DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations on a JL Sub to use in my Honda CR-V build. I'm gonna be running a RD900/5 to power my front components active (Pioneer Z) and will have around 300w (4ohm) or 500 (2ohm) for the sub section. Prefer sealed enclosure and have a budget of $400 for just the sub. I listen to mostly Heavy Metal (loudly lol)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I’d suggest the 13W3 because it has more excursion and cone area so it will have noticeably more output than the 12W3. I wouldn’t worry about it overpowering because you can always turn the bass amp down some if needed. You will get better sound quality out of the 13W3 vs the 12W3 when playing spiritedly as the he larger sub won’t have to work as hard and so will have less distortion.

Another way to look at it is you can turn down the 13W3 if there is too much bass but you can’t turn up the 12W3 if it doesn’t provide enough bass when you’re listening loudly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yeah I'm thinking a 12W3V3-2. Also considered a 13W3, but was worried that might overpower the front end.
The 12 or 13 would probably suit you well. The reason I suggested the 12 inch driver was because it would be right on budget at right around $300. The 13 inch version is $100 more.

·
Registered
353 Posts
After looking at your post again I noticed you said $400. For some reason I thought it was $300. My mistake! So for sure, if you like JL Audio, then the 13W3v3 would fit your budget nicely.
However, I feel like id be doing you a disservice by not reminding you that for your budget there are many options. The JL was just the first one off the top of my head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts