DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just as Murphy's Law would have it, I spent years compiling my dream system only to end up with a car that won't house it. So now I have to downsize to as small of a system as I can. I love the Pioneer P99 HU, so I will push for that. I need to select an awesome pair of 3-ways, as well as an amazing 8-inch sub. I would love to hear your recommendations on the best 3-ways and 8-inchers and lightweight amps currently available. I'm a little behind the times.

I was told this stuff would be awesome if I had an Astrovan, but not optimal fitment for my Porsche... who knew?! ;)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
It can all go in the Porsche! If your installer can't do it find someone who can!

Which porsche is it?

Tweets and 4" will fit in dash, little effort on most 911s, 6.5" in the doors again not too much work and 12" sub behind seats, on parcel shelf, in passenger footwell or in smuggler's box!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
ODR was awesome...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Baron,
It's a boxster, so there's not the room that a 911 has. Besides the fact that I have 2 sets of tweets, 2 sets of mids, 2 12s, the HU, the controller, a processor, 4 amps, and the changer... WAY too much stuff... I track the car quite a bit, and the weight of the system is no bueno for that type of thing. Also, I know some of it can be done with some work, but it wouldn't be optimal. The installer is good... Jamey Rawlings... and he prefers a 3-way setup for these cars. He's prob done more Porsches than anyone else out there, and very good work, so I'm not arguing. Any ideas on lightweight alternatives?

Aaron, thanks.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
no prob, we just gotta look out...

You removed the stuff, I'll edit, wasnt trying to be a tool...

get your 50 posts (for the classifieds) the proper way (you seem more than apt to add something here) and you'll do great things..

Cheers..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just as Murphy's Law would have it, I spent years compiling my dream system only to end up with a car that won't house it. So now I have to downsize to as small of a system as I can. I love the Pioneer P99 HU, so I will push for that. I need to select an awesome pair of 3-ways, as well as an amazing 8-inch sub. I would love to hear your recommendations on the best 3-ways and 8-inchers and lightweight amps currently available. I'm a little behind the times.

I was told this stuff would be awesome if I had an Astrovan, but not optimal fitment for my Porsche... who knew?! ;)
It may be your lucky day! I happen to be selling my pair of bnib Alto Mobile Falstaff 8s. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/105894-bnib-alto-falstaff-8-subs-2-a.html These are arguably one of the best sq subs ever produced. They are definately my favorite of the subs that I've tried. They are 2.75" deep and will work in .25 cu ft each!

As far as 3 ways go, a lot of that boils down to personal prefernce. Hertz Mille, Hybrid Audio Legatia SE, Morel Elate, Audison Thesis, Dynaudio Esotar or Esotec, Rainbow, Seas, Scanspeak, Focal, etc... There are a multitude of choices available. It's impossible to say what is best as everyone appreciates different things.
With that being said I have both the Hertz Mille and HAT SE 3 way sets (not selling, haven't even listened to them yet!) and I would love to have a Dynaudio Esotar or Focal Utopia Be No 7 set! I would also really like to have a listen to a Scanspeak setup as well... So many good choices!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adhumston,
Wow, I very well may be interested! I just found out today, however, that a 10" may work best for my app... you wouldnt happen to have one of those too, would you?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
For the boxster i'd have a look at the brands suggested above and: Welcome to JEHNERT Sound Design

Have fitted various versions of their kits over the yaers and they don't disapoint.

Though with ODR don't you have 6" midbass, 4" mids and tweeters? Should be able to squeeze them in and the HU, just pick up some lightweight amps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TBG,
Thanks for the link, looks clean. I, however, have a mix of ODR and PRS speakers: 2 pairs tweets (1 1/8 hard, 1 1/4 soft), 6 1/2 midrange, and 6 3/4 midbass. And, of course, the monster 12" subs that don't fit. I'm still trying to work through all of this. :confused: I'm sure it'll turn out awesome, as always, though.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
For the boxster i'd have a look at the brands suggested above and: Welcome to JEHNERT Sound Design

Have fitted various versions of their kits over the yaers and they don't disapoint.

OP Jaydoggster -

My wifes MY01 Boxster has the factory's Techquipment HiFi kit fitted which looks very much like it was fabricated by Jehnert; the door panels are the same as the ones shown on the Jehnert web site, as are the top dash mids/tweeters. Add the Techequipment HiFi package's higher power amplifier and that's the Tech/Porsche HiFi kit. Purchased & installed by Porsche AG so it wasn't cheap although the audio output is pretty dam good. Add a sub and I'd call it a day. Our Boxster's HU unit is the Becker/Porsche 220 FM/CD unit w/ CD changer in the trunk.
The electronics are old technology by today's standards however the Jehnert style doorboards could be quiet useful for your Boxster's install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts