DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent about 9 hours yesterday applying layers of raammat and ensolite to the front doors in my Honda Accord. The driver's side door took about 6.5 hours and the passenger door took about 2.5 hours. Amazing how much easier the second door is once you know what you're doing.

I'd say the improvement in SQ from my fronts was extremely noticeable. It's totally subjective, but if I had to put a number on it I'd say it was a 15-20% improvement in SQ. I rated the SQ at about a 6 before the raammat and now I'd say I'm exceeding a 7.

Besides the 7 cuts on my hands and lower arms, I feel like I've got "nintendo thumb" on all my fingers. Reminds me of the summer where I spend a week digging a giant stump out of my parents backyard.

At any rate, the stuff is addictive. Now I want to take the second half of the roll and put it on the floorboards. Maybe next Saturday . . .

·
Registered
85 Posts
At any rate, the stuff is addictive.
Very much so. I originally ordered half a roll from Rick to do my doors. At the end of the whole thing... I ended up buying two more whole rolls to do the whole car. Love the product.

·
Registered
727 Posts
the more the merrier

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
id say each $1 spent on deadening is worth $8 in equipment.

a very simple instal in a dead quiet car will be much better then a very expensive system in a noisy car.

always.

unless you never drive your vehicle.???????????

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have yet to do any deadening to my new Jeep. I plan on getting Raam and Ensolite, any suggestions or helpful tips ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The doors are invaluable. Load as much as you can.
I have found that as far as the rest of the car the newer it is the less dampening helps.
I may take flack for this on here, but I'm not sure a complete tear out of the interior for sound deadening is worth it if you are rolling in a car only a few years old. Especially if you are a mere weekend warrior with the audio thing. Chassis have gotten so much stiffer and heavier of the years.
As an example, I was impressed with the difference a complete coat of mat and ensolite on the chassis (complete gut) did for my 99 Subaru. I would say the SQ of my 2003 Subaru is comparable to this with only the doors done.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was really only planning on doing the doors and if I noticed any rattles or whatever then go at them

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rick is the MAN!!! i have bought alot for installs, forced people to see the light and personally installed in my car 100 sq ft of the BXT and about 50 sq ft of the Ensolite and now that the carpet in my car doesn't fit right my car is significantly quieter. I have wasted so much of my early install years on that crappy Dynamat xtreme and like many of you i have the scarred fingers to show

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
A roller and a spreader can take a lot of the pain and suffering out of deadening installs.

Make sure to pick up a roller or two, and a spreader. The stuff you'd use to laminate.

·
Registered
380 Posts
my favorites over the years are:
rubber roller, box knife, utility scissors and a snap-on angled hook tool for the hard to reach places and thye handle end is rounded and slick which is great for big sections

·
Registered
267 Posts
I also think raammat is pretty damn good for the price and I've used a variety of materials. When I was done I'd added nearly 9lbs to each door and they were already heavy. Haha, sounds fantastic. You can feel the boom throughout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts