DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Confucius :confused: { do what needs to be done to make the car safe to drive.

If your front tires are being lifted up by excessive rear weight, do not drive when it first starts to rain as the factors needed to cause an accident [ rain , oil , lack of steering , dusk , etc.., ];):eek:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Most people probably carry larger/heavier loads when going on vacation, than we add in weight with audio gear..
If your car is dragging its rear-end on the pavement, then suspension upgrades are necessary..

Mark

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
with all the amps and subwoofer weighing down the trunk, do you upgrade the rear shock absorbers?
Leaf springs , coil overs ,etc.., air suspension ;)

tires with heavier sidewalls [ rated to handle the weight if and when you hit a chuckhole ].

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lets start with the type of car you drive.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
total weight of amps + sub + rack in the rear trunk is probably about 50kg.

save the severe humps and bumps, i do not feel much difference on the road but the one year old shocks are menstruating :(

not sure is it the substandard shocks or poor absorbers are overloaded. or as chad mentioned, stiffer springs is the ticket?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
A shock doesn't hold the weight of the car, the spring does... The shock only controls the motion..

Are you lowered excessivly? Are you lowered on stock shocks? If so, they aren't usually designed to be used with lowering springs, so the valving doesn't work correctly..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, in my Trans-Am, in regards to just the hatch area, I added the following:

- 10lb nitrous bottle
- Rear Battery
- Isolator relay
- Brain for the IVA-D900 headunit
- H701 Processor
- Alpine Nav unit
- 3/4" MDF sub box for 2 12" subs
- 2 TCSounds TC2+ drivers
- 1 gal air tank
- Air valve
- Air compressor
- Airbag control system
- Alpine XM tuner
- Alpine alarm pager unit
- Alpine Nav guide interface
- 4 ESX Quantum amplifiers (not small and not light, probably over 80lbs for these alone)
- 4 ESX Quantum Balanced Line Drivers w/18ft cables
- 30-40lbs of sound deadening mat/sludge/closed cell foam
- 10-15lb mounting board
and over 40lbs of wiring/fuse holders/distro blocks/amp mounts/brackets/panels

So, yeah, I have a ton of weight back there. I run the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks as well as helper spring airbags in back. The airbags allow me to have passengers in the rear seats, or to siffen up the suspension when I want more grip for launching the car (racing)... I have probably in excess of an additional 200-250lbs above and behind the rear axle...

The rest of the car is no lightweight either, with the supercharger/aftercooler systems, fuel system w/cooler, nitrous system, additional motor electronics, sound deadening throughout, heavy duty racing suspension, Dana 60 rear end, etc, etc... Car weighs probably over 4100lbs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts