DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Are there any third party measurements of the XXM325? I dont see any at the usual places.
Not that I know of. I've been wanting to get a pair sent to Erin for this purpose and just because I'm curious, but I've been pleased enough with the performance of the XXM325 to not really care. :p

After receiving my first pair of XXM325 from Steven Head and comparing them to my Focal 3.5WM, I sold a pair of my Focal 3.5WM to Ge0 (RIP) and used the proceeds and difference in price to fund a pair of BlieSMa T25B-6 tweeters. I'm still not disappointed with that move, but I also use the 3.5WM in another system.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Do I need to worry at all about power handling matching up with the other drivers? Dyns should be rated at somewhere between 150w (MW172) and 180w (MW182). The Illuminator tweeters are rated at 50w. The 10f is only rated for 10w. I obviously don't have to use full power, but I don't want to handicap the other drivers, either. Are the 10f that sensitive that they'd be able to keep up on such little power?
No - not a concern unless you plan to try and run 30 Second SPL Contests.

The Substage takes most of the system power with the midbass taking, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of the same power while the midrange and tweeters take only a tiny percentage. The human ear is so much more sensitive in the 500Hz-5kHz range that it doesn't take much and 5kHz up is simply such a small diaphragm and movement that it precludes much power requirement at all. My system has 3kW Substage with 150W midbasses and while the mids and tweets have 80-90W amplifiers their sensitivity is turned all the way down and they have no problem keeping up.

So something that can go ~4-500 Hz to ~3 KHz should be appropriate, no?
That's the theory.

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How do previous suggestions compare to the Hybrid Audio Legatia 4s? I see someone has a pair of those for sale in the classifieds.

I also see that NonSolo has the Gladen Aerospace 80s on sale. Less than $500 shipped to the US. I've seen a lot of people use these in high-end installs around here. Are they worth stretching the budget for vs some of the other options?

Reactions: vactor

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reactions: dumdum

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
True. They are almost interchangable. But I think his midbass are plenty capable to play up to either of the 4-ohm 10F versions. 250Hz-350Hz should be easily achievable by both drivers without detriment. And he'll get a bit of added low-end gain due to boundary loading in the corner dash top locations as well. And personally, the +4dB gain in Sensitivity with the Midrange version is significant to me moreso than their minimal HPF cutoff differences. The Fullrange version might offer more options in the XO to the Scan tweeters, tho'. But I doubt that'd be an issue either way.

Still, I would go with the XXM325. ;)
It’s not a 4db difference… both are measured at 2.83v, so with one being 4ohms and one being 8… the sensitivity figure is half the power in the G10, so in reality it’s 1db difference 😉

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would advise you to measure the actual in car response of your midbass before making a decision.

There are a ton of great midranges but a lot of them will not play super low if required. If you have a large null near the top of your midbass passband and buy mids that can't play low enough to fill that you're gonna have a bad time.

You're probably fine given your door locations but it would be good to know for sure.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I would advise you to measure the actual in car response of your midbass before making a decision.

There are a ton of great midranges but a lot of them will not play super low if required. If you have a large null near the top of your midbass passband and buy mids that can't play low enough to fill that you're gonna have a bad time.

You're probably fine given your door locations but it would be good to know for sure.
I mean, that's probably the right way to do it. But I don't know that I can go that long without sound in my car, lol. I don't think anyone would accuse me of being a patient man.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I mean, that's probably the right way to do it. But I don't know that I can go that long without sound in my car, lol. I don't think anyone would accuse me of being a patient man.
Don't be me...

Zero patients.

Now I have dash speakers widebands I am not happy with.

Look at the higher end drivers that play low and high.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Gladens. I got a discount code because I left them in the cart for a couple of days, so they're less than $450 shipped.

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,417 Posts
I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Gladens. I got a discount code because I left them in the cart for a couple of days, so they're less than $450 shipped.
Pay in Euros and should be even less! I stand corrected. They must’ve fixed it because about three weeks ago I ordered something from them and it was about $150 difference between euros and dollars. This was on $1200 though
White Product Font Line Screenshot

Font Line Material property Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I'm with Daloudin... A smaller midrange is almost always better for automotive 3-way setups. You don't need the low frequency advantage of a 4" midrange, so I would recommend getting the high frequency advantage of a smaller 2-5"-3" midrange.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,275 Posts

So very much worth it to proceed by following this advice.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Lots of positive reviews with the Karma Aspect 3’s. Debating these vs XXM325.
where’s these reviews? All I’ve seen is mostly noobs on their Facebook page and we all know how awesome our new speakers or amps sound when we get them 😜.

I have actually heard them at slamology in one of the competing sq cars.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts