DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay of course I want SQ, but from my home stuff I seem to like a somewhat warmer sound. Say 4 x 75 to 125 watts per channel, bridgeable for 300+ into 4 ohm for sub. Searched some stuff out about 4 channel amps, but not w/ this particular trait. Budget: cheap would be good, but up to $400 and used is fine.
Ebay is fine and even preferable as I'm 0 for 3 on the classifieds here lately.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If you don't mind something a little older, I'd recommend trying out an a/d/s/ PQ20. 4X70 watts, bridgeable to 2X150. They can often be found under $225 or so, but expect an unused one (if one exists) to bring collector's pricing.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
A/D/S and the DLS are GREAT options!!! I also found the Nakamichi PA-2004 one of the warmest amps I ever used. Actually prefer it over my Mcintosh but didnt fit. I cannot speak about the new ones (4100??? I think??? but they can be had for a little under $400) but my guess is they are probably on par. I also found the new Rockford Power series amps to be very very warm (I was shocked since I was never a fan) and extremely versitile. You can run two channels bridged in 2ohms and pound the sub. The nakamichis do not run well at loads lower then 4 ohms despite there ratings and they do get warm if not ventilated but damn do they sound great when done right!
just my 2cents!

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
audison lrx4.300 4x 65 rms or 2x 210 rms bridged[underrated]
pm me if interested..i'm ready to make a deal

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Old school Soundstream Reference, or new school Soundstream Reference maybe--if you are willing to be the test subject. Old school SS always had a nice warmth to me.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
It might be tough to locate one, but put up a wanted post in the forsale section here and check out ebay.
The Arc Audio 4150cxl/4150cxlr/4150xxk is right up your alley. (All 3 are the same board and performance. GREAT AMPS). This is the most detailed amp Ive used that didnt have any of that sterile sound you dont want. Its amazing. And they can be had for well under $400 for certain. I prefer the look of the cxl/cxlr version but they all sound the same, so...

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Those class A/B amps can certainly feel warm. As for 'sounding' warm vs other amps, it will likely depend on if you are clipping the amp.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction everyone. I made a list of all the recommendations and will do more research and then look for an actual amp.

A/D/S and the DLS are GREAT options!!! I also found the Nakamichi PA-2004 one of the warmest amps I ever used. Actually prefer it over my Mcintosh but didnt fit. I cannot speak about the new ones (4100??? I think??? but they can be had for a little under $400) but my guess is they are probably on par. I also found the new Rockford Power series amps to be very very warm (I was shocked since I was never a fan) and extremely versitile. You can run two channels bridged in 2ohms and pound the sub. The nakamichis do not run well at loads lower then 4 ohms despite there ratings and they do get warm if not ventilated but damn do they sound great when done right!
just my 2cents!
Switching from various home mid/hi SS stuff to my old skool tube amps has given a sound which is lush, yet w/ better resolution in the midrange. I guess this is what I'm trying to approximate.

I actually am running an RF Power series amp right now and I do find it to be pretty nice and on the warm side. I hope this doesn't make my search for something 'sweeter' an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
If you want a warm sounding amp, throw a blanket over your speakers.
Nah, that's "muffled." You want Zuki cause that extra 137 watts over rated power really gets the coils warm.

I had an Alpine MRV series something or other that ran hot as a pistol. Coulda subbed as a pancake griddle. Get yer syrup...yum...

BTW, if you can't tell, I have nothing of importance to add to this thread, but I LOVE the subject of amp sonics and people's allopathic (ie idiopathic) sound prescriptions of them more than my very own ear wax collection.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I thought you guys said a/d/s/ amps were "clean power"? Can it be "clean" and "warm" at the same time? I'm very confused.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
When trying to find speakers that suit our application, a lot of us rely on recommendations. But we also tend to rely on measurements, specs, and independent testing. There are various parameters that you can look at with a speaker that predictably translate into a certain kind of sound. The most obvious is when a speaker exhibits some sort of frequency response anomaly, right? But we can even draw conclusions about what a speaker will sound like based on waterfall plots, THD measurements, etc.

Will it tell us exactly what we'll hear? Nope. But it can be a good starting point.

Maybe you should try a similar approach with amplifiers? Identify which ones exhibit the particular quality you're looking for, and then peruse the measurements and specs to see what might fit your goals.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When trying to find speakers that suit our application, a lot of us rely on recommendations. But we also tend to rely on measurements, specs, and independent testing. There are various parameters that you can look at with a speaker that predictably translate into a certain kind of sound. The most obvious is when a speaker exhibits some sort of frequency response anomaly, right? But we can even draw conclusions about what a speaker will sound like based on waterfall plots, THD measurements, etc.

Will it tell us exactly what we'll hear? Nope. But it can be a good starting point.

Maybe you should try a similar approach with amplifiers? Identify which ones exhibit the particular quality you're looking for, and then peruse the measurements and specs to see what might fit your goals.
Appreciate the measured response. I can see the analogy/parallel between speakers and amps, but it seems at least to me that speakers have somewhat more valid parameters - if reliable:p - that you can model upon or relate to some sonic trait. From a lay point, amps appear to have very similar specs like vanishingly low THD, S/N, adequate damping factors, frequency response, power ratings at a given voltage etc, that don't really give me a clue as to the particular 'quality' I'm lookin' for.
The other side of the argument is that an amp should be just that an 'amplifier' of the incoming signal so neutrality would be the goal. I tend to agree, but since my front end stuff is simple and sans EQ except tone controls, I've exhusted my install options for the present and I have these Focal polykevlars which have a bright tonal balance, my want of a 'warmish' amp is merely a tuning strategy. I did try adding an analog EQ recently, that really muddied the sound even when supposedly switched out.
I know if I'm gonna pick at my system so much I should just break down and replace my HU w/ the active x-overs/TA/EQ I have in the closet, but I'm bein' stubborn and just love my old school Eclipse.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
You could go for an old school Butler Audio Tubedriver amp, which will have a variable tube warmth potentiometer. Yep, really.
The anodized Soundstream amps are "warmer" than the SS Reference series-
I think you would like the MC300. An excellent amplifier... even the most die hard Clark-ie would agree. :)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Well said! I think I speak for most when I say thanks for the education. That is a great article/test, I have read it several times over the years. I do agree with what "monkeybutt" in what he is trying to accomplish. I had a drz9255 and a/d/s three ways with a mcintosh 431 and 404 to run it all active. It sounded really good but was missing something (warmth maybe is a good description). I switched out my Mcintosh amps for my Nakamichi PA2004, PA2002, and PA8001 and there was a very very very noticable difference. It was just what I was looking for. Was it the amps?? I sure as hell think so. Other setups I have had I prefered my Mcintosh over the Naks. I have recently been playing with the new rockford power series and they remind me a lot of the Naks (except a ton more gusto) These are just comparisons I have had in exact setup swap outs. I would like to assume that the rockford and Nak share the same type of distortion order because that makes extremely good sense. But I am one of those that cant stand when people say amps are amps and decks are decks.......... Anyway good luck in your search for the right sound. There are always tube amps!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts