DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for sealed so the bass is tight and punchy but want it to do low low bass as well. Setup will be purely for SQ. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Wow, I'm sure after all the searchs you have done after posting multiple threads over the weeks about picking this subwoofer vs another you would have stumbled a few recommendations...no?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If you want qtc of less than 0.8 then use a 1.4cu ft box, according to WinISD. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is Arc v2,v3, or whatever. I typed those parameters in a long time ago when I was selecting a subwoofer to buy.

qes: 0.533
qts: 0.468
qms: 3.830
Fs: 23.17Hz

Does this match what you have?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did some math and a 1.1cf box will yield a qtc of 0.6416, but is it better to have a qtc above or below .707? (also considering cabin gain, better above or below .707?)

And do you mean 1.1cf by the total internal box volume, or the volume in the box with the sub also in it?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Wow, I'm sure after all the searchs you have done after posting multiple threads over the weeks about picking this subwoofer vs another you would have stumbled a few recommendations...no?
Somebody had a bad day :D

Actually I see your point plus the thread title says not v3 but not what it is.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
i did some math and a 1.1cf box will yield a qtc of 0.6416, but is it better to have a qtc above or below .707? (also considering cabin gain, better above or below .707?)

And do you mean 1.1cf by the total internal box volume, or the volume in the box with the sub also in it?
He said net not gross ;)

And from everything I have seen quality sound post you can trust his recommendations.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

It's close enough to 0.707. I'd say just leave it alone. If you don't drive the subwoofer at insane volume level, lower than 0.707 can actually be good. The good think about sealed boxes, is that if the subwoofer box volume is off by a little, will not change sound that much if at all.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
would a flatter frequency response be achieved with lower or higher qtc than .707? (still considering cabin gain)
This is something that you can not predict. You cars cabin can alter the bass frequency response in unpredictable ways. The standard theme is that the lower the frequency the higher is the cabin boost. This is one of the reasons that sealed box subwoofers are said to have flatter frequency response (on average) than ported. All you can infer from qtc is that lower qtc gives you a little more low end extension, but at expense of poorer power handling. Lower qtc is also said to be good for transient response.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts

I said 1.1cf net. Net is what you have after sub displacement. Gross volume would be 1.2cf or so.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Hahaha you made my fucking day man that was great

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From quite a lot of experience in a number if cars with the v2, use 1.1cf. It will sound great.
I'm probably gonna go with your recommendation, but just out of curiosity, why do you recommend 1.1cf over the manufacturers recommendation of 0.9cf? The manual that comes with the Arc 12 mentions cabin gain, and suggests their recommendations will have a flat frequency response. So would 1.1cf be too much on the low end? I'm just curious as to what experiences you've had with the Arc 12 v2 that lead to 1.1cf being the best size box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts