DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If there is a separate shield wire it needs to be grounded at the source(head unit, processor) and not at the amp. That is the only reason an RCA cable would need to be installed a certain direction.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there is a separate shield wire it needs to be grounded at the source(head unit, processor) and not at the amp. That is the only reason an RCA cable would need to be installed a certain direction.
Please explain further...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Because of the arrows? That's a myth....
It will be a concern if that RCA has a ferrite core or a capacitor installed....
no it wouldn't feritte cores and caps are unidirectional. wouldn't matter. (not that I have ever seen that on RCA cables.)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Well, my installer do construct such RCAs(with a capacitor), it do have some difference....
BTW, I know you are trying your very best to deny my statement sometimes, but then please stop being a lazy fellow and start digging the web, certain Pioneer models do using ferrite cores.....

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
if the cap ties the shield then you want it at the receiving end. Solid ground is always at the source.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Well, my installer do construct such RCAs(with a capacitor), it do have some difference....
BTW, I know you are trying your very best to deny my statement sometimes, but then please stop being a lazy fellow and start digging the web, certain Pioneer models do using ferrite cores.....
I just said I had never seen any, doesnt mean they dont exsist, lol. at any rate, ferrite cores are used to short out RFI and EMI, doesnt really matter if it is at one end or both. although it should be at the amplifier end, since you want the noise nulled out before it goes in.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Is there an emoticon for snake oil? The grounding bit I agree with.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A drain wire for the shielding should always be grounded to the source end of the cable only. That is the reason for the directional arrows.

The sound quality would be the same in either configuration, with the difference being greater radiated noise rejection in the proper configuration.

Eric

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Eric,

So with the proper configuration you would get better 'radiated noise rejection', BUT you would not hear that difference? Is that what you're saying?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Eric,

So with the proper configuration you would get better 'radiated noise rejection', BUT you would not hear that difference? Is that what you're saying?
With your typical twisted pair high end RCA yes that is what I am saying.

For speaker wire it's a little different at least with solid core or larger conductor where you can hear difference based upon grain direction that the wire was drawn in the mfg. process.

Eric

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dude, it's alternating current.
Dude, I know.

I heard this on a Edgarhorn Titan setup after on of Dr Edgars customer said they had improved the sound by correcting the direction of the wire. Thats why Dr Edgar had me listen too, he couldnt believe it was making a difference (BTW Dr Edgar's Phd is in physics). It was simple 18 ga solid hook up wire from Radio Shack of all things. Maybe thats the reason, Radio Shack :)

:confused: Maybe the electrons work better with the structure of the drawn copper wire in a certain orientation.

I thought the response to this might get entertaining. :)

Eric

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Dude, I know.

I heard this on a Edgarhorn Titan setup after on of Dr Edgars customer said they had improved the sound by correcting the direction of the wire. Thats why Dr Edgar had me listen too, he couldnt believe it was making a difference (BTW Dr Edgar's Phd is in physics). It was simple 18 ga solid hook up wire from Radio Shack of all things. Maybe thats the reason, Radio Shack :)

:confused: Maybe the electrons work better with the structure of the drawn copper wire in a certain orientation.

I thought the response to this might get entertaining. :)

Eric
without disputing what you heard or saw. I understand Chads objection. in AC the signal goes in both directions. (hence the "A" in AC) so how does turning the wire around effect anything? in one direction, the positive signal would go with the grain. in the other direction it would go against the grain. the exact opposite effect for the negative portion of the signal. logically this doesnt make any sense.

I respect your opinions, since you have been doing this professionally for a long time, but this just stinks of snake oil, lol.

·
Registered
783 Posts
without disputing what you heard or saw. I understand Chads objection. in AC the signal goes in both directions. (hence the "A" in AC) so how does turning the wire around effect anything? in one direction, the positive signal would go with the grain. in the other direction it would go against the grain. the exact opposite effect for the negative portion of the signal. logically this doesnt make any sense.

I respect your opinions, since you have been doing this professionally for a long time, but this just stinks of snake oil, lol.
To the OP:
Man, what did I tell you when you asked me again???? It has to do with what??? The direction of the grain....lol!! Check your texts bro.....!! And I have to agree that in most non-esoteric systems you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Hell, who says they didn't screw up at the factory in China and put the jacket on backasswards?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Its been 10 years or so I cant give exact details on what I heard but there was a difference and both I and Dr Edgar couldn't explain what we were hearing.

Eric

·
Registered
649 Posts
so...
when the earth's magnetic pole reverses will we have to run the electrons opposite the arrows on the jacket? And will the manufacturers start making the arrows backwards so there will be a difference between wire produced after a certain date...I can see it now.

"Man back in the day we had wire that went the correct direction. I picked up some Old School wire on ebay for just $100 a foot.. they really knew how to make wire back then!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts