DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for 5.25" to pair up with Morel mdt12 tweeter. Location is typical sucky BMW, kick panels firing in your footsies. 5.25", nothing deeper than 2.75".

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, I can tell you what I would use. The Morel Supremo SW5. It's probably got better excursion than just about any 5.25" out there except maybe the Scan lluminator which won't begin to fit. The Morel also has shallower depth than most. The problem is price. If you aren't in a hurry, you can probably find a bargain on them. They ain't cheap new, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
There are a couple of Phoenix Gold Ti (Morel) 5.25 for 150-160 shipped on ebay. Plenty of other Morels on ebay also. Not Supremos for sure, but if price is an issue probably very workable.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Revelators are just under 3", what's a silly quarter inch?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Revelators are just under 3", what's a silly quarter inch?
I'd be willing to bet it's the difference between fitting properly and fitting with a rig job that isn't visually flattering.

I also recomend checking the bay for Morel and also look at zalytron.com to see if there's a Focal mid that will fit the bill.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I guess it depends on the OP's needs. The PG Elites are a bargain and they sound nice, but they have limited excursion. They definitely cannot handle the advertised power crossed lower than 100hz. These are NOT good midbass woofers. Revelators are nice, but they are 5.5" and may not fit in his install. They are also fragile IMO.

The Supremo has 11mm excursion. That's unbelievable for a 5.25" driver. In fact, I don't know of anything that will beat it, save the 15wu Illuminator with its gargantuan 12mm excursion (and massive 3.6" mounting depth). Put simply, if you only have room for a 5.25" driver, I don't think anything will give you better midbass than the Supremo SW5. Despite all that power capability it also has an amazingly light moving mass (half what the Illuminator weighs) and will play as well up high as it does down low. It's really an amazing driver--it just costs a bloody fortune.

Call me a Morel fanboy, but I haven't seen another woofer that can match the Supremo's specs (and it sounds good too!)

You do need to hit it with a lot of power though--only 88dB sensitivity. The good news is that they love power. Keep watching ebay if you aren't in a hurry. Woofersetc has an ebay account also where you can sometimes pick up bargains on open box items.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The Revs have 13mm P-P excursion. But they do have more mass than the Supremos, although with a sufficient motor that is probably not as big a deal as advertised. I haven't seen any distortion tests for the Supremos, but the Morels traditionally have much higher distortion than Scan or Seas top of the line. The Revs are expensive too, although they have been going for about $225 a pair used lately. I understand that they may not fit without mods.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The woofer I used before the Supremo was the Scan 15w and while the Scan was a little warmer, it had absolutely nothing on the Supremo when it came to midbass. For me it was a great tradeoff, plus the Morel won't shatter its pre-cut cone when you feed it some power.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
SEAS Prestige ER15RLY (H1455) 5" Reed Paper Cone Woofer from Madisound

SEAS Prestige CA15RLY (H1216) 5.5" Coated Paper Cone from Madisound

Parts Express:Tang Band W5-704D 5-1/4" Woofer

Parts Express:Aurum Cantus AC-130MKII 5-1/4" Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Woofer

Parts Express:Tang Band W5-1685 5" Underhung Midbass Driver

Parts Express:Aurum Cantus AC-130F1 5-1/4" Woofer

SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8 5" Woofer from Madisound

Out of all those, I'd give those SB Acoustics a try. The point of all this, is you don't need to spend several hundreds of dollars to accomplish what you want.

However, if you're dead set on a Morel offering. Then this one will do it for much less. Hmmmmmm? I wonder if this is the same speaker without the bling facelift? ;)

Morel EW536, 5" Elite Woofer, 3" VC from Madisound

I had really good sucess, as well as Chad with the CA18RNX plus Morel tweeter, the MDT12 specifically for Chad. I'm sure the CA15, and ER15 will mate extremely well also.

Putting a $500.00 worth of woofers on a $30.00 tweeter is ridiculous people. Come on!!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of all those, I'd give those SB Acoustics a try. The point of all this, is you don't need to spend several hundreds of dollars to accomplish what you want.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I want good quality, DIY, on the budget. DIY is the key! My front stage costs $150 if that and it sounds better than most "components".

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You don't need to spend a lot to get the dreaded car audio branded drivers either. Case in point, I paid $300 (slightly used) for my $1,200 Supremo SW6. At full price that's a lot to swallow, but I'll put my SW6 up against absolutely anything you can get from Solen or Madisound for $300.

The Elite home woofer has the motor and similar specs to the car Supremo, with a different cone. The new home branded Supreme woofer looks impressive, but it is only in a 6.5" size. The HU531 is basically the same as the PG Ti Elite. It's limited in excursion, but still a nice driver. I think it's cheaper to get the PG branded ones from Woofersetc vs Madisound.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You don't need to spend a lot to get the dreaded car audio branded drivers either. Case in point, I paid $300 (slightly used) for my $1,200 Supremo SW6. At full price that's a lot to swallow, but I'll put my SW6 up against absolutely anything you can get from Solen or Madisound for $300.

The Elite home woofer has the motor and similar specs to the car Supremo, with a different cone. The new home branded Supreme woofer looks impressive, but it is only in a 6.5" size. The HU531 is basically the same as the PG Ti Elite. It's limited in excursion, but still a nice driver. I think it's cheaper to get the PG branded ones from Woofersetc vs Madisound.
I can swallow $300.00 a lot easier, and it puts them in the range of the Morel Elite woofers new. That makes sense.

I say this all the time, but I really like Morel tweeters, but feel them come up short with their woofers. I don't know about the Elite woofers, but the distortion numbers on their lesser offerings aren't even remotely competitive.

Honestly though, I'd love to get my hands on some Morel, both home and car for side by side testing. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Morel. I REALLY want to like their stuff. I think it's really just because of the aesthetics. They just look REALLY cool. The kind of speaker you can snuggle up in bed with.

I just question a lot of times whether the price is justified.

To the OP, the reason I suggested the SB driver was because nobody is using it. So, effectively I'm suggesting you take one for the team and guinea pig yourself. If you don't want to do that, then either the CA or ER Seas offerings are great choices.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I say this all the time, but I really like Morel tweeters, but feel them come up short with their woofers. I don't know about the Elite woofers, but the distortion numbers on their lesser offerings aren't even remotely competitive.
On the lower end I completely agree. Morel is banking solely on its name. The lower end drivers are not competitive with similarly priced drivers. No way. Hell, even the high end line is ridiculously priced. I'm just glad I never had to pay list price for anything. I do feel the tweeters are competitive, but that's just because I like their sound. They are the best tweeters I've ever heard. If I wanted a tweeter with high end extension, however, I would be very disappointed with them. They just happen to be exactly what I like to hear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The SB acoustics mid/woofer looks like a very good choice. It has good off axis characteristics so long as you can use a 4th order slope on it because of the breakup around 5k you will be good. Its off axis response doesn't start sloping off until around 3k and thats 60 degrees off axis so it should be easy to cross the morel tweeter a little higher then with other woofers.

SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8 5" Woofer from Madisound

1 - 20 of 20 Posts