DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few friends ask me, what would be a really loud system for the car. SQ is not the highest priority, but I'd like it to be nice.

first around here loud systems are everywhere, and not a problem with the locals.

most really loud systems I've heard include 2 or more EV (electro-voice) speakers and 6x9s for upper treble or bullet tweeters. and these systems get pretty loud. but dont sound so great. Now I was hoping to match those system but sound better for about $200 in speakers, subs not included. I was looking at eminence $60 10s and 12s. I havent found a tweeter to match, or a crossover to use. these would go in the rear deck, with possibly some 10" subs IB next to them. please help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not about winning, its just getting loud, hearing something, and getting attention and/or sharing it with others.

also hearing how ribbon tweeters dont have much vertical dispertion, I was thinking of using a horn tweeter with a horn made for horizontal dispertion. also using some sound absorbing material in the rear doors, rear deck, and on the roof. maybe even on the seat some of the time. that way the sound gets out with less cancelation and sounding better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my friend has a similar setup, bass is what it needs too. but he has no space.

it doesnt seem to work for all cars, some dont get loud with 6x9s. his car has a flat rear window, and no more space behind or in front of the 6x9s, I think that helps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm from RI. and the law does matter, just that people still squeeze systems through the cops, usually turn it down when cops are around. but many times the cops dont bother much. unless your doing it often. also by locals, I mean people, not cops.

I do have some comps and coaxials, I use those to experiment, but I dont have an amp right now. so its just research for now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
DearS said:
its not about winning, its just getting loud, hearing something, and getting attention and/or sharing it with others.
Getting attention is fad that will soon wear off when the wrong people take notice...

The expression "choose your battles" also comes to mind... so be mindful who you share your toys with.

As for loud... there is a threshold of when too loud just plain takes over good sound... at least for these old ears. I have come to appreciate music @ more moderate levels as I age.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
fads can be pretty deep. although I have used my system for attention, I think its self abusive to use materials and others to feel good about who I am. but in this mean (currently) planet, feeling bad about yourself is something many help you with. I think thats what fads are about. self-esteem. one fad will replace another, till people learn to have self-esteem.

although the fads are mixed with fun. sometimes people bopp their heads, sing, and/or dance when a loud car passes by. we give life to the city. while most older adults conform to bearly living. we connect and enjoy each others energy. although because of the mean nature, I hardly mingle anymore.

also the car will either be an Accord, BMW 325, or 240SX. although if you mean my friends 6x9s car, its an 89 buick. also, their are a few of those buicks around. they tend to be loud, some with 6x9s, others with EVs. Civics hatchbacks are loud too. SQ is not their strong point though. most people loved my system, thought it sounded really nice. but they dont like speding much. their more into the Nikes and Rocawear Fad.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My main point was that "by 9s" are a complete waste of time. If you are short on mounting space and want some decent midrange and highs, then get a component set. You can easily fit any 6.5" comp set in the same location as the 6x9s. Same goes for bass output. Any 8" sub can fit in the same location as a 6x9 and will give you better response as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
although 6x9s tend to be more efficient and much cheaper.

but I think, my MB quart comps get as loud, if not louder than most 6x9s. and they are more effient then my coxials. so their are some comps that are efficient.

this is still just consideration but sound absorber seems to be the easiest and cheapest part to test. also I can use it after for my home speakers. or maybe if someone has it, you can test it out and see if you have less cancellation and louder sound outside the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.