Votes: 436 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 614 58.5%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
the only reason i would consider rear fill would be if i had rear seat passengers often.(more than once a week)
and if i did have them, i would most likely use a 6 channel amp. i would use 4 channels for the front stage and 2 for the rear. then i would buy coaxial speakers for the rear passengers.( i would also make sure i could turn off or fade the rear speakers out)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
It’s like this you can process your way to heaven. But if a person stands in front of you and talks to you face to face do you want the echo coming from the rear? When a person plays music in front of you it sounds nice. If they play behind you, you turn around and listen. If you went to a live unplugged show do you have a band in front and a second band in the back playing 20 ms behind? No you don’t. I am not saying you cannot achieve a good sound stage with rear fill. But I honestly believe that if you spend the time and money in the front you can achieve the best sound stage in a vehicle. The only time I use rear fill is to fill the rear in a large vehicle mainly for the rear passenger.

Just my opinion and my $.02
I like it when I can almost feel the artist's spit on my face:D With staging tweeters and weird background fill I would feel like I'm shopping in the mall to be honest.

I agree it would make for some interesting setups but I could only handle it for a few songs then I would go back to a solid stereo stage. Each with their preferences I guess.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
only for rear seat people or if im watching a movie otherwise they are turned off..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can I vote yes and no? I currently have one 5 1/4" coaxial in the rear passenger door, and no speaker in the rear driver side door... Hows that for a good stage. :D

-soon to be running w/ no rear fill-

·
Registered
370 Posts
See sig ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm gonna nominate myself as having the best rear fill on DIYMA:

Morel Integra 6.5" Coaxials run off a Phoenix Gold MS275

Who can top that?

:)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I use a set of Boston 5.4 components controlled with my fader,I like them there however they are NOT prominent.Since I can do a simple on/off comparison with the rear speakers,I have found I like them there, always have, always will, why am I wrong for liking them? Damn me and my "opinions".

W

·
0 Posts
I use a set of Boston 5.4 components controlled with my fader,I like them there however they are NOT prominent.Since I can do a simple on/off comparison with the rear speakers,I have found I like them there, always have, always will, why am I wrong for liking them? Damn me and my "opinions".
If you get a chance, delay them beyond the Haas Effect (Precedence Effect, about 15~20 msec), maybe even play with L-R difference ... a whole new world will open up to you, beyond simple (attenuated) rear fill :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have it connected, for normal listening I use it. If I want to listen to something very critically or impress someone I turn it off.

My rear fill consits of DLS Iridium 6.5 midbasses running full range. They add a nice little kick to the back of my seat. And they don't sound too bad running full range. Obviously they are lacking treble but not too bad. I originally put them in so i could try doing the Prologic surround, but the H701 adds so much noise and brings the noise floor way up that I gave up on the surround idea.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you get a chance, delay them beyond the Haas Effect (Precedence Effect, about 15~20 msec), maybe even play with L-R difference ... a whole new world will open up to you, beyond simple (attenuated) rear fill :)
I would like to but my current good old fashioned equipment does not provide that feature:(

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is rear fill the dogs bollocks or completely unnescessary?

Thinking of selling my 4ch amp for a 2channel because i'm upgrading my front stage (bye bye rears?).
rear fill.... hmmm. i dont sit in the back and when i go to a concert the stage is in front of me unless i am getting a beer. 4 channel amp? bi amp your components if you have 3 ways. i dont even have rear speakers in my car or truck

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, but you DO get ambient reflections off of the back wall. That stuff ads to the feeling of the size and space of the room.
so i guess a lil'rear fill at low volume is good. but a car has so much glass there is good refection there too. so people love it. yesterday i put a pioneer radio in a bayliner boat and only rear speakers, 4" at that. he wanted it just like that. i guess a $5000 sound system to some one else would look like masterbation

W

·
0 Posts
just so i don't have to type it all over again ...
Big difference between a concert hall and car: size of the acoustic space!

And it's NOT just a relative difference ... there's a real, tangible threshold involved, as defined by the Haas Effect. In a car, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will not exceed the precedence effect (about 20msec, if memory serves) ... meaning that natural reflections will only tend to smear and confuse the front stage. In a concert hall, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will exceed the precedence threshold.

So if you delay the rear fill by ~20msec or slightly more, you can create an apparent acoustic space that is much larger ... without confusing or ruining the front stage. This is a good thing :) Yes, we face the orchestra in a concert hall ... a classic argument against dumb rear fill ... but we also sense that the concert hall is bigger than about 25 cubic feet ... a very good argument in favor of smart rear fill :)

How to best accomplish it, is perhaps a discussion for another thread. You need a processor with time alignment, and the ability to bandlimit the rears. The difference signal can be formed either actively before the amp (trivial with balanced signals, not even hard with transformers and single-ended signals), or speaker-level after the amp (the classic Hafler matrix was the old, dumb example ... with no time delay, and even only crude attenuation and bandlimiting). But here's an interesting link for further reading:

http://www.mlssa.com/surround/surround3.htm

Of course, you may want to consider the options mentioned above ... Dolby Pro Logic II (invented by Fosgate with an automotive acoustic space in mind), DTS Neo:6, and the new Harman Logic7 processor for the car (which, by the way, is starting to get some very encouraging reviews). All of these options create a multi-channel signal from a 2-channel source, and make very intelligent use of speakers behind your head :)

I guess my main point is this : all "rear-fill" is not created equal :) It's important to distinguish what type, before we summarily embrace or dismiss the entire category.

·
Registered
779 Posts
very simple. takes about two minutes if you have a couple sets of y adapters for your balanced lines.

And yes, very worth it.

I'll be leaving for vacation on friday, and am out of town all this current weekend as well. I need to wrap up the 8" driver comparsion, along with a few other things before I leave.

But, as soon as I have a chance, I'll post my review along with some others that have had a chance to listen. Along with more detail on the final configuration and how I accomplished this all.

I'm still tuning, but I like it more as I get it tuned closer and closer.

By the end, it won't be nearly as complicated as it may seem to recreate.

41 - 60 of 652 Posts