DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Usually we try to setup cars for optimum sound in the two front seats. For car stereo shows also.

The rear surround signal is mono, and usually called L-R (read "Left minus Right").

Hooking up one speaker R-L and the other L-R simply puts the rears out of phase with each other. This is recommended, it makes the rears harder to localize. I think Prologic does this already for you in their processor.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Usually we try to setup cars for optimum sound in the two front seats. For car stereo shows also.

The rear surround signal is mono, and usually called L-R (read "Left minus Right").

Hooking up one speaker R-L and the other L-R simply puts the rears out of phase with each other. This is recommended, it makes the rears harder to localize. I think Prologic does this already for you in their processor.
So your saying one speaker L-R and the other R-L is recommended? Sorry for my slowness today. I haven't slept since I got off work at 6:00 this morning.:(

·
Registered
182 Posts
i like rear fill personally. i don't care what anyone says, i like the sound to surround me, not just in front of me. i don't care whats considered "proper" for SQ as if it was some robotic scientific formula cause i'm not a robot and my ears don't adhere to a math problem.

·
Registered
797 Posts

I just stumbled upon something you posted a while back in this thread http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/302008-post79.html and it answered my question.

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Human (not a robot)
2,365 Posts
Verry good info there, thanks! How is your rear fill setup?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
I took it out. I was never able to get it to where I wanted it to be. My goal was to use rear fill to add width to the sound stage.
I got it to sound more "wraparound" but never able to add width outside the mirrors, which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I took it out. I was never able to get it to where I wanted it to be. My goal was to use rear fill to add width to the sound stage.
I got it to sound more "wraparound" but never able to add width outside the mirrors, which is what I wanted.
Where were your rear speakers located, back door or rear deck?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
This thread seems to be going back and forth between surround sound and rear fill.

These are two completely different animals.

Rear Fill, is utilized to create space, yes, but is used more along the lines to widen space for the front sound stage. If used properly it will widen the front stage recreation while not detracting for accurate and highly detailed imaging.

If you want accurate surround sound, then you need to start with material that was recorded with that intent....surround sound (pro-logic, dolby, etc...) utilizes complex algorithms to re-create space and effects to give the sense of live events. Yes, there are studio selections, but the rear effects when "studio" is selected from pro logic is the least invasive of the algorithms with the lowest rear channel output.

Since all of this is subjective to what the listener is looking for, I will include my opinion.
I prefer the True studio sound, which means that the recording engineer is in a sound booth that is acoustically treated and will absorb pretty much all of the side and rear reflections from his or her near field monitors. Most of the time, those monitors can be placed much further apart than we can in our cars, so the soundstage will be represented as much wider than we can achieve without TA and potentially well thought out rear fill. The delay in the rear should only be set to compensate for distance, and not for any additional effect(IMHO). Believe or not, simpler is usually better. I have the Same Sony SACD/DVD/CD deck mentioned earlier and it provides the ability to custom set the TA for the speakers and I measured (tape measure) then tweaked by ear...I am running the rears at approximately 12db down from the rear and I noticed my soundstage width jumped out from inside the a-pillars to what I perceive to just outside of the ears. The best thing is I feel that, with my eyes closed, I could chew some paper and put a spitwad right between the eyes of ole S. Winwood sitting smack dab in the middle of my hood.

Again...some facts, lots of opinion...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I do like the info here. Do have to remember that all installs will benefit from different methods. I do think before trying the mono or phase tricks you need ability to do time correction and be sure it's optimal. I thought my time alignments were good until I retweaked them and wow what a difference. I had always kept rear volume low Ana crossedover around 120hz. Once I got ta just right I dropped crossover and was amazed. My midbass actually moved forward. I always thought that wasn't supposed to happen. So I dropped em down more to 80hz. Wow! Dropped my sub crossover down to 63hz. Even better. I keep thinking nobody's gonna believe those settings sound so good but they do.
Now I can't imagine it would work in most vehicles.
What I am saying is get your basic settings as close to perfect as possible. If you think they are then document them and try something different. It's amazing how simple adjustments available on even most head units can really well when you find the perfect balance in your ride.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Anytime you take an extra set of speakers and play them in a car environment you throw in an extra set of parameters or variables you have to deal with that can create havoc on your front stage. When done correctly the rewards are pleasant. I couldn't help but think when Complacent_One mentioned stage width with rear fill. It does have a way of fooling the senses in making you think the space is bigger than it is. This is not easily achieved, at least not for me and honestly, I spent hours and hours trying different x/o points, speaker sizes, resistors, direction etc. to get the right feel. In no way do I want to notice I have music coming from the rear. That's missing the concept. It has an ambience, an air or presence about it that literally makes the front stage wider and fuller. When I turn my rears off it is night and day though but yet turning and facing the rear you can't hear or focus on them. But I only use 4''mids, play a very narrow range and reverse phased. Tweeters were just too hard to get right in the mix.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Still a big fan of the Bi-Amplified SoundStreams running off an amp in my rear deck. I have a ported box with Bridged 12s running 2ohms into a mono 1000 Watt amp. My fronts consist of 4x6 plates and Tweets in the sails. Using multiple amps but I'am not having any issues even without running a Capacitor.I really like the Olds Alero set up as a base for a decent low budget system.Now If I would have only pulled my donut tire out before I installed my box lofl.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts