DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering ditching my rear coaxials and installing some Peerless SLS 6.5"s to fill out the roughly 70 - 160 hz region. They'd be going in the rear factory location in my 93 Camaro.

I have Alpine Type-R components in the front (midranges in the doors, tweets in the pillars).

If you've done anything like this, please chime in. Good idea/ bad idea?

Would I be better off sound deadening the front doors to get better midbass response from my components instead of adding the Peerless 6.5"s?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather have them in the front too, but then I'd need to invest in some kick panels or something for the midranges. And the "rear" speaker location in 4th gen Camaros are just barely behind where you sit. Maybe 1 foot away at a 45 degree angle from your ears. Playing lower than 160 -200 hz, I figured it wouldn't pull the stage back much.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
If you go with a 6.5-8" midbass up front, then you wouldnt use the midrange. just add a tweeter that can match up to it.

IMHO, that would be even worse. having the midbasses right behind your head would pull all your midbass to the rear. it might work though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought the Type-R component set a couple months ago, not really looking to replace them yet.

I'm really just looking to get more "punch" from my system. I listen to a lot of metal with ridiculous double bass (ex: The Black Dahlia Murder). I have a Fi Q12 that sounds amazing on anything below about 70 hz (due to the way my enclosure is designed), but a lot of those double bass frequencies seem to be over 100 hz.

So, to improve the midbass in the 70+ hz region, you think I'd be better off deadening the doors than investing in new drivers?

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
I mean if you were going to put them in the rear, I would go larger than a 6.

If it were me, I would pull those rear quarter panels off next to the back seat and see what kind of room you have back there for something big, like a 10 or 12. You can get 8s in the front of those cars with a little work. And being a death metal fan myself, you will love having a big midbass...trust me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright cool

I could probably modify the rear stock location to fit some 8"s. I'd rather do that than the front since I don't really have another place in the front for the midranges. Would 8"s in the rear quarter panels be better than the factory location?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 9in Phoenix Gold/Morel midbass in sealed boxes in the rear quarters of my Mk.4 Golf.They run from 60 Hz up to 700 Hz where the horns take over,and the image/sound stage only pulls very slightly back from when I had 8s in the front doors.
The improvement in power handling alone makes the slight backwards movement of the origin of the sound worth the time and effort.

001 by ImagewerxR32

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
There used to be a competitor back in the day that had some 8" coaxes in the kicks of his 4th gen.

If I were going to do the work and had a 2 door car, I would really really try to go as big as possible. And an 8 to me is just the start of where I personally would want for a midbass. And being in the side panels playing up to 200-250 or so, I doubt you would notice any pulling to the rear.

It's been so long since I've pulled one of those cars a part, that I forgot what you could fit where in there. And yeah, it's going to take some work...but getting the doors right will take some work too, maybe not as much...but I promise you will love those big midbasses given your choice of music.

But that is just me and what I like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well like I said earlier, I really don't need any help below about 70 hz. Anything the midbasses play below that would just be drowned out by my sub.

The Peerless Sls, Eminence Delta, and Dayton PA255 are all n my price range. They'll be running off of 2 channels from an Alpine MRX-F65. That's 110 watts @ 4 ohms, 160 watts @ 2 ohms each.

Any other information you might need to help me choose one?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts