DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emphasis on "small", "clean", and "quality". Anything over 40W/channel is fine.

This is in a 2002 Tacoma DoubleCab. The system will use a JBL MS-8 and an AlpinePDX-5 (bridged + sub) driving DynAudio MW160 and MD100 (on axis) up front, with Infinity 6829CFs full range in the doors.

The small amp in question will be driving the DynAudio MD100s, and if 4 channel, also the rear coaxials, otherwise the MS-8's internal amp will drive those.

I don't have much room -- basically just under the front seats. So the first consideration is physical size, followed closely by sound quality. FWIW, a narrow shape is probably better/easier to fit than a square one.

Which amps should I be looking at?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Emphasis on "small", "clean", and "quality". Anything over 40W/channel is fine.

This is in a 2002 Tacoma DoubleCab. The system will use a JBL MS-8 and an AlpinePDX-5 (bridged + sub) driving DynAudio MW160 and MD100 (on axis) up front, with Infinity 6829CFs full range in the doors.

The small amp in question will be driving the DynAudio MD100s, and if 4 channel, also the rear coaxials, otherwise the MS-8's internal amp will drive those.

I don't have much room -- basically just under the front seats. So the first consideration is physical size, followed closely by sound quality. FWIW, a narrow shape is probably better/easier to fit than a square one.

Which amps should I be looking at?
Linear Power 952 would be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions -- I ended up finding an old school Hifonics Hawk (45W X 2, USA-made, 7" X 5" X 2") for a good price. I think that will be fine for my purposes, and will let me run my the PDX-5 in bridged mode for my MW160, and run the MD100 from the Hawk.

Had I not found the Hawk, I think either the LinearPower 952 or the JL XD would have been great choices. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab sport
772 Posts
JL Audio XD amps are small and very clean with great quality

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll bet he found something by now LOL

Reactions: DaveG

·
Registered
43 Posts
lol this site suggests ancient threads as recommended reading, but for others that maybe stumble on this the stx-2 sq zapco is a small a/b with good power and cheap ish ($169 new) tiffany rca's and audio grade amps are what you pay the $50 premium over the stx 2 standard version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts