DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I'm torn between buying some Rainbow SLC's I found on eBay for $200 or ordering speakers from Madisound.
I already searched through this site and it seems like you guys recommend Silver Flutes and Vifa tweets. What's a better deal?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Rainbow speakers are great, you really can't go wrong with them. Now granted if you wanted to save some money and you probably will with the madisound speakers you mentioned then go that way. Another thing to not though is that while the silver flutes have given some people great results there was a lot of effort put into the install to make them work. With the rainbows you won't have to worry about that. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had the same question not too long ago. The rainbow slc were one of the sets I was looking at but in the end decided to go the diy route. I was blown away to say the least. Imo diy offers a greater bang for your buck than comp sets. Before I did my 3 way I used the rs180s and the vifa tweets in a 2 way and it was phenomenal. For the money I spent I was more than satisfied especially comparing it to other comp sets ive had in the past.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have to put any extra work into it like kizz was saying? I'm confused on what that would be exactly

·
Registered
696 Posts
Luckily sites like madisound and p.e have the exact measurements of all the drivers. So I would definitely do some measuring beforehand. For example with comp sets they say theyre 6.5 but most are 6.75. When I looked at diy most of the 6.5s are closer to 7. Just make sure your measurements are on par along with the depth. Thats one thing that makes buying comp sets easier. Seems like you did it already but make sure each driver compliments one another. Diy definitely takes more homework on the buyers part but its definitely worth it. Were you planning on going active?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Just watch the efficiency rating of those 8-ohm speakers. They often tend to be higher (louder) off less power than their 4-ohm counterparts.

Are you building your own crossover? Or just using one from another manufacturer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd much rather buy a premade one. I'm thinking a 2nd order 2.5khz from parts express. Is that good if I used the silkie or should I cross them lower?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get the rainbows or something if you are going to use a prefab crossover. It might make sound....and sound ok, but without the ability to tweak and get the crossovers just right it will never be as good as it should be. This is why most DIYers go for the active crossover route.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts