DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the recent IDQ giveaway, which I am honored to have received, I have decided to pay it forward right away. Up for grabs is one pair of Mpyre 65m midbass. For those of you who don't know, these are essentially the Adire Audio Extremis 6.4 with a different cone and basket. More information can be found in the following link:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-midbass-crossover-xbl-2-99-shipped-less.html

These do have some excess glue, mostly on the tinsel leads at the terminals. They also have some excess glue on the spider, but mostly on the outer perimeter so it shouldn't effect the T/S parameters too much. They are essentially brand new, just tested to make sure they are in working order. I have two pairs, but I have decided that a single pair will be enough for me.

Rules:

• Must have atleast 50 posts or be a contributing member for a year.
  • You need to USE them. I understand its difficult to do an installation with a busy schedule so I understand if it takes a while, but please use them eventually
  • DO NOT SELL THEM! If you find that they simply do not fit your needs. Please be gracious enough to start a new thread and give them away under your discretion.
  • Buyer pays actual shipping if applicable.
  • Although this is DIY mobile audio, I am not at all opposed to home/other applications. But keep in mind I will be biased towards mobile applications simply because of the sheer difficulty of being creative in that environment.

The winner will be decided NEXT Friday, April 17, 2009 at 8PM pacific time. Please post a DETAILED description on your proposed installation and other components. I am looking for UNIQUE installations. That is, outside the norm. These work best in small sealed alignments or ported applications, so I don't want to see a traditional IB installation in the door or kick. Under seats, mono in center console, interesting kick panel installations, etc. Squeezing ported enclosures will get extra points in my eyes. I tried, its quite difficult to get ~0.6 cubes in a door :)

There you have it folks. The following isn't set in stone, but a proposal. I would really love to keep this going. So winner or otherwise, if you have something you can give away to a member then do it! It feels great and it will come back to you in a positive manner! I recently gave away some fiberglass enclosures and it indeed came back to me in a big way!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Alright Fast1one, paying it forward is gonna snowball!:) You may have set the bar too high w/ your 'unique' set up...what are ya some kind of ENGINEER or something.:D Anyway, well done and lets see the posts people.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright Fast1one, paying it forward is gonna snowball!:) You may have set the bar too high w/ your 'unique' set up...what are ya some kind of ENGINEER or something.:D Anyway, well done and lets see the post people.
:) You heard the man folks, lets see some posts! Doesn't hurt to try. I never thought that I would win ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Guess I'm bumming as well but i can think of a spot or two in my jimmy to put those

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
well i guess my install will be a "boring" IB firing into the doors setup (depending on how big the sealed enclosure has to be).
Rest of the setup:
DRZ
Linear Power amps
Peerless 3"/Alpine Pro ring radiator in pillar pods
w10gti or diyma in the back.

i'll be comparing a few other 6.5/7's MB's and selecting the ones that work best from 80/100hz-200hz. Other contenders are PRS720 mids and Peerless sls6's.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i guess my install will be a "boring" IB firing into the doors setup (depending on how big the sealed enclosure has to be).
Rest of the setup:
DRZ
Linear Power amps
Peerless 3"/Alpine Pro ring radiator in pillar pods
w10gti or diyma in the back.

i'll be comparing a few other 6.5/7's MB's and selecting the ones that work best from 80/100hz-200hz. Other contenders are PRS720 mids and Peerless sls6's.
Hey, I like the mids and tweets in the pillars though...

These can do well in as little as 4 liters sealed for extension to ~70hz...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
really? these weren't changed at all to be more door friendly if they were intended for car use? i'm sure they would be happy IB, just as the extremis are but weren't intended for.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really? these weren't changed at all to be more door friendly if they were intended for car use? i'm sure they would be happy IB, just as the extremis are but weren't intended for.
Nope...they have a pretty low Q for a door IB alignment, hence I wanted someone with an abnormal setup...

Like I said, work best in small sealed for high power handling or ported...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*Sigh* Well, unless there is an influx of responses in the next 1-2 days I am calling this off. There is no use in making a decision if only couple people post responses. I would love to see some competition, Its supposed to be fun. I guess people aren't willing to get creative for a set of FREE midbass drivers :)

I want to see detailed responses, put some effort into it. Otherwise, Ill end up selling these or trading them. Some of the proceeds will go to this site...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well I'll definitely enter, but I doubt you'll choose me since I would be utilizing them in a home audio environment. I'd be pairing these up with a set of Seas 27TDFC's (Textile Dome) tweeters or a pair of TBI HDSS tweeters in a ported enclosure. May also be mated with a single 10" Dayton HO or a 15" RE SE depending on the room I intend to fill.

I do have 50 posts, I will use them, and I won't sell them.

kidwolf909

Good luck to everyone!

Final result would be similar to my Seas ER18RNX/TBI HDSS home bookshelves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know I'm not a "contributing" member of this site and my post count is less than 50 but I've been a lurker on here for some time now and since the water is a little deep here I don't post too much. I'm merely here to learn but wanted to give this a shot

For the past month now I've been trying to decide on a decent budget friendly 2-way comp set. I've been debating between buying a whole set and pieceing together my own. The further I delve into this the more I think putting together my own is the way to go. When I saw this thread I was pretty excited because the Mpyre's are on my list of mids to use despite many people claiming their more "3-way" friendly. Being able to cop a set of these for free would really help free up some money for some good tweets and a decent passive crossover. I know it may be looked down upon but until I have the knowlege and experience with running active I think it's best for somone like me to stick with a passive setup

Onto the setup. I plan on installing these in the center console of my F-350 van, that's right a van (hopefully that alone puts me in the unique category). They will be amped by a Sundown SAX-100.4. Tweets are still undecided as I mentioned already but getting these for free would really help with that whole issue. Other equipment includes a Sundown NS15 @32hz mated with a 1500D and HU is a Clarion VRX-745VD. Not the usual type of equipment found on this site but for my tastes it works just fine. I'm contemplating whether or not to FG a small housing for the speakers inside of the console, any input is appreciated

If I win I'll be sure to post a build log on here, I doubt it'll impress anyone that much but I'll make sure it looks good. Please save me from my current speakers and give me a chance to break into the shallow end of the SQ game:)

P.S.
If it's any consolation I'm a contributing member to Sound Domain

Pictures:

Plenty of depth for the Mpyre's

Side view of center console

This is where it attatches to

Let me know if you need any more info as I'm really motivated to install these ASAP

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
402 Posts
Bump! C'mon guys, get in here so Fast1One can continue this wonderful freebie train for the community!

·
Registered
265 Posts
im from india, and im dying to have these babies in my car! my school friend is coming down from jersey (07302) next month and he would give them to me! no one in india knows a **** about adire audio or xbl2, so they wont sell for peanuts in india. so thats proof i wont be selling them!
i lust after them like a man possessed! if you think im the right candidate, please choose me. i want to use them as front stage subwoofers in my smallcar and make them go berserk! the fibre glass enclosure is going to be fabricated by my friend and me!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only one day left, is this it?

SubNit has a pretty good idea, but I have some concerns. If you are going to attempt to do stereo reproduction in a car, that location will not work with a 2 way setup. My suggestion would be to run a hybrid three way setup using a small midrange and tweeter passive for 2-300hz on up, then run the midbass mono from then on down. SInce you have a van, you should have plenty of options for mounting the midrange and tweeter. If you can squeeze a 5.25 comp set that would be ideal since you can cross it over very low compared to a small cone or dome (~150hz).

Think of it as extending your budget (since you will spend less on a smaller diameter component set) and getting midbass for free!

Any other takers? Thank you all for your contributions.

Think of it as going

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only one day left, is this it?

SubNit has a pretty good idea, but I have some concerns. If you are going to attempt to do stereo reproduction in a car, that location will not work with a 2 way setup. My suggestion would be to run a hybrid three way setup using a small midrange and tweeter passive for 2-300hz on up, then run the midbass mono from then on down. SInce you have a van, you should have plenty of options for mounting the midrange and tweeter. If you can squeeze a 5.25 comp set that would be ideal since you can cross it over very low compared to a small cone or dome (~150hz).

Think of it as extending your budget (since you will spend less on a smaller diameter component set) and getting midbass for free!

Any other takers? Thank you all for your contributions.

Think of it as going
Everything you said sounds awesome, I would really like to do that. However I did forget to mention that I have a pair of 6x9's in the rear (I didn't bring them up b/c I didn't know if that counts when talking about 2 way, 3 way, ect.) Let me know if that changes anything you said because I like your plan

I'm in the process of building a new sub enclosure and amp rack aswell so I'll have that to add to my build log. I've done quite a bit of work to her already but the real work has yet to come

Here's some more pics of the van just so you have an idea of what I'm working with. Yes that's a fold out leather couch in the back;)

The Back wall

Side view from the back

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those the subwoofers under the seat?

Personally I don't like rear fill used like that. BUT, if you want to get creative search the various threads of L-R rear fill. Its personal preference really, who am I to tell you what sounds good :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those the subwoofers under the seat?

Personally I don't like rear fill used like that. BUT, if you want to get creative search the various threads of L-R rear fill. Its personal preference really, who am I to tell you what sounds good :)
Yep that would be the sub under the seat (15" Nightshade). I've been testing with different ported boxes to see which one would give me a fairly flat bass response. I've finally found a combination or sub/port orientation and tuning/volume that works perfectly well for my tastes (3.2ft^3 @32hz)

Btw it wasn't my idea to put the 6x9's up there. Back when I first started getting into CA my friend (who worked at tweeter back then) had these laying around in his house and decided that's where he wanted to put them. I'm going to take your advice though and look into the different methods to to that.

Feel free to let me know what you think would work best as I'm still fairly new at all the technical aspects of imaging and what-not

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts