DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Update: I pinged Fi this morning and they replied below. They didnt specify if they measure by watt or voltage though. All drivers on their site that list it use per watt though, so prob a safe bet

Good day - Ive a question regarding your IB315 V2 subwoofer:

Are the listed SPL specs the same for the 2 and 4 ohm version? The sheet lists 87.3 DB. I just want to confirm that holds true for both options.

Are the SPL specs rated at per/watt or per/2.83v

----------------------------------------

"Yes, the specs are nearly identical.

In the specs, the Re and Bl are different. Bl changes due to the coil windings, but the motor force is the same. One does not have an advantage over the other.

Brian
Fi Support Team
"
I am still unsure whether you really want Low impedence subs.
Maybe ask that Brian fellow directly whether their 2 ohm version will be louder than the 4 ohm version, on the same amplifier.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Would love to but I cant lose the space. (sad noises)
I plan on mounting one driver on top/through the ski pass (cutting the divider and leaving arm rest down) and mounting the two amps and DSP on both sides of the driver on the seat back.

The IB3s look like the best bet though. Driver length, a dedicated IB design, 2ohm impedance, big xmax(34mm - is that actually true..?.), weight, and price seem to be perfect. Only bit I dont like is a foam surround.

And after studying what people in the thread said, i now believe power handling (for free air drivers) is far less important than what I thought.

These FI drivers run 600wRMS and the mmats should put out 550,so even if its less then recommended, itll be fine
Take a look at the motor on this guy, the 4 stack magnet is petty beefy. This is a Ib3 15 (4 ohm VC).

Can someone please model the below FI IB3V2 15 driver for me? WInisd refuses to install on my machine

520 litre trunk space (minimal leaks)
500 watts RMS
2 OHM

Coils SINGLE 2|
FS Fs: 26.1 Hz
RE 1.8
QMS 8.73
QES 0.83
QTS 0.76
MMS 298g
CMS 0.127
SD 810cm^2
VAS 114.5 l
SPL 87.3dB
BL 10.6 N/A
XMAX 34mm (One Way)
RMS [email protected]
Fi IB3 - 4 ohm 500 watt - 520 liters - blue
Dayton Ultimax - 500 watts - 520 l w/ 20 hz 2nd order high pass filter - red
IDmax 15 d2 on 500 and 1000 watts - green

SPL

Transfer function

cone excursion
ib3 - 34 mm
idmax - 44mm
dayton - 19 mm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Take a look at the motor on this guy, the 4 stack magnet is petty beefy. This is a Ib3 15 (4 ohm VC).
Those Fis are my front runner so far. One concern: those are ferrite magnets VS neodymium. The incriminator flatlynes with the neo magnets are considerably smaller. Looks like the overall length and weight of the FI isnt as good.

Thank you for plotting these!
Im unfamiliar with the transfer function, but the SPL plot makes me think the IDMAX, with big power, would knock my damn head off. What a shame the dimensions, weight and current is so great. I just cant deal with so much. The FI, again, looks incredible.

·
Listener of Music
3,594 Posts
I didn't notice anyone mention the importance of x-mech. It's every bit as important as cone area. To me impedance is a non factor if you have plenty of power. Trying all these different subs the last few years IB have taught me more cone displacement and power overcomes all other IB limitations. Some definitely work better more easily. I guess what I'm saying is pick the sub that gives the most displacement (cone area and movement) if you have the power.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I want to go IB too, two 15." IDMAX15 is my first choice. Acoustic Elegance IB15AU is my second choice. Fi IB315 is my third choice. I don't have any more choices lined up after that.

The first two are twice the price of the 3rd for not-enough apparent difference to justify the cost.

Now, add to that, with Fi you can buy just 1 by stepping up to the 18" instead of paying for 2 drivers and still get 75% of the displacement of two 15"s with the single 18" at half the weight and power requirement.

To me this has so far marked the Fi 18" as the best choice in my search.

The 2-ohm version aligns perfectly with your MMATS 6150D.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Im eyeing at the FI18" single driver as well, I I have speakers that will perform well up to 50hz no problem, so that will be my choice of a drive.. It will eliminate 16-70lb of the weight in the car.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I would think that they may play higher than 50-Hz?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
According to my experience the Fi will work far better IB for an SQ type use. The others will work but require EQ. You can see about 1.5-2db drop from 50hz to 30 with the Fi, you will almost not have to EQ that or minimally, the others will sound worse in that range unless you like SPL. With power xmax EQ you can do anything IB, just saying that is tuned for IB when you see the minimal drop in db as you hit 30hz. You will have a xover at 50 or just above and 30 is a good spot for solid bottom. This tuning will be a lot easier to live with and tune in your car. If you want pure output well higher is better you will just have to tune more. If you rather killer output at 50hz you want the one that cranks at 50. But the Fi is right there at 30hz for output too, typically the hardest thing to get without a huge vented box and why people like IB.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts