DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running 150 RMS to each channel and would like to know what anyone in this forum recommends for the power im pushing! I tried the JL Audio C5 and the Massive Audio CK5.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What isn't good enough about those speakers that makes you want to replace them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either the audio shop or the work done that makes them go bad (my C5 burned out and the Massive blew out). I don't mind going the fabricated door route but I just want a decent sounding system.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You need to find a better installer. Neither of those speaker sets should have issues on 150W RMS with properly set gains and no boosted EQ settings. If you're cranking up the bass on the head unit, or turning on loudness, or any other artificial boost that will kill speakers fast. You need to be sure there's a high pass filter on them also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im using an Audiocontrol LC8 for my processing, and individual amps for the front, rear, and sub.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It could be that your amplifier is defective. Another possibility is that the speakers were overdriven. Can you rule out the first possibility?

Frankly, I doubt there exist many speakers that can play as loud as this amplifier will allow without succumbing to excursion or something else. The point of sending so much wattage to door speakers is to make them handle dynamic peaks better, not to get louder than what a 60watt amp gives you. A lot of speakers come with a rating of above 100watts RMS, however that's their electrical or thermal power handling. In terms of excursion, most of them will not handle this kind of power when bass hits without bottoming out or sounding harsh unless the crossover frequency is moved up very high. I have driven Alpine Type R speakers (rated 110watts RMS) and HAT Imagine speakers (70watt RMS) with 160watt RMS channels, but I still listened them at normal volume level, the same I would use if I were pushing them with 60watt channel. The Alpine speakers could sound harsh on bass drum and even bottom out on some bassy music if used with a crossover frequency lower than 100Hz or no crossover at all. The HATs could take a lot more power, despite what their wattage rating suggests, but they can sound harsh when bass drum hits even with 60watt RMS power unless crossover frequency is kept above 60Hz. In any case, neither of my speakers blew up when I was running 160watts RMS power to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts