DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am on the fence if I should use rear fill for my coupe. I am the only person that uses the car.

Right now I have 2way esotar 2s in the front (3way eventually maybe).

Would I be best to use a mid/bass driver or go coaxial or forget it all together?

I was planning on doing 4.0 or 5.1ch, but that idea got shot down.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've tried no rear speakers, band-limited, attenuated and delayed rear speakers and true differential rear fill (which is also band-limited, attenuated and delayed). I do not like "front speakers only" - to me, it just sounds "thin" compared to having rear speakers. I personally prefer band-limited, attenuated and delayed "rear speakers" the best. Differential rear-fill didn't really do it for me. I may go back and experiment with differential rear-fill a little more though.

Here is some great info on the different ways of using rear speakers:

GlassWolf's Pages

You can really use a midbass speaker, midrange speaker or a coaxial speaker. You'll be limiting the frequencies being played through the speaker regardless of what kind of speaker you use. I personally landed on 75hz - 4khz. I like the extra midbass added by the rear speakers, which is why I go down to 75hz, but a lot of people don't go down that low.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use rear coaxials ONLY when I have rear passengers, which is rare. I have my normal time aligned fronts and subs only preset for just me and I have a preset for all speakers playing with no TA for when I have others in the truck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I use rear coaxials ONLY when I have rear passengers, which is rare. I have my normal time aligned fronts and subs only preset for just me and I have a preset for all speakers playing with no TA for when I have others in the truck.
Thats probably the best way to do it. 1 drivers seat tune front only, and 1 drivers seat tune with rear fill included.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had success using coaxials with about 4-6 db of attenuation and high passed around 120hz. The tweeter composition should be the same as the front comps though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never knew NOT having speakers in the back was even a "thing" until I started reading what the knuckleheads on this forum were writing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A couple of days ago I put my old woofers in the back doors and I'm feeding them 80hz - 2500hz at a lower volume and I like the added effect. You almost can't tell but it does add a fullness to the sound.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
No right or wrong, only suggested and that's if you're competing. Truth is, no one will enjoy your setup more than you. Heck, no one will probably even hear it.

I use rear speakers in my sedan which first started off as for rear passengers only. Now I have them attenuated and time aligned to old school ways. It's enjoyable vs without. The truck has no rears and I enjoy it as well. I'm not competing, nor do I care of what others suggest in that regard. I like it.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've had success using coaxials with about 4-6 db of attenuation and high passed around 120hz. The tweeter composition should be the same as the front comps though.
The front tweeters are enough. I would rather have the rears playing 100-1000 for some midbass-midrange reinforcement.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thats probably the best way to do it. 1 drivers seat tune front only, and 1 drivers seat tune with rear fill included.
The preset for passengers isn't time aligned anywhere so not driver seat tune at all. Just all speakers playing, front 3way comps and rear door coaxials playing full range. They have all been EQ'd seperately, tho.

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
Why hasn't @gijoe shown up yet to tell you that rear speakers are a horrible idea?

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Not lookin like you're gonna win this one, buddy! We still love you anyway :)
Haha, it's not about winning. I just want people to understand why they might not want rear speakers.

People have grown up with rear speakers in a car their whole life. Cars have really changed the way we are used to hearing music, and it's tough for people to get used to listening to music in a car without rear speakers. If people want to run rear speakers, that's completely fine, but most people don't know why it's not very good with regard to stereo reproduction.

I've been very vocal about my opinion regarding rear speakers, but I've decided to keep my opinions to myself unless someone asks for an explanation.

It's a discussion I really enjoy, but many people aren't interested in being told their ideas are "bad" so I've decided to mind my manners and not butt in unless I'm asked to explain my philosophy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Haha, it's not about winning. I just want people to understand why they might not want rear speakers.

People have grown up with rear speakers in a car their whole life. Cars have really changed the way we are used to hearing music, and it's tough for people to get used to listening to music in a car without rear speakers. If people want to run rear speakers, that's completely fine, but most people don't know why it's not very good with regard to stereo reproduction.

I've been very vocal about my opinion regarding rear speakers, but I've decided to keep my opinions to myself unless someone asks for an explanation.

It's a discussion I really enjoy, but many people aren't interested in being told their ideas are "bad" so I've decided to mind my manners and not butt in unless I'm asked to explain my philosophy.
I love your deliverence. Your word usage is very nice. Concise, straight to the point and imparted in such a way that idiots like myself can comprehend.👍😁

1 - 20 of 47 Posts