DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been sadder in this hobby. I'm taking a minute for what might have been the best midrange for me:

I'm listening to its brother who made the trip from Denmark safely. It's absolutely one of the most gorgeous sounding drivers. I NEED two to make it work...:bigcry: Since these are possibly unique I'm at a huge loss.

Everything was going along so nicely, I made the previous owner a what I think was a generous offer. He shipped them less than 2 weeks ago from DK. I was happy to get them so early, I opened the box and got one out...perfect condition. I bragged and smirked all weekend only to find out Sunday night the other is completely...dead. The basket is broken in more than 5 places, the cone is bent, the coil is partially stuck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Waiting (hopefully) for the response about a shipping insurance claim and a replacement that the seller can supply. :crossesfingers:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
That thing got smacked up like a *****.

Sad to see something like happen to such an undeserving specimen.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seller emailed me to ask for pics. He is going to file a claim with the shipping company. I still want these speakers in my car though :(

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
How were they packed?

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Damn,

That sucks so bad. I feel your pain man. You shouldn't even try to play the one midrange, because if you do and you fall in love, your heart will be broken forever and listening to anything else will make you feel like you have 2nd best. Just fair warning. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
That FU(Kin sux! :(

Which Scans are those? The cone and phase plug resemble the Seas Nextel's.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Wait! I had an idea. Have you tried contacting the company that made the speaker? Some companies have the ability to repair your speaker or even replace it. It's worth a shot. Try contacting their support.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Damn,

That sucks so bad. I feel your pain man. You shouldn't even try to play the one midrange, because if you do and you fall in love, your heart will be broken forever and listening to anything else will make you feel like you have 2nd best. Just fair warning. :(
That is why I never listen to anything Infinity. I am afraid of gaining the "knowledge" that Spence now holds over us all...

Beautiful speakers, what model?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That FU(Kin sux! :(

Which Scans are those? The cone and phase plug resemble the Seas Nextel's.
That is why I never listen to anything Infinity. I am afraid of gaining the "knowledge" that Spence now holds over us all...

Beautiful speakers, what model?
That's the thing...they don't have a an actual model number, they are custom made by Scan. You are not going to find these and Madisound or Solen which make replacement impossible. They are based on the 8542 model, SD1 motor like the Revelator. Best thing about them they need less than half the volume of a Revelator setup and are much better for midrange use with the smaller surface area and phase plug design.

Unfortunately I have been listening to the mint condition one for the last few days...it sounds gorgeous even full range. There is a lot of upper frequency energy which make them ideal just slightly off axis and crossed high to relieve stress on the tweeter. No breakup is noticeable.

The packing was ok, I mean he used the plastic tabs to prevent squishing of the cone like OEMs do. The thing is the box was a bit small and had very little packing. The speaker basket then worked to maintain the box shape and apparently it couldn't. With a larger box the geometry of it would have held all the weight and speaker would be free to float in packing.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
That sucks, hope it gets worked out.

I like some of the infinity stuff for their price range, my subs rock, but I am not related to anyone in the Vegas area.;)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
damn man, sorry to hear this...i remember wanting to get them too ;)

Same thing happened to a pair of Revelators i bought but luckily the seller took care of it, I hope the same for you

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike, I don't think that's going to work, they need to have the same basket, coil, and cone in stock otherwise I have to get all three changed on both.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
George,

There's a place in Orange County that repairs speakers:

Official Speaker Repair Site - Very Cost Effective!
I spoke to them many months ago about repairing my 6x9's. :blush: (and no teasing!) They require that the OEM is able to deliver spare parts needed for the repair. If Scan Speak is no longer making the parts, you'll be SOL. There are speaker repair places that will use "approximate" parts but they won't sound the same (due to voice coils not being correct length, etc.).

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Did you see multiple pics of both drivers with serials to uniquely identify each driver before the purchase? Can never be too careful. Dude could be trying to pull on over on you. Sux balls, sorry my man.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The packing was ok, I mean he used the plastic tabs to prevent squishing of the cone like OEMs do. The thing is the box was a bit small and had very little packing. The speaker basket then worked to maintain the box shape and apparently it couldn't. With a larger box the geometry of it would have held all the weight and speaker would be free to float in packing.

HE should have used a larger box and what I would do for something custom and unique was sandwich each speaker between 2 pieces of wood for the ultimate in protection.

It would have costed a few extra dollars but any buyer thats serious about getting a unique product undamaged would have no problem.

****....it wasn't even packed to CA.com guidelines.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts