DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of JL 8" Stealthbox subs in my car that's served me well. One of the speakers has now blown. Unfortunately, JL doesn't make free air or infinite baffle subs any longer so I'm now looking to replace both but use the same enclosures. Space is an issue so I need to continue to use these rear deck speaker mounts to maximize trunk space. (Yes, I know 8" subs are not ideal but it's a compromise I can live with.)

Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the multiple postings. When I clicked the "post" button, my browser just kept spinning and spinning with nothing happening. After waiting five minutes with the browser just hanging I reloaded the page with the same results. :confused: Since it looked like nothing happened I just started the whole post again. When I realized the post did get uploaded multiple times unfortunately I couldn't remove the extra ones. Apologies! :(

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
OK, I am guessing you have a BMW 3-series. I have used the DLS OA8 open-air 8" woofer in this application as a replacement and it works far better. I have 2 NIB if you are interested. PM me. Whether you get those from me or elsewhere, they will be a step up from the JL's in SQ.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think I have a couple of extra JL 8 IB4s if you are interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In reading up a few posts about the DLS OA8, it sounds like many are happy with them. A question though: I have a JL 250/1v2 monoblock sub amp that can take a 1.5 - 4 ohm load. I see that the OA8 is rated at 8 ohm which would, I believe, cut the power down by half if my memory of basic electronics theory is right. Would/should I need to bridge the speaker with an 8 ohm resistor to bring it down to 4 ohms? (sorry if this is basic question, I'm a relative newbie to this :blush:)

Also, anyone know if a Kicker CVR8 or JBL GTO804 works in an IB setup and if they're comparable to the OA8s?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a JL 250/1v2 monoblock sub amp that can take a 1.5 - 4 ohm load. I see that the OA8 is rated at 8 ohm which would, I believe, cut the power down by half if my memory of basic electronics theory is right.
But you would have two 8-ohm OA8s, which would parallel to a 4 ohm load.

Would/should I need to bridge the speaker with an 8 ohm resistor to bring it down to 4 ohms? (sorry if this is basic question, I'm a relative newbie to this :blush:)
This seems as if it would work (barring the point above), but when you remember that the added power gain would simply go towards heating up the 8 ohm resistor (and it had better be one honkin' big resistor or it goes up in flames), it turns out it doesn't actually work.

Just run the two OA8 in mono in parallel (tie the (+) together, tie the (-) together) and you're golden.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts