DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all - I'm hoping to get away with two six channel amplifiers for an 11 channel build. (10ch + 1sub)

Can you recommend infinite baffle subs with low impedance voice coils?
The recommendations ive seen on the forum (acoustic elegance and Fi are too high for the amp to send recommended power)

The only low impedance driver ive seen is the Incriminator Audio Flatlyne 15in. It offers twin 2 ohm coils allowing a mmats 6150d to more than power it.

Is the IA the sole option on the market though?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've not heard them myself but the IDMax15 has been used by some on this site in IB and had good results. It is available as D2.

Another option is to contact AE or Fi directly with your request. I've read in the past with others being able to get custom builds from some of these manufacturers. Stereo Integrity might also be an option for custom driver.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDmax seems interesting especially with 44mm of xmax. I didnt realize they worked in IB. Im concerned about the power though as their spec sheet says 1200watts RMS?

Stereo integrity is a great call out but it looks like they no longer make their IB friendly HT line. And their SQL doesnt list any info (qts is awfully low so doesnt look like IB is proper)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dayton Ultimax series, one of the best values you'll find ($200 on sale right now) Also you really won't need that much power or xmax.. Unless you just just want to get excessively loud or listen to music that dips into the low 20's or 10's hz, most only gets into the 30hz range though.

Also do you have an idea what you might be lowpassing the subwoofer at? Some don't do so hot above 80-100hz or so. Would you consider running 2 subs?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dayton Ultimax series, one of the best values you'll find ($200 on sale right now) Also you really won't need that much power or xmax.. Unless you just just want to get excessively loud or listen to music that dips into the low 20's or 10's hz, most only gets into the 30hz range though.

Also do you have an idea what you might be lowpassing the subwoofer at? Some don't do so hot above 80-100hz or so. Would you consider running 2 subs?
Wow, $200 and free shipping? It even looks nice (conservative styling is preferred and main reason I dont want to use the IA flatlyne)

It doesnt seem to be an IB driver though? I cant find much data on this latest version but a few HT sites say its not designed for it.

Ill run AD w800NEOs under the front seats (08 BMW 5 series) which have an Fs of 55hz so im hoping they can dig deep enough to cover a sharp rolloff of the IB sub
I dont want to run 2 subs because of power and weight. Im hoping to limit my entire system to two mmats hifi6150ds and bridge chan 5/6 for 1kw at 1ohm

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I have 2 OnCore XW15 they are 45-50lb each. But they dig low, get loud, and are incredible!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Oh btw, they do come with grills ;)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I also know that Stereo integrity SQL15 will play in IB as well.
Speaking in general for a single 15" will it be loud enough and do what we want.
I have tried my single 15 by disconnecting one of them and I must say... Yes it will be great, but if you want more output than you need to thank about dual sub option. Cone area is a king when it comes to IB.

Also FI Has IB subs

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think you have to ask the question "what makes a subwoofer a good candidate for infinite baffle". Here's a couple mentioned that I had ready to plot. This is in a 15 cuft "sealed" box (roughly a trunk volume).

Dayton UM15 - Blue
FI IB3 15 - Red
Idmax 15 - pink
mach 5 mj18 - green

The mach 5 doesn't look like it should have great low extension but with 18" of surface area you actually have a ton of displacement. I think this is a good example of a sub with limited xmax still working well IB due to cone area. I also use to run this driver but will be swapping to a IB3 15 for my new (to me) car.

All subs with 600 watts input signal besides the mach 5 with only 300 watts.

Ultimax is hitting xmax on 600 watts so a HPF probably should be used if you're really pushing it. FI and ID have tons of travel left but you could run two Daytons for the price of one IDmax.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have a modeling software like Winsid (it's free) you can simulate it in about 15-20 cu ft of space and that will give you an idea of the response you will get. Looked good last time I checked but it's been a minute.
(Was typing this out on my breaks but I see I got beat to it)

Based off that I'd go with two ultimax wired in series parallel for for a final 2ohm load (think that gives you 500rms) Would be a little easier on the amp and you'd never get close to xmax while be able to get 2-3db above the plot shown. Which is the set up I'd going with if I didn't already have a pair of RSS390HF's to use.

Those W800NEO's most likely want more air space than you have to give them but I believe some here have used them in the same or very similar application and have been happy.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Is there a big advantage to having low impedence subs for an IB?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Guessing he just wants to be able to wire his amp to have the most power available. I personally prefer higher ohm drives/final loads with solid sensitivity such as the AE SBP 15's but they are too pricey for me... should have picked some up before the last price increase.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Is there a big advantage to having low impedence subs for an IB?
Ohm is ohm, it's more about your amplification and power given at the ohm load

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I understand trying to maximize power of an amp but I thought one of the benefits with IB was not having to pour a huge amount of power into drivers?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
You throw as much as the sub could handle. The crazy part about OnCore is, they play as loud as I throw at them but I know they have enough when I smell the coil. Remember I love SQL..

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Give me a break here, I am trying to understand low impedence subs..

Ohm is ohm, ...
Nice ^tautology^

Ohm is ohm, it's more about your amplification and power given at the ohm load
What doesn't that even mean?

The question was about the ohm level of the coil, and now you say, it does not matter what it is?
(Only the amplifier matters)

You throw as much as the sub could handle. The crazy part about OnCore is, they play as loud as I throw at them but I know they have enough when I smell the coil. Remember I love SQL..
I thought that the curve shown earlier had them reaching XMAX with 300-600W?
When you say as much as it can handle, how does one determine how much it can handle?

Is there a reason why it is difficult to find IB sub with low impedence?
If they are better with lower impedence, then why aren't there any around?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 2 OnCore XW15 they are 45-50lb each. But they dig low, get loud, and are incredible!
good lord - looks like 150lbs of gear - lol
If I could swing the weight and the energy draw, id love to clone your setup

edit: whats the block in the middle? looks large for a distribution

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you have to ask the question "what makes a subwoofer a good candidate for infinite baffle".
I first believed a strong spider, near .70qts, long xmax, and the vendor calling it "free air/ Infinite baffle" was what made a driver a good choice for IB.
I now see it's not so simple and that many with far different specs are perfectly capable yet never marketed as such

The daytons look respectable and a solid value and that idmax (on such low power) is interesting. I wonder howd it perform with 1kw for the same price as two daytons thatd be divided

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
I first believed a strong spider, near .70qts, long xmax, and the vendor calling it "free air/ Infinite baffle" was what made a driver a good choice for IB.
I now see it's not so simple and that many with far different specs are perfectly capable yet never marketed as such

The daytons look respectable and a solid value and that idmax (on such low power) is interesting. I wonder howd it perform with 1kw for the same price as two daytons thatd be divided
You won't be able to throw a true 1k watts on an IB sub, and you won't have to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guessing he just wants to be able to wire his amp to have the most power available. I personally prefer higher ohm drives/final loads with solid sensitivity such as the AE SBP 15's but they are too pricey for me... should have picked some up before the last price increase.
Precisely. Weight and energy are my concern. Im limiting myself to two amplifiers for the entire install.

This is a problem for traditional drivers because with a 4ohm load, the mmats 6150 will likely provide half the power these companies recommend.

Now if I can run it at 1ohm...wa-zang. I could drive near anything

Is there a reason why it is difficult to find IB sub with low impedence?
If they are better with lower impedence, then why aren't there any around?
2x

Do the higher resistance drivers provide a benefit?
Do amplifiers work better when running at higher impedance?
Is there any reason I shouldnt look for the lowest load and allow the mmats to have more juice avail? (even if ill never need it)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts