DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I reconed my idq 12 after blowing it and now it honestly sounds worse because there is so much vibration coming from the spider or the tinsel leads I cant figure out which. I had adjusted the gain and blew the last one because I didn't use a dmm and just a hair of a turn was enough to give it coil rub.

When I first received the sub before I blew it I had a similar problem but it was just a loose screw on the spider clamp. I called image dynamics and the guy on the phone (Dan) told me that the tolerances for the spider and the landing are very tight and that it can sometimes rub on the landing causing a vibration sound. He told me to do a compete 180 with the recone so I did that and now it just seems to buzz from the tinsel lead areas. He also is sending me a new mounting ring and basket. Also the basket was cracked on just about every screw hole from me screwing it down so dam hard trying to get rid of the vibration before, so I epoxied all the cracks which didnt seem to help.

I think it has something to do with the tinsel leads because on the spider that was originally in it not sure if it had been reconed, but the tinsel leads were not woven through the supplied holes on the spider. The new recone the tinsel leads are woven through the spider.

I had taken some pictures and was going to make a thread on how to recone your idq just for fun but didnt post it because I cant even get mine to be right.

Ill post a video of the vibration in a little bit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know its alighned correctly because I can push down gently on the center and go all the way down without it rubbing or making any funny noises like it did when it was blown, it sounds great as long as it isn't turned up. How much suspension/motor noise is normal? I have a feeling that the basket is cracked in so many places and that's why but it seriously sounds like the noise is only coming from the tinsel leads on either side. All the screws on the spider clamp were tightened in a star fashion like a car wheel and I used a hand philips and got them as tight as I could. I will try and reset it again, should I screw down the surround clamp or the spider clamp first if it makes a difference ?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
your ability to push the cone down manually has nothing to do with it being aligned correctly. did you use the alignment strips?

also, no way the speaker leads are causing it since the IDQ series have them integrated into the spider.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
it's prob the basket

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For a control test I put the blown cone assembly back in place using shims and everything like a normal recone and fired it up and the noise is gone all I hear is a blown speaker no vibrating buzzing sounds.

I have no idea what to do now I bought this recone new from phatboyaudio off of ebay. I will try contacting them I guess.

Its not alighnment, its not the basket considering the blown one had no suspension noises, which leads me to beleive it has to be the tinsel leads. I dont know how there supposed to be but some are glued in the holes and some are not. Im thinking about glueing them in place or weaving them threw the holes that were not used to get rid of slack, or I might just take them out of the holes all together like the old assembly.

I will probably do option c and that will eliminate another element of what could be the problem and will leave the whole assembly to be blamed for the noise. I can shake the sub and move it with my hand and nothing moves.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The original moving assembly had tinsel leads that were not weaved, the new one is but only weaved through half the holes I saw on pictures on here on some idq12.s and there tinsel leads go through all the holes.

By half the holes i mean there are two sets that go across the spider on each positive and negative lead and on my recone it only goes threw one set on each lead not both.

Update: I was right the tinsel leads were the source of the noise atleast for now, I took a skinny screw driver and gently held down on the tinsel leads from under the spider by going threw the loops and the buzzing subsided. So I think If super glue them to the spider it should stop because quite a few were not glued in place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Super glue FTW. I was right all along, the tinsel leads not being glued in place was the source of the noise. There is a tiny bit of something vibrating but I am not worried about it because you cant hear it unless its free aired.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
that tiny bit of something may be very important. as for the super glue glad it worked hope it won't invalidate ur warrenty

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
ya recones came with a one year warrenty at least they use to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I didnt buy it from image dynamics. I got it from phatboyaudio off of ebay. I don't see why it would void the warranty because its just super glue and can be easily removed with acetone. There supposed to be sending me a basket but I never got an email back after them telling me to email them my shipping info.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
doesn't have to be from ID just from an ID dealer. there's tons of them on ebay now. you'd be suprised on how quick they may void the warrenty because of the superglue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dam, well maybe I will be removing it and giving the dealer a call and see what he says about it. I'm not to worried about the warranty, the chances of the recone failing from manufacturer error has got to be very very slim, and it wont be blown this time because the gains will be properly set. Hmm I think my last sentence contradicts its self because I got the new recone with problems so maybe I do need the warranty. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts