal generator and a scope, one could verify that the amp is providing the signals to the speaker. And an SPL meter can verify what the speaker's response to that signal is.

Assuming that the speakers are blown, then there are no real options other than new speakers.
If the ears are blown, there are also no real good options.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This is simple, measure the resistance across the + and - terminals of all like tweeters at the crossover terminals so you include the wiring and all connections in between. They should all be within 1 or 2 tenths of an ohm of each other. If it’s a 4 ohm tweeter than it will likely read slightly less like 3.7 ohms and if it’s an 8 ohm tweeter than somewhere between 7 and 8 ohms. If the resistance values read high, or one is significantly higher then the other, then suspect corrosion at play here, especially if any of that stuff runs through a moist environment like a car door. If it’s something like a corroded speaker terminal then just clean it, apply silicone grease, and reconnect it. Don’t forget to retest. I’ve had speaker terminals that got corroded inside a door cause the volume of the speaker to be reduced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update on this, thanks for all the replies. I bought some Cerwin Vega tweeters and simply swapped them in and now it sounds amazing.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts