DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hillbilly
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has just happened to have tried wiring any factory amps for rear fill.

I have the 2020 RAM with the rear headliner speakers that I am running off the factory amp. I realize I can't set the delay, but I can control the volume with the fader, not the same, but close enough being I have no other way to delay it.

What I would like to do is wire those headliner speakers as follows...

Factory Amp Left+ to Speaker Left+
Speaker Left - to Speaker Right-
Speaker Right+ to Factory Amp Right-

I know I could try it, but I would also hate to ruin the factory amp by attempting to run it in bridged mode.

It's a long shot, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Regards,
Sonnie

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wouldn't run the factory amp in bridged mode. - maybe someone else has input for this.
You can get really cheap D-class amplifiers, or also very small 2-channel used A/B class amps on ebay - someone recommended me a Sony that was on ebay for $35. The benefit of using a small amp, as long as it has RCA inputs, is that depending on your main amp, it might have preamp outputs so that you can just connect your main amp to your new 2-ch amp - then all your volume is in one spot.
I have a small Pioneer D-class D1004 I'd be willing to part with - its 8"x2"x3" - fits just about anywhere. It does 45w x 4 channels @ 4 ohms or 90 x 2 @ 4 ohms. Not trying to sell you on anything, but just keep in mind what your options would be for less than $50. Also, these small ones are nice because they can piggy-back off of your stereo fuse - so all you have to do is cut the wires and splice it in.

·
Hillbilly
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I go with a separate amp, it will need to have high level speaker inputs and be bridgeable as well. I would tap into those speakers wires. The factory amp has no preamp outputs, and I don't want to have to run a PAC from the headunit just for these speakers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I go with a separate amp, it will need to have high level speaker inputs and be bridgeable as well. I would tap into those speakers wires. The factory amp has no preamp outputs, and I don't want to have to run a PAC from the headunit just for these speakers.
The pioneer I mentioned, as well as, for instance, the Zapco ST-2x-sq - they both have a little adapter so that you can use either high or low level inputs (RCA or Speaker wire).

·
Hillbilly
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would also have to have a high-pass filter at a minimum of 300Hz.

I would spend up to about $250 if I could find one with time alignment.

Size is not really a factor, as I have the entire space where the factory sub was located.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Once you get up towards $250 you could buy a refurbished JL Twk88 DSP (I think I got mine for 280) and do time alignment, crossovers, EQ etc for your entire system - a major improvement in SQ.
The pioneer I have has a LPF and HPF switch but it is pre-set at 80hz. The Zapco I'm using has an adjustable HPF of 50-1000hz - it retails for $150 and has great SQ - its also only 6"x6" -
The time alignment, to the best of my knowledge, is going to be coming from a DSP or from your head unit.

Just to be clear:
Why do your speakers need to be bridged?

·
Hillbilly
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with running a DSP on the full system is I'm still using the factory amp for the most part. I don't want to mess with my ANC. I can change out the speakers, and I can power the headliners, add a sub and an amp for it, but I can't fiddle with the door speakers front and rear, as ANC uses them.

I've found a few amps that have time alignment, but they don't have the right high-pass frequency.

If you wire the rear fill per the recommended method, it will bridge the two channels in an amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts