DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and happy New Year from Singapore.

I am upgrading my audio for '18 range rover Velar. Current setup is just base 250w, no Meridian. And it sounds horrible (3-way in front, 2-w in back).

Im no expert (you are!), hence appreciate your advise.

I just ordered Focal ES165KX3 for the front. Can you advise on the best options for the rest?

1. I want to leave the rear speakers unchanged. I keep 2 of them, and disconnect rear tweets. Is this generally a good idea to leave crappy speakers in the back? (Im on a budget).

2. For amp/dsp, local audio guys (in singapore) recommend the Helix V Eight. I am looking to spend $1k -1.3k on the amp. Hence the amp will power 6 speakers in front and 2 in the back, hence 8 im total.
3. Sub ... i am looking for a 250w unit. What is the best option to power the sub? A separate amp, connected to the head unit, or connected to Helix V Eight? Or a sub with built-in amp?
4. Any other advise ?

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I am more curious how you’re gonna tap the signal from HU in RR Velar. Velar’s HU is a delicate device. Did your local audio guys advise on that? If you can safely tap the signal, then the remaining are pretty straight forward.

If you plan to use V 8 with Focal ES165, you may want to omit its passive Xover and go straight to each speaker to maximize output. I’d suggest to get a separate amp for your sub. You already spent a lot on Velar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

I am more curious how you’re gonna tap the signal from HU in RR Velar. Velar’s HU is a delicate device. Did your local audio guys advise on that? If you can safely tap the signal, then the remaining are pretty straight forward.

If you plan to use V 8 with Focal ES165, you may want to omit its passive Xover and go straight to each speaker to maximize output. I’d suggest to get a separate amp for your sub. You already spent a lot on Velar.
Thx lethehammerfal for those advises. My local shop did other Range Rovers and they think there should be no issues hooking HU with DSP. But frankly they did not work on Velars. Issue is, Singapore is a small island with very few RRs , so the shops don't have a ton of experience... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, dumb question. To power 120 RMS speakers, is it enough to have a 50 RMS amp? My audio guy says it does not really matter for sound quality. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thx lethehammerfal for those advises. My local shop did other Range Rovers and they think there should be no issues hooking HU with DSP. But frankly they did not work on Velars. Issue is, Singapore is a small island with very few RRs , so the shops don't have a ton of experience... I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Good. Let us know. I am also curious. The new RRs are complicated machines

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, dumb question. To power 120 RMS speakers, is it enough to have a 50 RMS amp? My audio guy says it does not really matter for sound quality. Any suggestions ?
My experience taught me that one must have more power headroom, 20-50% of stated requirement. If I were you, I’d get at least 150watt amp to fire 125watt speakers. I am old school, not really updated with recent DSP technology

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help pls ! So I've completed my build as per below, and it sounds horrible even though installed by a reputable shop. Sounds like I'm sitting in a bucket, and my ears are stuffed after a few minutes (even tho I reduce bass to minimum). Installer said "give it time to break-in", but it sound so bad i can't even stand to play at low volume to break the speakers.

I plan to visit the installer in a few days, any suggestions where to focus?
1. I already checked polarity, looks good.
2. Played with EQs, only marginal improvements.

My system is:
1. Head unit - Range Velar
2. Amp/DSP - Helix V Eight DSP
3. Front : Focal ES165KX3 3-way
4. Rear: stock Velar speakers , passive crossover
5. Trunk sub : active JL Audio ACP112LG-TW1
6. Dynamat 4 doors

·
Registered
14 Posts
what are the details? like how did the tuning go? cross overs? TA? active or passive set up? cable layout? how did the installer tap the HU signal? is it directly from HU or car amp?

correct install will not yield in horrible sound, regardless necessity to break-in or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts