DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've never had an active setup and im in the process of finishing up the install on mine now.

Does anyone have any recommended crossover points/slopes for my setup so I have a starting point at least?

Equipment:
Pioneer 800prs
Image Dynamics OEM 6.5" mids (in deadened door panel)
Seas Neo Textiles (in a-pillar)

Let me know if you have any ideas on where to start!

· Registered
1,703 Posts
I'll say 3.2kHz on the tweets, 18bd/oct

ID mids Mid Lo 63Hz, 18db/oct, Mid High 2.5kHz, 18db/oct

I've personally ran a set of the ID OEM mids active for 2 months, and I ended up liking them best set at 80Hz mid-lo and 2.5kHz mid-hi, 12db/oct slopes for both. Those are great mids and can take some power......especially after a couple weeks of break-in time.

· Registered
474 Posts
Not trying to high jack ur post :) but, i'm in the process of going active as well....and looking for as many suggestions on this same topic as possible!!!!

my speakers:

focal polykevlar 136k (old school)
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=1157
peerless sls 8's

On the Focal's......the passives are high-passed at 3.5kHz (18 dB/oct.) so, this mean i can take the mid-woofer up to 3.5kHz and the tweeter will handle everything else above that....Right? also, can someone suggest a tweeter that will match up with this woofer?

thanks

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its all good, but you did highjack it just by making that post.

Is it normally ok to have crossover points with some space in between? Also, should I go as low as 50hz on the sub since it's only 1 10"?

· Registered
11,768 Posts
1.Is it normally ok to have crossover points with some space in between?

2.should I go as low as 50hz on the sub since it's only 1 10"?
1.small gap is good.

2. 50hz is fine with a 10.(but try 60 -70 and 40 and 100 and see what you like best.50s a starting point.i like 60.)

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far we've got:

Tweets: HPF 3.2khz 18db/oct
Mids: HPF 63hz 18db/oct.......LPF 2.5khz 18db/oct
Sub: LPF 50-100hz

What kind of slope do most of you guys run on your sub(s)?

· Registered
2,769 Posts
So far we've got:

depends on the sub. mine is at 63hz/18db.

· Registered
1,599 Posts
Is it normally ok to have crossover points with some space in between?
I know 60 already answered, but just for future reference (maybe for a search) the gap is referred to underlap. To the contrary, using two drivers playing the same frequency is called overlap.

1.small gap is good.

2. 50hz is fine with a 10.(but try 60 -70 and 40 and 100 and see what you like best.50s a starting point.i like 60.)
That must be why they call you "60ndown" :D

So far we've got:

I think 18db/oct would be perfect for that ID. Might want to try 12db/oct as well for fun. I think you have some pretty good starting points, but remember tuning is going to be a process, so play around and fine what sounds best to you.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks!

Yeah I was really just needing some good starting points since this will be my first time tuning and active setup. I believe I have a very good ear for tuning, or at least considered the best by my friends who come to me for tuning when they want it done, so once I get the starting points established I should easily be able to play around and go from there.

· Registered
1,599 Posts
thanks!

Yeah I was really just needing some good starting points since this will be my first time tuning and active setup. I believe I have a very good ear for tuning, or at least considered the best by my friends who come to me for tuning when they want it done, so once I get the starting points established I should easily be able to play around and go from there.
happy tuning :)

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,986 Posts
with polarity on all 5 speakers reversed i have my sub at 50 24db, mids at 80-2500 with 12db on both ends, and tweets at 4khz 12db. note that it's a good idea to keep the same order on both ends of a bandpass to avoid phase issues.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
with polarity on all 5 speakers reversed i have my sub at 50 24db, mids at 80-2500 with 12db on both ends, and tweets at 4khz 12db. note that it's a good idea to keep the same order on both ends of a bandpass to avoid phase issues.
so i shouldn't have my mids crossed at 80hz/18db, - 2.5khz/24db?

i would only think it matter where two drivers would meet. for example i wouldn't think you would want to cross a mid at 2500hz/12db then cross the tweeter at 2.5k/18db. different slopes where two drivers would "intersect" i could see possibly being a bad idea.

i would think that at different ends of the bandpass it wouldn't matter. but i wouldn't know, i'm not expert.

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,986 Posts
so i shouldn't have my mids crossed at 80hz/18db, - 2.5khz/24db?

i would only think it matter where two drivers would meet. for example i wouldn't think you would want to cross a mid at 2500hz/12db then cross the tweeter at 2.5k/18db. different slopes where two drivers would "intersect" i could see possibly being a bad idea.

i would think that at different ends of the bandpass it wouldn't matter. but i wouldn't know, i'm not expert.
going from a 12 to a 24db slope flips the phase 180*. that's the same thing as reversing the polarity at the amp. the day i realized that keeping the same order slope on both ends was superior to any type of mixing on them was the day i quit messing with my crossover on a daily basis. i also don't believe in odd-order slopes such as 6 and 18db. i have been proved wrong on the odd-order rule i have though but those cases are rare.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
going from a 12 to a 24db slope flips the phase 180*. that's the same thing as reversing the polarity at the amp. the day i realized that keeping the same order slope on both ends was superior to any type of mixing on them was the day i quit messing with my crossover on a daily basis. i also don't believe in odd-order slopes such as 6 and 18db. i have been proved wrong on the odd-order rule i have though but those cases are rare.
ok, i just don't understand why it would matter. like i was saying i could see it being a problem if you used a 12db and an 18db where two drivers would "intersect". but not using different slopes that are many octaves apart where two drivers aren't trying to blend. i just don't see why it would matter at opposite ends of a bandpass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.