1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
pretty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats not even a fair comparison. SLC's are entry level stuff. I hear the Profi's are quite good, but ECA would be a better place to ask.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ask long enough & you will find what you want to hear or at least someone that will swear by them...

The question is.... how do they compare to DIY drivers similarly priced?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My advice is to stay away from these kit with midwf with phase-plug. It's badly designed and airflow trough gap between cone and phaseplug is very noisy. A friend of mine owned that kit and i owned a version without phaseplug (model CS265). This one is much better, but still, it has some very nasty peak at around 2 or 3khz and it could not be completly removed even with custom built xover...only with active xover it is somewhat inaudible. Other than that, tw is very good, and midwf can play really low and loud, it's just that it has limited Xmax (i guest it's around 4mm one way) and cannot play loudly low frequencies.

I now own a combo with Seas L18RNX-P + tw Hertz Space 1 and it's totaly different story, u can guess it's far better.

PS: 650$ is overpriced in every way, where i live, they are selled for about 500$ (US).

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Interesting that he also has a picture of what appears to be the Reference line posted with this listing. :confused:

·
Registered
397 Posts
acousticguitar said:
Thats not even a fair comparison. SLC's are entry level stuff. I hear the Profi's are quite good, but ECA would be a better place to ask.
from where i'm from, the Soundlines (SLC) cost around $260.. w/c is more than my ca18+lpg combo.. Thus, the comparison.

·
Registered
58 Posts
true, but many ppl picked up the SLCs for more like $150 ;)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
mojako said:
wow that's cheap.. overpriced here eh?
No, they were liquidated from the old distributor- stock 2-3 yrs old, not even the current SLC's.

The 05 SLC's6.5's do retail for $260.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
airj said:
My advice is to stay away from these kit with midwf with phase-plug. It's badly designed and airflow trough gap between cone and phaseplug is very noisy. A friend of mine owned that kit and i owned a version without phaseplug (model CS265). This one is much better, but still, it has some very nasty peak at around 2 or 3khz and it could not be completly removed even with custom built xover...only with active xover it is somewhat inaudible. Other than that, tw is very good, and midwf can play really low and loud, it's just that it has limited Xmax (i guest it's around 4mm one way) and cannot play loudly low frequencies.

I now own a combo with Seas L18RNX-P + tw Hertz Space 1 and it's totaly different story, u can guess it's far better.

PS: 650$ is overpriced in every way, where i live, they are selled for about 500$ (US).
the '05 Profi Phase Plug set is $769 msrp per Rainbows official price list. They can be had right under $600 around my way.

I have ran the Phase plug driver active, up to 3.5k 12db slopes and installed many passive sets, never encountered such 'noise'. Perhaps you were running an older version of the driver? I dunno, strange. The driver is build and finish is impecable IMO

Its a very snappy driver with excellent midrange. I think its very much comparable to the Seas Lotus mids.
So to say they are overpriced makes no sense, being the Lotus set isn't quite cheap either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All I know is this ebay seller takes the best pictures of his items I ever recall seeing. He sells highend stuff all of the time, most recently some Focal BE midbass pair, midrange pair and the set of BE tweeters...

·
Registered
30 Posts
3.5max6spd said:
the '05 Profi Phase Plug set is $769 msrp per Rainbows official price list. They can be had right under $600 around my way.

I have ran the Phase plug driver active, up to 3.5k 12db slopes and installed many passive sets, never encountered such 'noise'. Perhaps you were running an older version of the driver? I dunno, strange. The driver is build and finish is impecable IMO

Its a very snappy driver with excellent midrange. I think its very much comparable to the Seas Lotus mids.
So to say they are overpriced makes no sense, being the Lotus set isn't quite cheap either.
I bought them in 2003 as did my friend..it seems that the old version is worse than 2005 verison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts