DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new set of Rainbow Germaniums in the Jeep. They are replacing a very high end combination of actively driven SEAS W16NX mids and LCY-108 ribbons. My first impression of their performance was that they were not only substantially below the set they replaced, but frankly that they were not a very good set at all. They sounded lifeless, veiled, lacked dynamics and lacked any high end extension. Very disappointing. I did replace the Arc Audio SE 4200 & SE 2300 with a JL Audio 300/2 & 500/1. I could not get much usable volume and dynamic response out of the system. I kept checking the gains of the amps, output voltages, switched the amps between high and low input sensitivity and got the Rainbows as good as they could sound. Still unimpressed, I decided to tear it all back apart and switch the crossover settings of the Rainbow comps, to take the protection circuits out of the signal chain. Abra Cadabra!!! they sound AMAZING! Two completely different sets of comps with and without the protection circuits. They are now dynamic, extended and detailed. If you listen to the Rainbows keep the protection circuit in mind, I would be extremely surprised if you like them better with it, than without it. I still have to "dial them in", but everything is going in a positive direction now.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Two things... those tweeters take hours to break in, as 6spdcpe has advised me, and there are a LOT of xover settings in the Germaniums along with protection, to experiment with.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I installed some Germaniums in a guys dodge ram a couple months back. It was the best passive system I have heard. Tons of mid bass and the tweeters sounded great. The crossovers are HUUUGE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, they're allright active too...I ran some once off of Butler Tube Blues (bridged TDB475 for mids and TDB2150 for tweets). Didn't love the tweeters, but I was more than happy with the midbass :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts