DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just replaced the radio in an excavator and I am having weird issues. Sometimes the radio will turn on with the ignition, other times it won't. Then to fix it I have to plug in the radio with the ignition off and then turn the ignition on to get it to work again. But turning the ignition off will make it stop working again. This doesn't always work though so I'm puzzled about what is wrong with it. Its a brand new Pioneer radio. The wires always have the correct 12 volts on constant and 12 volts on the ignition wire when it's in the on position. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Where do you have it grounded, pictures would help with this one, I don't know that Crutchfield has that in their catalog yet. I have had a Chrysler ground off the antenna shield and cut out until I looked into it. More info the better, model numbers and pictures please.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I assume the radio just plugs into the factory ground through the harness? I’d double check and make sure every wire is either soldered, or crimped firmly with butt connectors. Just make sure there’s a good physical connection everywhere on your harness.

If that’s good, you could cut a bit of wire insulation back from the pos, remote, and ground wires after any connections and before they go into your harness. Then, re-create the problem and meter those 3 wires. That’ll tell you if the radio is good or not and you can put a little heat shrink over the small cuts you made.

I like having some multimeter probes with needle tips so I can pierce insulation in times like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The radio is grounded on a harness that is connected to a 24v to 12v converter. The converter is grounded to the metal cab on the same bolt as a couple of other grounds for things. I'll be able to take pictures tomorrow. One thing I noticed though is moving the antenna line cable close to the converter converts a bunch of interference sometimes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has to be a ground issue because I removed the ground cable for the radio harness from the converter and could get the radio to power on but then after a while even though it was in a different spot it stopped working again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Using a multimeter should easily show you what is missing. Do a few continuity check on the ground. Make sure LESS than 1 ohm.
Voltage check on the harness when it doesn't start up.
Use a different ground when it is missing. If the voltage is now present, it's a ground issue.
Different ground shows the same missing voltage, its a voltage issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have checked everything and I have come to the conclusion that it is the radio itself. The old radio never had this issue. I only replaced it because it was an old cassette player radio and I wanted Bluetooth. When the radio doesn't work everything still checks out. Voltage is correct, wires have continuity and 0 resistance. I'm going to exchange the radio and see if it works then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts