DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to a car and want some great SQ. I've been using RE SR 10's in my F150 in .5 sealed each but they get a little sloppy with metal double kick at higher levels (could be my cheap Sony class D amp). I want some great "punch you in the chest" fast kick drum and also smooth articulated bass lines on, say Eagle's Hell Freezes Over type stuff. I'm not looking to be heard from amile away or win any contests. I just want to rock out on my 45 min drive to/ from work. I was eyeing the RE SE subs as well. I'll be using a JL 1000/1 amp and will build my own box to spec. Other suggestions are very welcomed! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't mention the IDMAX which is what I'm leaning toward. Just concerned about it's "punch you in the chest" factor.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Alot of the guys on here use the idmax. I havent heard the id but a friend of mine has the sxx 12 one step up in re's line up paired with an alpine mrp 1/1000 and it kicks ass.
Has no prob playing the bass guitar at the same time as a heavy drum line.
Does not get sloppy at all and with the amp you have already thats what i would be going with.
EDIT: He has it in a slot ported box close to 2.5 ft at 30 hrz its a little bigger than what re's rec enclosure i think but it sounds great

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm moving to a car and want some great SQ. I've been using RE SR 10's in my F150 in .5 sealed each but they get a little sloppy with metal double kick at higher levels (could be my cheap Sony class D amp). I want some great "punch you in the chest" fast kick drum and also smooth articulated bass lines on, say Eagle's Hell Freezes Over type stuff. I'm not looking to be heard from amile away or win any contests. I just want to rock out on my 45 min drive to/ from work. I was eyeing the RE SE subs as well. I'll be using a JL 1000/1 amp and will build my own box to spec. Other suggestions are very welcomed! Thanks in advance!
I've ran RE SE subs (back when the company was still under good ownership and a small business for around 3 years. I also ran the IDMax back in 2004 timeframe, if you are just comparing these two subs, I would take the IDMax hands down it will give you more controlled bass and SQ then anything RE can. My RE SE subs were great street pounders and I just recently sold them about 8 months ago for 75.00 per sub. The guy that brought them stated he liked the old RE products, better then the new stuff. I personally don't support RE since they sold the company. The quality is no where near the same, just like US Amps the quality has went Downhill all the way........

·
Registered
62 Posts
I forgot to add that Image Dynamics was a better company back then too, they ruled when it came to HLCD. I still own my pair of ID CD1 Pro Minihorns, Image Dynamics still makes good products; but there is better for the money (not necessarily talking about the IDMax)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I forgot to add that Image Dynamics was a better company back then too, they ruled when it came to HLCD. I still own my pair of ID CD1 Pro Minihorns, Image Dynamics still makes good products; but there is better for the money (not necessarily talking about the IDMax)
Back the truck up a little there....just because the owner left the company doesnt mean their products automatically went bad! They still have the same line of products they did when ES ran the show. Yes the company has a new owner, but the products are still the same as of now..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Back the truck up a little there....just because the owner left the company doesnt mean their products automatically went bad! They still have the same line of products they did when ES ran the show. Yes the company has a new owner, but the products are still the same as of now..
I don't know what you are talking about, I never stated ID was a bad company. They still make quality products, but you can get better for the same amount of money and that can be said about any company. Majority of the products ID has are the same ones they had back then, so there isn't much that has changed. Everyone has their opinions on every company out there.

Now Resonant Engineering (RE) is NOT the same company and I wouldn't give them my money. They also don't have the same line of products they had back then either.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Subs do such a small part of the overall frequency response-- what are you using for midbass? I have an IDMAX and was never thrilled with how well it blended with my midbass. It did a great job for what I wanted it to do at the time, but the more I focused on SQ the more I had to go in another direction.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I don't know what you are talking about, I never stated ID was a bad company. They still make quality products, but you can get better for the same amount of money and that can be said about any company. Majority of the products ID has are the same ones they had back then, so there isn't much that has changed. Everyone has their opinions on every company out there.

Now Resonant Engineering (RE) is NOT the same company and I wouldn't give them my money. They also don't have the same line of products they had back then either.
RE's new subs (SRX, SE/X, etc) are supposedly effectively the same products as old. My understanding there are some minor changes to the basket and maybe some soft parts. T/S parameters had stayed the same or similar. Unless someone can upload a measurement data of the old vs new RE Se vs Se/X subs, I just can't give any credibility to such claims. It's just a hot air so far, "sold out, etc".

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have used SRX12 in 1cu ft for several months, and I didn't notice any sloppiness with drums, but perhaps I haven't listened for the right things back then? The drums could get surprisingly punchy with that subwoofer, specially at higher crossover point and with a little EQ boost at 65Hz (the only I have). The lows seemed pretty good. All in all, it seemed like this sub is best used for sub bass duty only. This means using crossover frequency at around 60Hz with a sharp slope. 80Hz or higher could result in less transparent sound and very punch drum sound. Overall I thought it's a good value given the price and low power demand (250watt RMS was enough for me). Right now I use Infinity Kappa 120.9w in the same box with same crossover frequency, and it seems a little nicer sub subjectively speaking, with more musical and tighter bass that blends with fronts a little better. However I haven't done an A/B head to head comparison. I am actually thinking of making a list of problem songs under the Kappa and doing an A/B comparison with SRX once I have another box.

The only suggestion I have is to check your box size meets the T/S specs and also try the crossover points as I suggested. In the end, if you don't like the sound of this SRX, I suspect the SE/X will be more of the same. I'd go for a different brand subwoofer. Look at Alpine Type-R, Infinity Kappa, Imagine Dynamics IDQ, Peerless XLS and Dayton Reference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts