DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried using WInisd to model the box for this SI15D2. Stereo Integrity recommends 2CF Sealed.

Should I follow the recommendation? Car is a MK6 GTI Powered at 1000watts. Could use the space for a vented enclosure if it would be better for the system in this car.

THX

SQL- 15
  • Re: 3.25 Ohms
  • Fs: 23.8 Hz
  • Qes: 0.45
  • Qms: 5.83
  • Qts: .42
  • Le: 2.0 mH
  • Sd: 130.17 in^2
  • Vas: 115 Liters
  • BL: 20.417
  • Mms: 388.55 g
  • Cms: 115 uM/N
  • Xmax: 28.4 mm one-way via 70% BL. (56 mm total p-p linear excursion)
  • SPL: 95 dB (2.83V/1M) – 1 Ohm operation
  • Power Handling: 1000 watts RMS

Sealed enclosure: 2.0 ft^3
Vented enclosure: 4.25 ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz. >20 in^2 of port surface area per driver.

Cutout: 352 mm (13.9”)
OD: 392 mm (15.5”)
Mounting Depth: 8.1”
Weight: 28 lbs
Displacement: 0.16 ft^3

System

DSP
= Helix HELIX DSP.3S / 8CH / All Active

Drivers
Front
T = AUDISON VOCE AV 1.1 CH 1&2 Amp #1 (Sail panels)
M = Morel Vitus Nano Carbon MM2 2-1/2" CH 1&2 Amp #2 (Flush Dash Mount up at windshield)
MB = Audison Voce AV 6 CH 3&4 Amp #2 (doors / dampened)

Sub
Stereo Integrity SQL 15D2 / in 2CF sealed, CH 7&8

Amps
Amp #1 = Sundown Audio SDX-90.2 [email protected]
Amp #2 = Sundown Audio SFB-1800.5D 5 Channel Class D [email protected] &[email protected]

·
Registered
267 Posts

Have you read this yet. I too have an SQL 15 d2 that I bought B stock. Didn't have any use for it but it was a good deal. It's still in the shipping box. But I've been thinking of getting a ported box to spec made but it's going to wait a while before I get to it. I'll follow to see what you come up with. Box will be massive and it contradicts what my goal of not loosing bass and keeping space. But I have spurs if work something where I work 13 days straight and 1 off/13 hour shifts for months and trunk space dosnt matter because I'm never home. I also sit in hours Worth of traffic so that would be fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would try and contact Nick I believe he owns stereo integrity , and tell him your situation like the vehicle you drive , what amp you plan on using to power the sub , music preference and db level or output you listen to your tunes most of the time as well as where in the car the sub is gonna be placed , he should be able to steer you in the right direction, if some one with the same sub doesn’t jump in the help first . I personally don’t have experience with that particular sub otherwise I would chime in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so call the number on the Stereo Integrity Website.
To me the question is about, does it make sense, in a hatch to run a port.
Would sealed at 2cf be enough, better for getting mid-bass right.

I have learned quite a bit on this forum since I started building last month.
I'm thinking the hardest part will be tuning the Helix.
Maybe I can convince Nick at Vanguard to remote tune it.
Im in Cleveland and will drive, but other than him I don't know who is good with DSPs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Personally i would go with a sealed box , specially with a 15 inch sub. With the adequate amp according to specs , there should be plenty of bass output down low and higher up , how high in the frequency spectrum? That would depend on the tuner and what mids the sub is matching to . But if your main goal is Max spl than no doubt that’s achieved with a ported box not a sealed one. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
One SQL15 on 1kW in a hatchback in 2cf sealed would be enough for all but a dedicated basshead.

If you want vision blurring bass then go ported but sealed will make your mirrors useless (my single sealed 12 does) and give you enough bass that it will be difficult for the midbass to keep up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
270 Posts
You may be able to go closer to 3-3.5cu/ft if the tuning is increased to 30-34hz range. I’d have to agree with the consensus that sealed would be the correct direction. I am a basshead and run both dual 15 ported or a single 15” sealed. The ported enclosure requires me to run the 8” midbass speakers down to 70hz range to pickup some of the higher frequencies the ported enclosure doesn’t like. This creates numerous issues that causes compromising. Needless to say the sealed enclosure mates far better with my front stage and has exponentially better sound quality. When it’s time for my dirty rap fix nothing beats the power handling and gains from a correctly built ported enclosure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would out run the Audison Voce AV6s with a port in a GTI. I'll make a sealed first and later maybe up the mids to AF GB60 which might work with a port. I guess I will just try 2CF as stated on the SI site. Im thinking of putting it against the drivers side firing at the passenger side. This would allow me to fold down the large side of the split.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It looks like we’re making progress 👍. I have tried both a 1.0ft^3 sealed enclosure and a 2.0ft^3 ported box with my Boston acoustics g3-12 and I much prefer the sound quality the sealed box provides vs the ported one . Although, I’ll admit the sound output of this same sub is insane with a square port , shaking the mirrors and your stomach with heavy bass songs , but it would get peaky and annoying if you push it hard not to mention it took most of the cargo area of my then Toyota FJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Hey guys, Nick Lemons of Stereo Integrity is pretty active on the "Stereo Integrity Owners" Facebook group, as are many other helpful people.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a question. I bought a B stock SQL 15 D2. Didn't need it but I couldn't pass up the deal. I'd like to port box this thing. Let's say i dropped the box size to 3.5 and tuned to 26hz. Recomended port area is 20". Does that 20" change if I make the box smaller?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a question. I bought a B stock SQL 15 D2. Didn't need it but I couldn't pass up the deal. I'd like to port box this thing. Let's say i dropped the box size to 3.5 and tuned to 26hz. Recomended port area is 20". Does that 20" change if I make the box smaller?
The change in frequency is what affects the port area - box size does not matter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
So I could drop the box size and not change the port area as long as I don't change the tuning frequency. Would something like this work.

Or should I just give it the full 4.25 that's recommended.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
So I could drop the box size and not change the port area as long as I don't change the tuning frequency. Would something like this work.

Or should I just give it the full 4.25 that's recommended.
PM Sent

1 - 19 of 19 Posts