DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have an 880prs running 2 way active, g18 mids and rainbow tweets in the front, however I would like to add some mids and tweeters in the rear to power off the 880's stock harness as a rear fill.

So that when people are in the car I can turn the internal amp on, and they get more sound around them, and when im solo in the car I can turn the internal amp off....

Im lookin for some real cheap stuff guys. Like maybe $50 total for everything.. or something that.(No problem buying used stuff) Reason obviously It is not going to benefit me, and im not going to be really hearing it.... :)

Here is a question though... Would it be better to get 4 ohm drivers, or will 8 ohm drivers work with HU power?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would I go about getting coaxes to work properly? The 880 is set to active mode so the front will be the highs, and the rear will be the lows, so if I were to wire it up...it would only send the highs and not lows, or vise versa...

Thats why I say I need 2 tweeters and 2 mids.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got some RS125S-8s, and Audax TM025F1 soft dome tweets that have never been used if you want them. ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got some RS125S-8s, and Audax TM025F1 soft dome tweets that have never been used if you want them. ;)
One of my original questions was how would 8 ohm speakers perform with HU power? The same as 4 ohm speakers? Those mids look a bit more beefy than I think I would need..

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I dont get what you are doing.

It sounds like you will be running amplifiers, with 2 channels for mids, and 2 channels for tweets.

Where will you be hooking up these secondary mids/tweets? Does the head unit allow you to do 2 way active + 4 other channels (rear mids/tweets) I was under the impression this head unit wouldnt do that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure the internal amp of the PRS880 actually has the crossover settings applied?
I dont know, I was under the assumption that because the 880 was set into "network mode" or active mode as most people call it, that the front speaker wires off the 880's amplifier were the highs, and the rears were the mids. I dont think it would give out a full range signal being in active mode.

I dont get what you are doing.

It sounds like you will be running amplifiers, with 2 channels for mids, and 2 channels for tweets.

Where will you be hooking up these secondary mids/tweets? Does the head unit allow you to do 2 way active + 4 other channels (rear mids/tweets) I was under the impression this head unit wouldnt do that.
Well I have my 2 mids and 2 tweets powered by my memphis belle, and the HU internal amp off, and the harness for it taped up because im not using it. I am looking to add 2 mids and 2 tweets to the rear so when I turn on my internal amplifier of the HU, it would power them. I dont see a reason why it wouldnt, the RCA's are only receiving a signal, so in theory the 880's amplifier should provide the highs to the front speaker wires, and the mids to the rear speaker wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts