DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I was cleaning out the garage while doing a bit of a sub comparo when I pulled these off a shelf. Like the title says here are two IDQ10v2 in a sealed prefab 3/4" MDF box w/ gray carpet. The box is angled w/ dimensions of 22L x 12.5H x 13.5 D tapering to 8 inches on top. Oddly the drivers are mounted on the surface adjacent to the right angle and not the sloped side. Anyway the box gives about .6 cuft gross volume per driver. It has been hooked up for 4 ohm load so that would make these d4. The system weighs in at 40lbs on the nose. I must of bought these back in '06 and played 'em for about 6 months before going to a single twelve. I fired 'em up today and they sound nice w/ good attack, articulation and were easy to blend.
Well these are gonna go to some DIYMAer for the quite reasonable price of FREE. Just to have some fun and benefit someone who will actually use them for a while, there are some stipulations:
1) Must be a DIYMA member of less than say 50, nah make that 5000 posts.;)
2) Must be willing to pick up at Thousand Oaks, SoCal 91360. I ain't shipping so don't even ask. If ya live farther you could perhaps arrange a local buddy to ship for you.
3) Okay for FUN, describe the system ie. the car, speakers and mounting locations, amps, sound deadening etc. that the sub will be mated to.
Today is Monday 4/6/09 so lets run this 'till Thursday 4/9/09 8pm PST at which time I will post the new owner.
Thanks for helping me clean out my garage.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Geebuz dude. I've really never met a group more willing to give stuff out...I know it's been said before, but the generosity on DIYMA is astounding. I think everyone that's giving stuff out should get their stuff sticky'd so we can keep track of all the "Recession Giveaways". Love the title, by the way.

Hmm.. I could use a sealed box. I've already got 2x 10's (sundown 10's) in my trunk, but they're rough thrown...I don't have them sealed or anything. They're attached to a Cascade Amp, Lanzar Tweets and Seas CD18RE-MDS as mids. I'm in Oceanside/Carlsbad area, so only an hr or so south. More than anything though, I need direction and guidance; my setup is ghettO!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have actually been hunting for those exact subs, and have had ZERO luck. Just made my car payment so my bank account is weeping (lol) because working for a non profit sucks. These would be mated to my Sundown 1000d (400 watts @ 4 ohms) the uber cheap clarion headunit, id oem's, seas aluminums. Well deadened doors and hatch area, with all speakers in stock locations

Gladly pick up in thousand oaks, will be at the meet saturday anyway, and if they end up in the back of my xb my current sub will be donated to my friends build for their "new" car

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
That's very generous, awesome thing to do!

I lived in Thousand Oaks off and on from 1985-2000, and again for 8 months in 2007. I've worked with/for most of the good shops in the area. I wonder if we know each other?

-Cory.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good start guys. I love the anecdotes. Maybe we could have a bit more detail like what kind of car, sound deadening, location of drivers, headunit, intended x-over, power to the sub, and maybe what type of music ya rock. Stuff like that.

As to why I'm giving it away? I generally hate the hassle of selling stuff...plus I figure if ya pay it forward things might come around.:) As to why I won't ship, I used to work delivering mail in college - talk about feeling like going postal waiting in lines.:p

·
Registered
11 Posts
that is awesome that your giving that away. There are more people that would benefit more from them. I don't need them, wish this was around when i did.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's very generous, awesome thing to do!

I lived in Thousand Oaks off and on from 1985-2000, and again for 8 months in 2007. I've worked with/for most of the good shops in the area. I wonder if we know each other?

-Cory.
Cory, I think we just missed each other as I move in at the end of 2000 from 'The Valley'...what an improvement for me - more laid back.

·
Registered
393 Posts
But if you paid for the shipping would it really be 'FREE'?
It would not be free anyway in uncle sam's mind anyway lol:p

I live in IL:(

Why does all the good stuff hapen in Socal ??

Saltflats........HIN........... :burnout:.......:(:(:(

I would move but i really hate heat with a vengence! :rifle: :cwm23: :z: :cussing:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey Monkeybutt, pleasure doing business with you.

Unfortunately I am not in southern California. But I am close, located in San Luis Obispo, CA. So maybe we can work something out. I have friends down there. Plus my roommates are from southern california, so they would be more than willing to take the trip on a weekend.

I have been searching for some tens to run in Infinite baffle for some time now. My system is a bit unorthodoxed and still in the installation stages. It consists of the following:

(5) Dayton RS100-4 Fullrange/Wide range 4 inch woofers; I went this route for several reasons. For one, it had a great performance to price ratio with its relatively large linear excursion for a 4 inch driver. Reason being is I will have them mounted in sealed enclosures on the dash/A-pillars to move the stage up. They will need to play low enough to crossover with the midbass effectively. These will be used for a matrix surround setup, in which the front three speakers will be playing down to around 150hz at which point the dedicated midbass drivers will take over. I went with a full range driver because the most pleasing sound I have found is a downsloping response in the higher octaves. This can be outlined in the following thread: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...t-correlating-rta-plots-what-being-heard.html

(4) Mpyre 6.5 inch midbass; These are going to be mounted in front of the front seats, essentially underneath them, to avoid the inconvenience of kick panel applications and the resonance issues with door mounted locations. I wanted them to be sealed in relatively small enclosures for higher power handling and good midbass "kick". Two drivers will be mounted isobarically per enclosure to reduce distortion even further and reduce the enclosure size. The location was chosen per Werewolves "Circle of Confusion" theory of midbass.

(1) Alpine DVA-9860; I choose this head unit for its simplicity (asthetically) and the ability to upgrade to an indash monitor should I want one later. My car has three DIN locations, two in close proximity, which will allow me to mount the HU and a screen later on. I also chose this HU for its ability to control outboard processors. Which leads me to my next item.

(1) Alpine MRA-F350; This is a true gem for the price. If any of you of interested, all the features are outlined on crutchfield's website. Amazing for the price! Alpine MRA-F350 5-channel Digital Theater car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 5 at Crutchfield.com

I chose this unit because its affortable price ($100) and the features. This unit has on board features in addition to its amplification (50wrms x 5). It also supports optical in, which was a turning point for me. The features available are very nice. 5 band parametric EQ for the L/R, 5 band parametric for the center, and 5 band for L-R, plus 1 band for subwoofer. It has highpass crossovers in 6/12/18/24db slopes for the 5 channels, lowpass for subwoofer, and subsonic with the same slope options. It does matrix surround type processing on board and DTS processing if I ever get into watching movies

(1) Cadence TXA-6004; I chose this piece for the gobs of power available. Two channels will be used for the midbass (mono) and the other two channels for the subwoofers. I plan to built a simple T/A module for the sub stage as well.

As you can see I have done a lot of homework and I feel that Hafler stereo is the best option for an automobile. I am running out of funds very quickly, especially in light of my recent traffic ticket. (I had to sell my old equipment to pay for that). What I had left over I used for the above equipment, looking for good deals every day. Now I am stuck with the substage, the last piece of my puzzle.

I hope this post was informative and helps you in the decision making process. I am a full time college student, third year mechanical engineering major. Its quite difficult to balance my hobby with such a hectic environment; in a physical sense, emotional, time, and monetary.

Hope that who ever receives them enjoys them!

Regards,

Serg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, If you want specifics......
=v)

I've got a 2004 Elantra, black, that was purchased used. It was a "divorce car". You can tell, because there are scratches and dents where there shouldn't be.... (dented rear driver side panel glassed over by the dealer, pock marks on the passenger outer door, misc rusting). Since it is my first install and I have no mentor other than pictures on DIYMA and delusions of granduer, everything was thrown in to the car. I did get a chance to deaden the doors (raamat), but since I'm not happy with any part of the install to date, I'm going to keep the doors 1/4 deadened until I can get my wiring done the way it's supposed to be and the baffles/spacers for my mids to stop warping. The buddy I had help me install the deadening didn't know what he was doing either, so he missed a lot of spots while I was doing my thing on the driver door. In the trunk is a false floor of mdf made with no particular skill in woodworking, just a jigsaw and a dream. (I can take pictures of this sad sorry state of affairs, but I'd probably be boo'd off DIYMA). Come payday on Friday, I hope to be able to get some MDF and start the trunk again from scratch.

Tweeters I have mounted to my sails, but again, that wiring needs to be redone, so there's no audio to either the mids or the tweets currently. Poor tweets haven't even heard a peep of power. The one shining grace is the fact that I did get someone to install my amp (I hate electrocution, 12v of car battery flowing through me scares the hair off my hands), so I do have power going to 2x 10" sundown amps* in the trunk that I've probably not used to its full potential, again, because of the fact I have no woodworking skills and need to have the amps* fire into or off of something...which is where the IDQ's come in. My musical tastes vary....if you look at my CD collection, I have Thievery Corporation and a couple electronica CDs, almost every Metallica CD ever, "The Chipmunks Movie Soundtrack" (The 80's one. Hey, don't knock it. Wooly Bully YouTube - Wooly Bully), BB King, Lightnin Hopkins, Linkin Park, Snoop, Emminem, and Phantom of the Opera.

The trunk of the car is where I'd keep these...depending on what the box looks like, I'd like to retain the overall usage of the trunk and if possible, still have space for a spare tire. The only issues with having 2x IDQ's in the trunk is the probability that I'll need another amp just to support the subs.

The specs:
HU: Nakamichi CD300
EQ: SOUNDSTREAM MPQ-6X0 CROSSOVER 4 BAND EQUALIZER 6XO
Tweet: Lanzar TWS tweets
Midrange: Seas CD18RE-MDS H1426-04 6.5" 4 ohm woofer
Amp: Cadence txa-3004 4 ch.
Subs: Sundown SD-1 10" x2
Sound Dampener: Raamatt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Erg..auto dupe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decon IV, now that is what I'm talking about! 'God is in the details.'

And heck yeah pics would be cool folks and you can make more than one post if ya got more to share.

·
Registered
65 Posts
too bad i don't live closer, these would be a nice addition to my truck, once i get some better amps, then again i like having 12"s instead of 10"s for some reason i think just so i can say ive got 2 full size 12"s in a regular cab sonoma

·
Registered
454 Posts
hmmmm more details.... ok these will be in a 2008 Scion xB my first new new car, which i bought to replace my 2000 4runner during the incredibly high gas prices. Actually was upside down on the loan on the 4runner but traded anyway because the neighborhood of $150 weekly in gas to go to work was too rich for my blood. The only reason I am able to own the gear i do is through exceptional deals and recycling equipment to get what i want.

ID OEM's in the doors, stock location in (of course) home made baffles. They are crossed at 80 on the bottom and 2.5 on the top. My peeling edead will have to be replaced soon and hopefully i can do something about my rattling door handles at the same time lol.

Seas Aluminum Tweets, in the stock location (sails) slightly modified to get them to fit crossed at 3.1k

Sundown Audio SAZ-1000d & SAX-100.4d both recently acquired through the trade in program and the generosity of my "better half" lol. These are both located underneath a false floor that i made and fit nicely with the spare tire still in place. All of my wiring has been recycled from car to car, just dumb luck that i keep buying shorter cars.

The subs will be run @ 4 ohms off the 1000.d which will put out 400 watts and then have gobs of headroom. The crossover point will likely stay the same which is currently 63 hz

As far as listening material it varies wildly from day to day. My main source is an Ipod (gasp!!) with around 11,000 songs in various bitrates. Rock based music is the main play from punk to metal to classic rock to indie and alternative. Sometimes love putting the entire ipod on shuffle just to test the versatility of what i have built and tuned so far and hearing my build go from rock to motown to electronic to jazz to country to reggae and anything else you can imagine.

Lastly, i have been able to retain my original goal of keeping everything stock looking. No extra holes have been made in the car and she can easily revert back to stock if need be. All install and fabrication is 100% mine good, bad or indifferent and as stated before if i was chosen, my current sub (13ov2) gets donated to my friends build which will also be 100% installed by me (free of charge, of course).

Just another example of amazing generosity on this site, and hopefully there is some sort of incredible payoff in your future.

*EDIT* The sub will go in my friends car, but if he still needs it my current box will go to Ed (emrliquidlife) because i told him months ago that he could have it and i still have not had time to build my new ported enclosure, sorry ed!! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm local. i wanna stick them in my 08 f150 supercrew. for front stage i got some cdt audio 6.5 components powered by a ppi 2360. an old amp i bought new for my 98 c1500 years and years ago to power the stealthbox i used to have in there that i wound up giving away. anyhow i really don't need the enclosure, just the subs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts