DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After rebuilding my 1979 450 SL I am reaching the 'audio' stage. I need some advice here: I understand and have experienced that the mid.s are really lacking when driving with the top down. On top of that the 450Sl lacks room for decent speakers. (The stock ones are 4" ones pointing to the bottom of the front seats... Go figure)

I was thinking of putting in the pioneer deh8500 as the head unit, the Jl Xd700/5 amp, in the back: two pioneer Ts Sw841 shallow mount 8" woofers ( that is about all the space I've got in the back)

What can you guys recommend for a 4" speaker in the dash? I was thinking about the infinity kappa's as the have tweeters that can be pointed upwards. Anybody any experience / comments on them?

I also have some space in the doors for a coaxial speaker, between 5 & 6". I was going for the Kappas again but for no other reason that I can point the tweeters up.

Any advice, tips or tricks for a Vintage convertible install are welcome!!!

Thanks,

Pieter

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If your mids are lacking I'd say instead of getting Infinity coaxials which in my opinion aren't as efficient on mids, they tend to sacrifice some mids for better bass response. The relative lack of midrange makes them also sound too bright, harsh even for some people.

Convertibles are always challenging and vocals tend to get drowned out quite easily. You've got the bass covered with subs and shallow subs in my experience tend to be able to be crossed over quite high as they often have frequency response well into the 200 hz range.

So focusing on specialized mids and tweets will really get you where you want to be. So I'd say get a PA style midbass on those door panels and supplement them with 4" coaxes and cross the two over at around 2-3khz. PA style mids will really let the vocals shine and the efficiency means you won't need huge amplifiers, 50 watts per channel will easily blow you away and make your ears ring. That gives you 200 watts total spread between the PA mids and 4" dash speakers.

Believe me you'll definitely notice the difference between normal car speakers and good PA style speakers. I've just always noticed much better vocal and midrange accuracy with PA speakers than even high end dedicated car speakers. Likely it's the much lighter weight voice coil and cones since PA speakers don't need to reproduce bass like car speakers are often forced to do.

Dayton Audio PK165-8 6" Professional Kevlar/Paper Cone Midra 295-020

For your doors. And pick whichever dash speakers you like. The PA will really reinforce the vocals and mids a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi QwertyDude,

Thanks for the feedback, that just makes SO MUCH sense! (A PA speaker for open spaces...)

Would the Kappa's still make sense (or maybe make even more sense) because they are so bright? Or could you recommend another brand/make?

I was looking, actually more peeking, at the JBL MS-8. I just don't think it would make sense to install it in a convertible. The main reason for me to install it would be that it can automatically configure the system. As no way I can do that (or want to learn to do that).... Any insights, comments on that?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts